Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > TGR

Old 2008.01.20, 04:45 AM   #1
Wolf

Belt Drive Differential System (BDDS) from TGR

Innovation Spirit

At TGR we always search, think, brainstorm on what we can do to evolve this scene.
Now it comes; The ultimate transmission differential with infinite gear ratio.

Its totally a unique design by TGR. It is belt driven, it is steel, it is small and fluent in action. We've tested this system for several months in our factory test track away from the crowd. For the last several weekends we've started to use it with people who comes to our track. Everybody noticed how quiet does our car go. First they thought about a perfect mesh. But when our car was alone in the track and people started to hear even the servo sound from the car at the end of the straight; secret was over! We've opened the hood and the same question arised

WHY??

BECAUSE MOTORS NEEDS THIS
Most highend racers are aware that 130 sized motors' timing are reverse reatarted. This is due to mass production of motorcans and hobby usage is really low. Many people observes that their cars go faster and with more punch when it goes reverse. Another symptom of this problem is the AWD's which performs almost the same speeds with 2WDs despite the gear ratio. Since motors used with reversed polarity in AWDs those timing error auto corrects it self.
However we couldn't add more gears to 2WD to correct spinning direction. Solution is simple. Using a belt instead of gears results in a correct direction spin for the motor, regarding its timing.

BECAUSE RACERS NEED MORE & MORE GEAR RATIOS THAN THEY HAVE
Since it has no teeths but has wheels, all you have to do is to adjust your pinion or spur radius. Just you name it. You need a pinion with 3mm radius or 2,5. Ah you need a little more punch? Then how about 2.225 or would you prefer 2.1234? You can even create your very own and secret pinion for your motors' or track's need.

BECAUSE WE DON'T WANT TO CARRY THE WEIGHT OF PRESSURE PLATES IN OUR DIFFS
All differentials on the market has D cut or even worse O cut pressure plates to transfer the action. We thought if we use hardened steel as the caps and we can get rid of large heavy pressureplates. It is even harder than the common pressure plates which are infact used as washers in the industry. Moreover it is lighter than conventional cap+pressure plate combination.

BECAUSE wE WANTED TO HAVE AN OUTER TUNED DIFF BUT IT SHOULD BE REALLY TUNED!!

Most racers like the idea of tuning of the diffs from the outer nut. However many diffs on the market has problems when you need a realy tight differential. Due to ball size versus ballbearing cage thickness issue, you can not over tighten most differentials. Solution to this was also simple. With the cost of extra machining we've moved the ball bearing just a little into pressure cap. Here it goes. A differential which is really adjusted and adjustment is from the outer nut.

All those reasons led us to this unique innovative design.

Now lets take a look at other features of TGR Belt Driven Differential System (BDDS)

Steel shaft, caps, wheel adapter.
Hear treated extra hardened pressure caps
Extra Lightened 8 Ball Spur
Old 2008.01.20, 05:25 AM   #2
Flashsp-2
motor guru

Wolf, that is simply amazing. Hopefully those motors will arrive before you guys head to the toy fair. I imagine that thing is going to make quite the showing with that new belt drive system...

Available at www.Maine-iac-motors-rc.com
Flashsp-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.20, 07:42 AM   #3
xoxide
Hazardous Designs

Yes this is smart! I want one! So will they fit with just a normal MR-02 ir do you have to have a TGR?
xoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.20, 08:01 AM   #4
Wolf

It fits to MR02 also
Old 2008.01.20, 08:48 AM   #5
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

the wonders never cease
i need to get my hands on one!!!!
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.20, 09:31 AM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
i'd really like to see one of these in action myself.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.20, 09:51 AM   #7
Jonny

Fantastic work to the TGR crew. I'm really looking forward to this!

Jonny
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.20, 10:26 AM   #8
wcrotty

Send a message via AIM to wcrotty
Don't you have to run the motor in reverse?

most motors are designed to go one way......the timing only works one way. So if you run it in reverse the timing is wrong.

