Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2017.01.11, 11:10 AM   #31
Sponge
Wheeeejj!..

I'm using Ansmann 1100mAh cells. Don't know much about them, but I've been 'away' from Mini-z for a while (over a year) and got back in to it recently, at first the cells (after a recharge) were barely holding a charge, my buggy ran for a few minutes before the batteries died, but after a few more charges and runs they were back to normal I guess after a year (or a bit more even) they needed to be 'woken up' a bit

MF010 BMW F1 - MR02 Megane Trophy - MB010 Comic Racer Subaru WRX - MB010 Inferno MP9 TKI3
Sponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.11, 12:50 PM   #32
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
The only cells that I have left are r1 990, and trp 747. The 990 have held up well over time in storage giving about 650-700mah on a 500mA charge while the trp give about 450-550mah. Discharge rate was 5a on much more dtx2 discharger to .9v pet cell. I would relegate all of my current cells to practice cells, due to voltage drop and average voltage on discharge. The r1 also power my bicycle headlight brighter for longer if that matters.
Old 2017.01.11, 02:02 PM   #33
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Thanks EMU! I'm still running my remaining 25 sets of 2+ year old batteries through my Turbo Matcher 8 to see which may still have some life in them, even if just for practice. I have TRP 900s, R1 990s and 750s, ATM VP 800s.

Since there is no racing around here at the moment, I hope to be able to put together 6 sets from the remaining 25 sets that I can use for practice and toss the rest.

Cheers!
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.11, 03:40 PM   #34
TeeSquared
Redline

For S&Gs, I ordered some really cheap NiMH cells of Amazon to try as practice batteries.

I mentioned I'd had good luck with Eneloops, but they've proven a little on the expensive side for the number of cycles I've got out of them. Mind you, I've usually ended up buying "special" Eneloop cells so obviously they cost more. The "Pro" (previously known as XX) and "Lite" cells are nice because the XX/Pro cells have mega punch while the "Lite" cells work awesome for stock motor sprint races because they provide amazing voltage and are 2 grams a cell lighter than regular AAAs. They only have 550 mA capacity though so run times are short. I've also had good luck using them in the AWD chassis as it helps balance out the chassis a little better. Again, short run times.

The cheapie AAAs from Amazon proved a surprise though. They are not as good as Eneloops to be sure, but for practice on my home track they are perfect. So far I've only tried it in stock motored brushed cars but I intend to try them in my brushless and mod cars tonight. I suspect they will do fine if a little short on punch, but that's fine for my small practice track. The big perk is that they are only $16 CAD shipped for 12 cells, so even if a few cells go bad it's cheap enough to buy a bunch and weed out bad cells. Definitely not for racing, but my plan is to have 4-5 good quality "race" packs and a bunch of cheap Amazon packs for every day use and practice between races

These are the ones
TeeSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.11, 04:07 PM   #35
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Thanks TeeSquared!
Old 2017.01.12, 08:21 PM   #36
bobbyz

I recently picked up a set of Ikea Ladda 900s that have worked fairly good so far. I tried them a few times, and just got a Maha charger/analyzer to check actual capacity. I think I'll grab a couple more sets and use them for HFAY season 23 and report back. For the price I think they're a good value so far. Time will tell though.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.14, 10:41 AM   #37
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Interesting! I'll keep that in mind. My old cells seem to be coming back to life after some cycling. Discharge voltage and IR numbers are very good on several cells, but capacity is low on most, though this may improve with additional use. Can't wait to get them in a car on a track. It's been way too long!
Old 2017.01.14, 12:15 PM   #38
tommy_greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Interesting! I'll keep that in mind. My old cells seem to be coming back to life after some cycling. Discharge voltage and IR numbers are very good on several cells, but capacity is low on most, though this may improve with additional use. Can't wait to get them in a car on a track. It's been way too long!
Hey old buddy how you been. Yeah I have some old cell I brought back to life with a couple Cycles into them. The more I charge them the better they got. I know what charger I have have restored a couple old sets but I cycled them more. There's a new toy that Keenan RC (NP) is selling. A battery matcher by TRP. Hooks up to your laptop. I miss racing AAA class every now and then I run my cars.

From the last time you race that's probably two new brand batteries that came out. Marka's and Orion 800's

I hear there's a group out of Hickory racing. It'd be nice to see you guys racing again in North Carolina.
Old 2017.01.14, 07:53 PM   #39
Sinister_Y

We use the tiger r/c aaa cells. They are the best of the production run from the manufacturer ACE. They are 800 mah. They have low internal resistance and good punch.
Sinister_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.16, 10:28 AM   #40
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy_greeneyes View Post
From the last time you race that's probably two new brand batteries that came out. Marka's and Orion 800's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister_Y View Post
We use the tiger r/c aaa cells. They are the best of the production run from the manufacturer ACE. They are 800 mah. They have low internal resistance and good punch.
Thanks guys!
Old 2017.01.16, 03:15 PM   #41
Tammer

I am currently running tenergy premiums. They have surpassed my other more expensive batteries in terms of punch and the ability to hold a charge. They also cost pennies in comparison. I believe I got 12 batteries and a case on flebay for just around $9 shipped. I have been using them for almost 18 months with a 6 month break and they still charge and run almost as good as the day I bought them. I suggest at that price point they are well worth a shot.
Tammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.17, 07:25 AM   #42
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
one thing I've come across in battery research is the production or manufacturer batch ID. I'm not sure how available this information is for most manufacturers but it often helps in making sure your not buying cells from a site with cheap prices because they are clearing out old stock. I've seen stores selling batteries new in package that are about 5 years old and you won't know unless you recognized packaging changes, product codes, etc.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017.01.18, 03:36 AM   #43
herman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyz View Post
I recently picked up a set of Ikea Ladda 900s that have worked fairly good so far. I tried them a few times, and just got a Maha charger/analyzer to check actual capacity. I think I'll grab a couple more sets and use them for HFAY season 23 and report back. For the price I think they're a good value so far. Time will tell though.
I was able to get 8pcs of these and got to try them out, they initially seem good... if I remember, markings on the battery state that they are "made in Japan"... which is also pretty good...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote