Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2012.09.08, 06:01 PM   #1
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Cool cowboy's project page

hey guys,

Since most of you know 2 things about me i figured a page for those 2 things is needed so you can check up on things as they progress.

For those of you who don't know me:

1. I am a natural born tinkerer...even if the model/chassis works fine I'm always one to try something different.

2. I am an epic procrastinator! I've had some great ideas in my head for years....sooner or later I'll try them out. I have a bunch of ideas on the go and a couple new ones coming for me in the mail...with our summer racing season coming to a close I figured I'd make a go of getting some done.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.08, 06:07 PM   #2
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

my first finally completed project is one I'd been thinking about for a year or so. When i finally got a drill press attachment for my Dremel i figured that would give me the steady drilling I needed to complete this task. It's a simple project but a good start for my pile of stuff I want to do...

I don't know if i'm the first to try it but I thought since I had a complete MR02 A-Arm sitting around doing nothing why not mount it to my MR015.

This bad boy will be asf (ra-22) in a couple weeks...it's going to be a short wheelbase racer and I hope it'll kill the competition.

my custom body album...
Old 2012.09.09, 09:51 AM   #3
RFick73
N.E.R.D.

Looks good Derek!

Can't wait to see it run!
-=MA-015 Custom Citreon DS3 WRC 2011=-
-=
F1 Jordon Honda EJ11 2001 Jarno Trulli "Bitten Heroes" #12=-
*EX-6R*
RFick73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.16, 01:54 PM   #4
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

So I bought a tamiya airbrush kit about 6-7 years ago for my wife when she was making signature decorative chocolates. It got used once and she didn't like it....

Pulled it out today to start with my new color scheme for all my upcoming white bodies. No more plain white for me.

Thanks to my buddy Landon I'm going to try and reproduce his awesome work with my Repsol Honda HSV on all my racing fleet.

my custom body album...
Old 2012.09.16, 02:23 PM   #5
xmodcanuck

That's one thing I wish I had, an airbrush. But then I'd need an air compressor and probably a garage to paint in. Wait a minute, that airbrush just got really expensive. Never mind, I'll stick with cans.

Can't wait to see what you produce.
xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.09.16, 02:33 PM   #6
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

The one thing I'm going to have to work on is my taping skills. Areas that didn't get sealed quite enough have obvious colour flares.

I'll get some shots done by end of today...my practice 430SC body is up to its red layer so I imagine I can get close to finish tonight.

I'm hoping to get a compressor as well. The tamiya is a basic air pump and works fine but it'll take forever to do 10th scale bodies with it. I got a Badger dual stage siphon system from a friend in a huge RC gear purchase so I'll have that to use as well.

my custom body album...
Old 2012.09.16, 05:47 PM   #7
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

test body done...

The red is a bit more Ferrari Red than I'd like compared to the candy red Landon got on my Honda and the Orange when sprayed onto a primer comes out a bit more orange yet in the container has the golden hue I was hoping for. I hope when my next round attempt goes on my Mosler it'll look a bit more golden orange.

I'm going to let this cure a couple days and then wash it to remove the tape residue...then clearcoat and my first ever completed paintjob will be in the books.

my custom body album...
Old 2012.10.01, 08:55 AM   #8
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Tried some color mixing ideas to match the great color Landon used for my Repsol Honda...

A mixture of Orange, white, yellow and a bit of gold to get close:

Gold underlay with a clear orange topcoat:

I like both but I'm going to try a combination of the two mixes to get what i'm hoping to acheive...I'm hoping mixing a tiny bit of yellow in with gold will lighten it and then the clear orange top coat will hit the mark I want.

I was also able to get my favorite two part epoxy from a place in the city so I'll be starting a scratch cfrp chassis in the very near future. I just have to decide which of my many ideas I should start with...

my custom body album...
Old 2012.10.01, 11:40 PM   #9
xmodcanuck

I think the first one is the best of the two. Throw that colour on with some clear and call it a day. What is that body?? Doesn't look like a mini-z.
xmodcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.02, 05:08 AM   #10
MXMRCR

where did you get the 458 from already?

NoWayPedro
#BTRR
MXMRCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.02, 05:11 AM   #11
d1nzfe

Looks like its 1/24 models.
Last one looks like EP3?
d1nzfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.02, 07:40 AM   #12
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

yep...they are both models. The 458 is a Revell and the 03Civic was a Fujitsu model.

Part of the grand schemes for the future.

my custom body album...
Old 2012.10.05, 12:10 PM   #13
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quick bit of a laugh for the club...

Prepping my whitebody Audi for paint and under inspection i found 4 paint smears on the rear bumper area...

all of them were yellow.

guess someone still has a bit more work to do when trying for the pass.

Repsol Audi and Lexus SC430 in a couple days.

my custom body album...
Old 2012.10.07, 01:58 PM   #14
RFick73
N.E.R.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
Prepping my whitebody Audi for paint and under inspection i found 4 paint smears on the rear bumper area...

all of them were yellow.

guess someone still has a bit more work to do when trying for the pass.
No comment!
-=MA-015 Custom Citreon DS3 WRC 2011=-
-=
F1 Jordon Honda EJ11 2001 Jarno Trulli "Bitten Heroes" #12=-
*EX-6R*
RFick73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012.10.09, 12:30 AM   #15
DaveW

Wow. No Green?
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote