Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.09.20, 05:07 PM   #31
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Send a message via AIM to marc Send a message via MSN to marc
I am very, very happy with the way my MR02 RM Modena is set up, can I use the same parts for the MR15? Except of coarse tie-rods. Or is setting up the MR15 completely different as it tends to body roll more than the MR02's will? My Modena is 100% purely Kyosho upgrades with the exception of a PN motor.
What's recommended for the MR15? And is the 934 RM or MM? I think the 935 is MM isn't it?
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.09.21, 01:10 AM   #32
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
934 and 935 = 86mm, MM starts at 94mm with PN/ATM mounts. You can modify the 935 body to run 94mm MM by shaving the wheel wells. I think that 98mm is also capable with a little shaving of the body and the LM mount. It just looks a little funny...

Setup is a bit different, but similar. You get more roll with the 015, so you have to expect that. You want to keep the car as low as you can. Using low profile front tires is a good start. I prefer to use lower profile front tires to lowering the car via shims/low springs. It also increases agility, which if you use harder front tires to counter traction rolling, you will lose. That is the main asset of the 015 over the 02. It is considerably lighter than an 02, and rotates very well in the slow corners.

I like 1-2d camber on the 015 depending on the layout, body and tire choice. 0d knuckles will give you the fastest steering response, which is not necessarily a good thing for the 015 since it rotates well as it is.

What I would do, is use the stock RM mount first with the stock motor, or PN 70t. Then see what it needs from there. The 3Racing disc damper would be the only one that I can suggest that will work with 86mm.
Old 2008.09.21, 10:40 AM   #33
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

You mention layout, really easy at home when I have it set up and it stays the same pretty much all week. But when I go to the local club, it's different all the time so I never know how the track will be laid out. I also don't know if we're racing on two different tracks, one for Z's and one for 1/18's, or what. So it's hard to set up the cars specifically for layout's. I need to set it up for anything.
Old 2008.10.04, 10:34 PM   #34
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Hi there, I'm tempted to purchase the MR15 2.4 chassis, but I'm wondering. Can the 934 MR15 be competative? And what's the very best wheel offset I can put on this car? I want to use Team Atlis's gold wheels on it. I'm pondering about buying and building an MR15, or the Dnano's.
Also, what's a better body to race on the MR15, the 934, or the Ferrari 355? Or are they pretty much the same? Their dimensions seem to be the same so it is just down to a matter of choice?
We don't race the Dnano's at our club as not enough people have'em, but I enjoy racing theme more on my Mini96 at home, than the bigger Z's. What do you think? I just think the street-red 934 is such a gorgeous car and would look fabulous on the track at the club.
Old 2008.10.05, 11:01 AM   #35
EMU
EMUracing

I dont feel that the 934 or 355 are very competetive. They shouldnt be too poor, but they have their limitations. The RM setup really restricts how hard they can be pushed, and the shorter wheelbases lower the corner speed. The 355 would be better than the 934. My favorite 015 body is the Fairlady 350z, followed by GTI run in the 94mm MM setup.
Old 2008.10.05, 12:07 PM   #36
flat 4

Send a message via MSN to flat 4
When I ran my 934 I would hit the apex early and get right back on it as quickly as possable.That work pretty well most of the time We also ran on a short track thoe. Also the Countach and MINI are decent bodys as well.
MA010
flat 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.05, 06:31 PM   #37
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

I've had problems with the Mini Cooper before flipping if went too fast around turns. Although I probably didn't have it set up properly who knows. I am also tempted by that silver Mini Cooper S with the chequred roof.
Old 2008.10.05, 09:42 PM   #38
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Well, I decided to go ahead and get me an MR15 2.4 chassis and the Team Atlis wheels so I can run my Porsche 934. I'll post pic's of the car as I receive the parts. I found out that the wheel offsets are 1N and 1W, so that's what I got in the Atlis gold wheels which should look fabulous on the Porsche. I also got a set of Atomic tires which I've been likeing pretty well and should give the Porsche some good grip.
My next step is I think I'll get Reflex Racing's stage one set up first.
I also picked up some "PROPER" Mini-Z tools and gear for the track.
Old 2008.10.06, 01:00 AM   #39
EMU
EMUracing

For the disc damper, I recommend either the 3racing DPS, or the Kawada DPS. Those are the only two that come out of the package to work on the 86mm RM setup.

