Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.12.09, 05:51 AM   #1
hyper-me

Dnano, my 2 cents

I love theese cars ! I wanted to share my experience in hop-ups and gather other peoples recomendations as well. In my opinion the 2 must haves are ball bearings and a gyro! I have played with almost every upgrade possible all except alluminum hubs and alluminum suspension plates and the bearings and gyro are absolutely needed to compete. I have a car that has every possible hop-up and my daughter has a car with only bearings and a gyro and she is tough to beat! before installing the gyro she could not beat me at all, my track has long straights so small tech. tracks may have different requirements for hop-ups. without a gyro when you floor the car on a long straight it tends to pull to one side or the other, and when comming out of a turn to a long straight it can be difficult to keep straight but the gyro compemsates and really tames the beast! the bearings will increase speed of the car a great deal too. I will list what I feel are the most needed hop-ups from most needed to least and any input is welcome good or bad

1-ball bearings
2-gyro
3-upgraded programable radio really helps tune the car (i use helios)
4-rear differential
5-damper and t-plate combo depending on track. for my track which has 28 foot straights i prefer a medium to increase my speed. for a more technical track i reommend a soft t-plate
6-after you have all that stuff you are ready to play with pinions and motors but i assume the alluminum upgrade parts will help with added weight to stabalise your car with the more powerfull motors

again, i have read many opinions about whether or not you should use a gyro but my daughter and I are here to testify it is night and day difference !!!
hyper-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.09, 07:52 AM   #2
ROBG
Z MAIN RACING

I aggree with everything, if you get bearings and a gyro then you can compete. So far I have all the hop-ups on my FXX but a gyro, I notice that when I gun it on the straight it will veer either left or right. I have also tried a friends with a gyro in it and like how it is on the straight, but feel that it's too controlling in the infield. I have a Lambo coming my way soon and will just throw in bearings, diff, and gyro to see if there is any difference, then of course I'll have to completely hook it up because I can't help myself.

Last edited by ROBG; 2010.12.09 at 07:55 AM.
ROBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.09, 08:20 AM   #3
machgo5go
DJ Eddie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBG View Post
I aggree with everything, if you get bearings and a gyro then you can compete. So far I have all the hop-ups on my FXX but a gyro, I notice that when I gun it on the straight it will veer either left or right. I have also tried a friends with a gyro in it and like how it is on the straight, but feel that it's too controlling in the infield. I have a Lambo coming my way soon and will just throw in bearings, diff, and gyro to see if there is any difference, then of course I'll have to completely hook it up because I can't help myself.
Nobody can't help themselves, Robnano!
I spend more on hop up parts then the price of the GTR before even arrived!
MR-03 S2K Narrow AT60T Nihm
MR-03 BRZ Narrow PN70T Nihm
MR-03 Enzo Ferrari GT Concept Xspeed SP2012
MR-03VE 2005 NSXGT AT 12000KV w/Lipo
MR-02 Nissan R390 GT Lemans 39T PN
AMZ Benz TC 8500KV
X Power IDT Ultra 5600KV Audi
X Power IMT Ultra 6800KV M3
MB-010 FT86 Comic Racer 39T PN
MF-015 Mclaren MP4-25 50T w/Lipo PN
MR-01 Mugen NSX-GT 02 X Speed Retired
dNaNo FX-101MM T2 XANAVI NISMO GT-R

MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP " A Place To Escape from Reality"! TD
214 State St. Suite 209
Hackensack, NJ 07601. 201-820-1347
LIVE Mini-Z RACING EVERY Fri at 7 PM.
Outdoor Saturday On Road Racing 1/8GTVE,1/10TC&USGT

DG DESIGNS

machgo5go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.09, 08:24 AM   #4
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

remeber the sensitivity of the gyro is adjustable... if you feel it compensates to much you can turn it down...

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
JuniorWKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.09, 08:27 AM   #5
cosmicsoul
The Mad Mexican

I have tried with an with out the Gyro. I find with the KT-18 the Gyro compensates for a lot of the adjustmenst that you can not make with it or tuning adjustments to the car itself.

You should be able to tune your diff to keep the car from hooking. Have you tried a disk dampner? This seems to help more than anything I have tried.

The right tire combo is crucial as well. These cars are completely tuneable as much as a Z, they are just hard to work on with the tiny parts.
Old 2010.12.09, 08:44 AM   #6
hyper-me

every little bit helps, but my daughters modina 360 was pulling alot and all i did was instal a gyro and it was straight as an arrow lol she was so happy
Old 2010.12.09, 09:15 AM   #7
ROBG
Z MAIN RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by machgo5go View Post
Nobody can't help themselves, Robnano!
I spend more on hop up parts then the price of the GTR before even arrived!
well we have a sickness, that's why we all get along so well. the hardest part is explaining this to the wife.
Old 2010.12.09, 09:17 AM   #8
ROBG
Z MAIN RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorWKR View Post
remeber the sensitivity of the gyro is adjustable... if you feel it compensates to much you can turn it down...
I have to learn how to use that thing, Maj let me borrow it because I have way too much roll. I like the potential stability on the straight but i don't want that to mess up what I have in the infield.
Old 2010.12.09, 09:29 AM   #9
ROBG
Z MAIN RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicsoul View Post
I have tried with an with out the Gyro. I find with the KT-18 the Gyro compensates for a lot of the adjustmenst that you can not make with it or tuning adjustments to the car itself.

You should be able to tune your diff to keep the car from hooking. Have you tried a disk dampner? This seems to help more than anything I have tried.

The right tire combo is crucial as well. These cars are completely tuneable as much as a Z, they are just hard to work on with the tiny parts.
I think I have to take off another clip from the diff. I will try that before a gyro, I kind of want to avoid that.
Old 2010.12.09, 09:30 AM   #10
JuniorWKR
White Knuckle Racing

turn inertia off... and you can then adjust steering and throttle sensitivity seperatly to your liking... i think i have my steering at 30 and throttle at 40... it comes stock at 90

LIVE Mini-Z Racing Every Fri and Sat Nite 7pm - Dnano Racing Every Mon Nite 530pm - 1/16th - 1/18th Off Road Racing (times and days to be announced)
JuniorWKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.12.09, 09:36 AM   #11
hyper-me

I dont think that will help, my daughters car was running with the dif like it came stock (very loose) i think only one clip right? and it pulled bad. all the cars I run have the upgraded ball diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBG View Post
I think I have to take off another clip from the diff. I will try that before a gyro, I kind of want to avoid that.
Old 2010.12.09, 09:49 AM   #12
ROBG
Z MAIN RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorWKR View Post
turn inertia off... and you can then adjust steering and throttle sensitivity seperatly to your liking... i think i have my steering at 30 and throttle at 40... it comes stock at 90
oh cool thanks, I'll have to stop in this weekend and give it a shot.
Old 2010.12.09, 09:50 AM   #13
ROBG
Z MAIN RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-me View Post
I dont think that will help, my daughters car was running with the dif like it came stock (very loose) i think only one clip right? and it pulled bad. all the cars I run have the upgraded ball diff
that's what i have on mine, the upgraded diff. untouched.
Old 2010.12.09, 10:02 AM   #14
hyper-me

im unsure, but wouldnt tightening the diff make it track straighter?
Old 2010.12.09, 10:15 AM   #15
ROBG
Z MAIN RACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-me View Post
im unsure, but wouldnt tightening the diff make it track straighter?
I was told by taking off the rings it won't be so wound up and will plant itself better, but I honestly don't know. I haven't touched mine yet so I will at least have a bit to play with.