Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.01.05, 07:04 PM   #1
hrdrvr
MBMZR

LGR's New carpet!

Some of y'all may have heard, LET's Go Racing is changing over to CRC carpet! We received the carpet this week, and will begin the construction of a sub-floor on Monday. In the mean time, we decided to lay it out to settle, and HAD to throw some walls on it to see how it drives. I am totally impressed. Here are a couple of pictures of my thrown together, make shift, temporary layout, as well as a video of my mod Mini Cooper. The Mini Cooper is running the same set up as I was running on RCP, except I went from an Atomic USA motor, to a PN43T, and changed out my 18mm rear wheels for 20mm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rt2j...x0HbaQ&index=1

More pictures to come as progress happens!

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.05, 07:17 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
what will be your subfloor structure and what will you use to adhear the carpet to the subfloor and what is used at carpet seems? just curious as i have never installed roll carpet myself, just carpet tiles.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.05, 08:15 PM   #3
hrdrvr
MBMZR

The sub-floor will be a double layer of 3/4" plywood with the joints staggered so that nothing lines up except the edges. I am prepared to carpet tape the whole thing down, but CRC recommends just taping the seems from the bottom with double sided tape, and taping the edges down with duct tape. I will cover the edge with a 4x4 to keep it looking clean. They also recommend that if you have to tape the seams on top, that you use gaffer's tape instead of duct tape, as it is textured and has grip. If the double sided tape is done right, I shouldn't have anything on top at the seams.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2013.01.06, 12:06 AM   #4
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Very nice Landon. What tires were on that Mini? I'm definitely going to have to try this out!
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.06, 12:13 AM   #5
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Welcome to the carpet Landon. Carpet is just the best surface for the Miniz's.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.06, 02:43 AM   #6
color01

Very nice. What's happening to the RCP track setup? If you're not going back to that, is it possible to put the carpet on elevation too? That would really make the track stand out.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.06, 07:29 AM   #7
Traveler
of both Time and Space

Instead of elevations, I was thinking if the subfloor is built stiff enough, cables and pulleys could be used the change the pitch of the entire track!
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.06, 08:36 AM   #8
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

That sounds kind of "kinky"
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.06, 09:25 AM   #9
Cherub1m
Slip Angle Chaser

Whatever design you make Landon, I am sure it will be top notch. Also thanks for the video. No way can a Mini Cooper run that fast on RCP without flipping.

"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to my Videos http://www.youtube.com/SlipAngleChaser
Cherub1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.06, 11:23 AM   #10
Mike Keely

Ask Maj in NJ what tape they use for the lexan windows. It is very sticky and made for carpet installations.
Old 2013.01.06, 12:37 PM   #11
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Very nice Landon. What tires were on that Mini? I'm definitely going to have to try this out!
Im running LM 20 fronts on the rear with 40 slick fronts on Mantis Group C front wheels. It's so awesome being able to run a real mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub1m View Post
Welcome to the carpet Landon. Carpet is just the best surface for the Miniz's.
I guess we will know soon enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by color01 View Post
Very nice. What's happening to the RCP track setup? If you're not going back to that, is it possible to put the carpet on elevation too? That would really make the track stand out.
I will keep the RCP track, and all of the elevations. We can go back to RCP and elevations for special events whenever we want with very minimal effort. I am hoping we can run some bigger scales, and possibly some off-road vehicles on the track along with the Zs, so I'm not sure what will happen as far as elevated carpet goes. I am already working on a plan for how to do it though, so it is not out of the realm of possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
Instead of elevations, I was thinking if the subfloor is built stiff enough, cables and pulleys could be used the change the pitch of the entire track!
I don't think the sub-floor will be that rigid. I am almost 100% sure my ceiling wont support the weight of it though! I think it would be cool to build the flooring some what flexible, then have cables in strategic locations to lift and lower certain sections giving a more fluid, subtle elevation change. It would be more realistic than what I've done in the past....just not as space efficient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherub1m View Post
Whatever design you make Landon, I am sure it will be top notch. Also thanks for the video. No way can a Mini Cooper run that fast on RCP without flipping.
Thanks Philip. With an open canvas I think I will have some fun drawing up plans and laying down new tracks! I've already got layouts better than the ones posted! Stay tuned for more vids and pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Keely View Post
Ask Maj in NJ what tape they use for the lexan windows. It is very sticky and made for carpet installations.
Thanks Mike. WE used to have a carpet track with foam walls. I found a great tape that worked really well. I found some it again, and will start with that. If I have any trouble with it, Ill see what Maj used.

LET's Go Racing!
Old 2013.01.06, 09:24 PM   #12
Sammich

as a newb to miniz racing i was skeptical, after 5 minutes of bashing, i love it

Quote:
drunk driving is not cool, unless it's with Mini-Z's.
Sammich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.07, 08:19 PM   #13
Daddy Rabbit

Realy looks good, can't wait.
"Don't back up, Don't back down....Full throttle, Wide open"
Daddy Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.08, 11:59 AM   #14
themelis factor
PN RACING TEAM DRIVER

Hi landon just curious to see what kind of tires you guys use on the crc carpet. I dont think its silicone tires work on it. let me know your thoughts.

PN RACING
MAJ'S HOBBY SHOP
THEMELIS FACTOR RACING CELLS (TFR)
themelis factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.08, 12:38 PM   #15
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Sammich, I'm glad you had a good time with it. I think with a proper layout, the fun factor will go WAY up!

Thanks dad! I hope to have some good pics today of the sub-floor. we are on to the full sheets, so it should start moving quicker soon. Right now we are putting in the loop for a possible future AMB timing system.

Johnny, Set up development hasn't really started yet, but initially the Kyosho tires I was running on the RCP worked the best. After the sub-floor gets done (tomorrow is my guess), then testing will move into a more aggressive phase. I'll keep every one here posted. "What tires" seems to be the big question so far

LET's Go Racing!