If you use the Atomic 90mm RM mount, you would be able to use the Kyosho DPS or adaper to a PN post/plates.

I have mixed and matched many parts to fit the setups that I have wanted to do. My favorite 86mm setup was the 3Racing damper post mount, combined with the PN 98mm MM FPS damper plate with Atomic white delrin discs.

The car in the picture was setup for the 935, however if I were to run the 934, I dont think I would need to make any adjustments besides tires (wheel offset was 1n/1w). This car used an old MR01 PN motormount and 01 ball diff. The same setup could be done with the newer 02 motormount and 02 ball diff and would probably perform better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 86RMdamper.JPG (91.1 KB, 177 views)
Old 2008.10.06, 09:46 AM   #40
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Thank's EMU, your very helpfull. Nice chassis there by the way.
Old 2008.10.06, 11:07 AM   #41
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

I'm confused about an upgrade here.
I'm looking at an item on ebay, Hobby Japan is selling, and it's the SP Skeliton chassis set for the MR15, you know, the smoked/gold terminals one. The top of the package sais it's suitable for 2.4. Yet, inside the package you see the top part for the older 27mgz. Do these kit's contain both top peices? One for the 27, and one for the 2.4? I need specifically the 2.4 version. I'd post the item number but Hobby Japan has blocked out the right click option so I can't copy it. Nor can I past the ebay link here.
Old 2008.10.06, 11:24 AM   #42
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Is this a good motor mount for my project? What should I get to go along with it, disc-damper, rear suspension system, differential, et'c.

PN Racing Mini-Z MR015/MR02 RM Motor Mount (Silver)
[Parts # 10045MS]

I'd like to get Atomic's red alloy motor mount, but can not find any and I don't think they have an RM version. So, I'll go all silver with this one too.
Old 2008.10.06, 12:00 PM   #43
kryten

Send a message via MSN to kryten
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
I'm confused about an upgrade here.
I'm looking at an item on ebay, Hobby Japan is selling, and it's the SP Skeliton chassis set for the MR15, you know, the smoked/gold terminals one. The top of the package sais it's suitable for 2.4. Yet, inside the package you see the top part for the older 27mgz. Do these kit's contain both top peices? One for the 27, and one for the 2.4? I need specifically the 2.4 version. I'd post the item number but Hobby Japan has blocked out the right click option so I can't copy it. Nor can I past the ebay link here.
The chassis kits(unless specified 2.4ghz) come with the AM top cover,the 2.4 covers need to be purchased seperately,unless you buy the 2.4 conv kit with tx-this comes with an 02+015 2.4 top cover.
Maybe someone has a spare one they dont use from an 02 conversion.I have a spare 015 2.4 cover if you get stuck,but the shipping will probs make it the same price as you ordering one stateside.
kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.10.06, 12:14 PM   #44
marc
Honda Insight Racer!

Hi there Kryten. I'm looking to replace the ugly black/red chassis that the MR15's come with for the nicer smoked chassis. I've only seen the normal smoked chassis and not the 2.4 version. Is the MR15 top peice the same as the MR02's top peice?
As for buying a 2.4 conversion set, not needed as I'm getting the MR15 2.4 chassis set to start with and I've already got the KT-18 transmitter. I'm just looking to get the smoked/gold version which will look much better with the silver aluminum upgrades.
Old 2008.10.06, 12:31 PM   #45
EMU
EMUracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Is this a good motor mount for my project? What should I get to go along with it, disc-damper, rear suspension system, differential, et'c.

PN Racing Mini-Z MR015/MR02 RM Motor Mount (Silver)
[Parts # 10045MS]

I'd like to get Atomic's red alloy motor mount, but can not find any and I don't think they have an RM version. So, I'll go all silver with this one too.
That PN mount would be my choice.

I already covered the Disc Damper in my previous post... The only compatable disc dampers directly out of the package would be the 3Racing DPS, or the Kawada DPS. The Kawada is very difficult to find, and much more expensive when you can find it. The 3Racing DPS is able to work on just about every chassis configuration.

Atomic do have an RM 90mm Red mount. I have one, although I dont have the damper mount posts for it.