It looks like you have no diff action at all. So this is a straight axle?

2008 PN World Champion
2008 PN Canadian Champion
2006 PN World Champion
2004 Kyosho Cup National Champion
2003 Kyosho Cup National Champion
wcrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.20, 01:36 PM   #9
mk2kompressor
at the Bleeding Edge

the diff rings are built in to the outdrives,8 balls,and the thrust bearings are sunk in

the timing works both ways,90% of factory built motors ive looked at are approx 5deg retarded
HFAY S9 F1 Winner
Sinister V1
MRCG Prototype
MRCG 1.0
The uk's premier shop for mini-z
Bleeding Edge Racing UK
mk2kompressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.20, 11:34 PM   #10
Wolf

Thanks for all comments, questions and feedbacks.

Main question is do we have to run the motor in reverse?
Yes. As Matt already pointed 90% (infact I haven't seen opposite yet) of the motors on the market have retarted timing. Where as we prefer to have advanced timing for modified races. I guess this is due to mass production of the cans and regular uses of 130 size motors in the industry. And since hobby usage is relatively too small we are faced with this situation. What we are stating here is, motors with retarted timing will perform better if you use them in reverse. And we've given simple indicators of it in our introduction message.

Another question is about diff action. Spur, pressure plates and shaft pictures are above. Pressure plates are also diff cap or outdrive in this design. They are heat treated to get get extreme toughness. Moreover pressureplate which is close to the motor locks to shaft with extreme tight fit. Whereas the outer one with wheel adapter has free spin over shaft. Just like any regular diff. However this design is too compact that, I can understand assembled photos looks like it is a solid axle. But it is definately not.

We'll have some more new and innovative products which will be announced ver soon.

Last edited by Wolf; 2008.01.20 at 11:54 PM.
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.21, 12:15 AM   #11
Programmers
iTomCash

That's a fantastic idea and I'd love to get my hands on one. However, I naturally assume that there would be quite a few flaws such as...

What about the belt coming off the motor pinion?
What about snappage?
What about slipping in more powerful motors?

Unless you've already dealt with them.
Programmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.21, 12:55 AM   #12
color01

I assume those issues can be dealt with by upping the belt tension. But then I am worried about belt tension changing nearly every run if this system uses tension and not teeth to transfer power.

I think it's a great idea, but I would really, really like to see a toothed belt. IMO it would do wonders for reliability and probably improve the rolling resistance as well since you don't need to use any belt tension at all -- let the teeth do the work.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.21, 05:13 AM   #13
Wolf

@programmers;
Due to my poor english; either your first and second questions are the same or the second and third. Can you explain the snappage?

By the way, we've already tried many motors including chili, anima etc without any problem.

@color;
As you know even toothed belts has a part called "belt tensioner". Moreover when teets involved you ar again limited to certain amount of teeth count; as a result limited gear ratio alternative. Especially thinking about the small area we have, we'll defintely have many small amount of pinions and spurs if we use toothed belts.
Old 2008.01.21, 08:01 AM   #14
Programmers
iTomCash

I was wondering about if the belt comes off?? Like if you hit something for example?
Programmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.01.21, 08:40 AM   #15
Davey G
Need a mini z Painted????

Send a message via MSN to Davey G
Hi Wolf,

Its nice to see your company coming up with cool ideas for these little cars. I have 2 questions though. Have you tested the amp draw (efficiency) of your belt drive verse gear drive? I would have to assume that the belt will less efficient, meaning it will draw more amperage due to having constant pressure against the belt. My other question isnt direct towards you directly WOLF, but really to the MINI Z industry. If what your saying is fact that the motors timing is retarded, why hasnt anyone stepped up and made a motor pod that mounts the motor on the opposite side of the car???

Custom Paint, Custom Stickers, Wraps, Pitboards, Graphic Design

TEAM DRIVER FOR: PN RACING, TRP, TEAM SCREAM, DG DESIGNS
Davey G is offline   Reply With Quote