Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.10.24, 09:34 PM   #16
gasman1

Send a message via AIM to gasman1
Great videos! Very nice job!
Old 2005.10.24, 11:56 PM   #17
Ibrake Ifry

good videos...using a 35 watt iron makes sense to me now since it should produce less heat than my 60 watt!
Ibrake Ifry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.25, 01:50 AM   #18
byebye

Thanks everyone! I hope it was good enough to understand how to do it and give you enough instruction to actually do it. I shot the video on sunday night and total video was 13 min. There was also about 5 min I turned it off though to sharpen the tip of the iron. I shortened it to keep the download small. I have both videos in high quality large as well but those videos produced a 24mb file each. The quality is better but I think what I have uploaded will do just fine for now.

Another tip is don't drnk a cup of coffee just before you start. I was sweating and shaking LOL. Not a good mix when doing a FET upgrade.

Next episode: stacking!

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.25, 02:35 AM   #19
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrake Ifry
good videos...using a 35 watt iron makes sense to me now since it should produce less heat than my 60 watt!
A smaller iron works way better here than those big irons do. I think mine is a cheapo RS 25 watt iron. I remember the guy at RS asking me if I wanted a larger one with more wattage, and I said "no, this is just fine for what I want it for.".

Sometimes, bigger isn't always better. This is a good case for it.
Old 2005.10.25, 04:21 AM   #20
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZ
A smaller iron works way better here than those big irons do. I think mine is a cheapo RS 25 watt iron. I remember the guy at RS asking me if I wanted a larger one with more wattage, and I said "no, this is just fine for what I want it for.".

Sometimes, bigger isn't always better. This is a good case for it.
Same here until it just died. I then baought a weller but any ole 25-35 will suffice. Some times when it sits and gets too hot I unplug it and continue to use it. There are some high tech ones that turn off and on with temp controls.

This week I will work on a step by step and list of tools I use. The "How to" will be formatted so you read first then watch the video. It's the best I could do and I know alot of people really want to do the upgrade but there's no instructions with the chips.

-Byebye
Old 2005.10.25, 04:44 AM   #21
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
I figured my iron would have died by now, but it hasn't.

A good still shot of the board to show the chips on right, that is clear enough you can see the writing on the fets can help alot. I say this because the last fets I put on was the 7389 fets, those are marked with a dot on one end like the stock 3004 fets. Just an idea to make a very good tutorial even better.
Old 2005.10.25, 05:42 AM   #22
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZ
I figured my iron would have died by now, but it hasn't.

A good still shot of the board to show the chips on right, that is clear enough you can see the writing on the fets can help alot. I say this because the last fets I put on was the 7389 fets, those are marked with a dot on one end like the stock 3004 fets. Just an idea to make a very good tutorial even better.
I did take photos after wards and will add those to the beginning post. Thanks!
-Byebye
Old 2005.10.25, 06:36 AM   #23
baldrick

What Fets!

Great visual tutorial Byebye.

Did you use stock 3004's for the replacements or something else?

Thanks, Keith...
baldrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.25, 11:09 AM   #24
nutsfu
Mini Z Collector

This is soooooo useful.
Thanks byebye!
nutsfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.26, 10:05 AM   #25
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldrick
Great visual tutorial Byebye.

Did you use stock 3004's for the replacements or something else?

Thanks, Keith...
I used 4562's from the shop. I'll have to have the wife email the after photos. Unfortunately my hotel room doesn't have internet so I may not be able to get to the write up this week.

-Byebye
Old 2005.10.26, 12:31 PM   #26
byebye

pics added.....

-Byebye
Old 2005.10.28, 04:16 AM   #27
will3kgt

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye
I found the time to shoot some video of me doing a FET removal. I have attached pictures of the FETs after install and of the tip of the soldering iron. Yes I know the installed chips on the board look like arse. The idea is to take your time. Patience is the key to a good clean install. There are also tons of stuff you can do to clean the board up before you start. This was a down and dirty install video I just had to make. I put the car together after the video and ran it on the track. Much better . All of my cars except my first Enzo are done by me.

Thanks for all the positive feed back .

-Byebye

FET upgrade video Part 1: removing the stock FETs

FET upgrade video Part 2: installing the new FETs

-Byebye
THAKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!
I've been waiting to see a FET upgrade video for I don't know how long. You don't even realize how many mini-zs & Iwavers you've brought back to life. (That's just my collection.) Thanks again. If there's anything I can do for you. (Parts, or whatever) Please email me.
will3kgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.28, 06:36 AM   #28
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by will3kgt
THAKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU!!
I've been waiting to see a FET upgrade video for I don't know how long. You don't even realize how many mini-zs & Iwavers you've brought back to life. (That's just my collection.) Thanks again. If there's anything I can do for you. (Parts, or whatever) Please email me.
Hey you're welcome. This is geared toward the DIY's. The shop has the chips for so cheap and the work really is very easy(with a video and instructions). It's my gift to the forums .

The only thing I expect is for people to take pics and video .

-Byebye
Old 2005.10.28, 01:56 PM   #29
imxlr8ed

Great vid... It's a great instructional ! About time someone did it !

But... (there's always a but) As an admiring, fellow board surgeon... I must say your technique is rather brutal. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to knock you here... I'm just amazed about a few things. I will describe...

I only use a 25 watt iron with a very long, narrow tip... I heard high heat for extended periods of time decreased the efficiency of the fet... or was I instructed wrongly ? I remove fets one foot at a time, I apply the iron to the foot, and use a dental hook to lever it upwards slowly. (you sat temato, I say tahmahto )

Where did you get that iron tip... nasty ! I would say it's near impossible to install a triple stack with that, I'm sure you've done stacks... but I would bet it wasn't with that thang ! (if it was... you have jedi like control)

Why so much solder ?... I've never had to add solder to a single layer install, (stacks are a different story) I've always just used what was left on the pads after they've been smoothed, never had a problem !

Also, you can have a wad of solder on the "output" side of the fets, I've done stacks with "inline" connections, and some have the custom wad'o'solder down the back. (usually when I'm feeling lazy ) But you are absolutely right about the "input" side of the fet, I usually just pick gently between those with an exacto tip just to make sure there are no cross connections hiding in there.

Just a different style I guess ! (you big iron tip wielding savage you !!! ) Great job ! Wish I was more internet savvy so I could post a vid as well. Hey... maybe if you come across the pond again, we can have fet install races !
Cya !

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2005.10.28 at 01:59 PM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.10.29, 04:07 AM   #30
will3kgt

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by byebye
Hey you're welcome. This is geared toward the DIY's. The shop has the chips for so cheap and the work really is very easy(with a video and instructions). It's my gift to the forums .

The only thing I expect is for people to take pics and video .

-Byebye
IT WORKED!.....Well, sort of. I did 2 x 3 fet stack this morning and when I did the motor test it didn't move then all of the sudden the motor came to life. So I turned off my car tried it again and the same thing happened....Oh yeah and my reverse doesn't work I'm going to try to resodder the fets again tommorow morning. Nevertheless, your video is the most helpful information I've recieved in my last 3 years of racing. Pictures will be forthcoming. Thanks again.
will3kgt is offline   Reply With Quote