Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.08.29, 05:17 AM   #1
LBRC

What do you call a stock 2005 F1 on RCP?

Answer: An electric top.

Picked up a new Ferrari and McLaren and although they are fantastic they do take a little tweaking to be drivable.

In fact unless you’re driving on a surface roughly equivalent to 80 grit sandpaper the stock tires are too hard, I can't quite figure out where exactly where Kyosho thinks you can actually drive them stock, or better yet where and on what type of surface do/did they test them on? Or did they actually try them stock?

Hop-up one tires: By accident I received Kyosho part numbers MFT01-20 and MFT01-30 instead of the -20R and -30F’s I intended to order, the -20 comes with 4 tires 2 front and 2 rear both 20 degree so just for grins I tried them out as a set, ha-ha, do hobby shops have practical joke sections? I guess you can say it was an improvement over stock but again it made me wonder just where and on what did the people at Kyosho drive a car with a matched set of tires on. Then I got down to business and put the front 30’s and rear 20’s on which of course leaves me with a 20 degree front/30 degree rear set which I suppose might come in useful if I want to play a practical joke on someone but not much else. The 20R 30F combo is at least drivable but still not quite right for me. With the two nearly identical stock cars to experiment with it seemed like a good time to play around with F1 tire options, so I ordered a few to try out and compare; Kyosho 10 and Atomic 10 degree rears, Atomic 30 degree front (have the K 30’s), Kyosho 23 degree rear slicks, Kyosho 25 and 30 degree front slicks, and even a set of foamies for the rear. May seem like a lot of tires but they’ll all eventually get used one way or another and besides side by side comparisons are fun.

Problem two: The differentials on both cars had noticeable binding, fortunately it didn’t take long to find the cause.

Where the dimple is on the back of the gears you can see that the teeth extend just a fraction of a mm higher than the other teeth when compared to the back plate by filing the tops even with the flat back of the gears they no longer bind and the differential spins free, both differentials had the same exact problem, the Ferrari was slightly worse than the McLaren. For the future I plan on trying out an Atomic diff in one car comparing it to a Kyosho in the other but not until I get done with the tires.

My first comparison: Kyosho Pitching Roll Shock Set PN: MFW08 verses Kyosho Rear Shock Set PN: MFW04. This is what got me thinking about heads-up comparisons using the two cars.

Kyosho Pitching Roll Shock Set, MFW08

Basically this is a small disk damper with an adjustment screw, great idea but there are a few minor problems. Ok so theoretically you tighten the nut compressing the spring and it puts more pressure on the plate, and it might even work with a heavier spring after you smooth and lube the contact surfaces so they can slide easily without any catches. Also suppose to act as a heat-sink but due to the limited surface area any benefit is small and unnoticeable with the Xspeed.

Rear Shock Set, MFW04

Simple easy installation, works great right out of the box, some adjustment with washers to compress the spring, and more with the optional spring set. Comes with a tube of grease which just makes a mess and attracts dirt, funny that this one comes with an unnecessary lubricant while the MFW08 that could use it comes with nothing. My only complaint is that for the price it should come with the optional springs.

My thoughts:
The MFW08 has a good deal of potential but right out of the box the KISS MFW04 Rear Shock walked all over the more complicated Pitching Roll Shock which as is seems to be more sales pitch than hop-up. With work though the MFW08 does have potential though, it’s just not simple or easy. Because of the small area the contact surfaces have to be perfect, any bur or rough edge can catch and is very noticeable, and like I said the spring seems a bit week, then theirs the learning curve while you fiddle around to find just the right setting. But I do have time to play with it while I wait for the tires to arrive, of course once they do I have to take both dampers off to return both cars to stock.
Old 2006.08.29, 06:56 AM   #2
wiggindude

Send a message via MSN to wiggindude
f1

I have the new mclaren and an old mclaren... I just picked them both up last week for the PN Regional this weekend..... I just got back into the sport after a 7 year break due to family (wife).. I am back now with my 13 year old son who has really picked up the sport and has a gift that I think few have... anyway...

I ordered 2 of the kyosho ball diffs and one atomic.. The used 2003 i got did have a kyosho ball diff but the gear mesh is kinda bad. I have placed 3 orders with rckenon, 2 from ******, 1 from atomic mods and 1 from rcraceday.. I didnt know about this wed until a few days ago.. or I would have an order with them as well. I have just about every hop up ordered that should be in today.. atomic and kyosho diffs, atomic motor mount, atomic damper, kyosho damper thingie.. the one you show.. not the shock... several motors, battiers, tires (which no body had exaclty what i wanted besides ****** and i didnt get enough...) I am only learning about mini z's now.. i was big into 1/10 scale back in the day.. outdoor asphalt that ate s3's like candy.. I like the mini z so much more.. the only bad thing is our local track is only open every other weekend for 2 days...

Do you have any experiance with the atomic motor mount and damper?

I also have a question.. i got the used car and i see a plate on the top and 2 connections missing.. the car glitches some as well. I am wondering what the deal is.. if you turn the car over and look in the battery deparment... there are 2 connections.. on my new car they are there.. on the old car they are not.???? what do these go to? I am freaked..

we run on RCP too.. www.hircr.com

Also.. what do you charge your cells at? aaa's intellects? I am lost..

Thanks
Sean
wiggindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.29, 09:21 AM   #3
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude
Do you have any experiance with the atomic motor mount and damper?
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17085
http://shop.tinyrc.com/product.php?productid=17086

Check the reviews...I wrote them a while ago, but there is still some good information. You can also copy and paste the link in the review for images of the installation...or just check my gallery.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.29, 11:08 AM   #4
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Send a message via Yahoo to bolter9
Check out Ruf's world championship F1 setup- he's done a ton of ground work in regards to tuning the F1 (and he won the PN F1 world championships). Read the F1 vs. MR02 article (he goes in-depth into tire selection), and download his setup sheet. Most of us have followed his advice for racing our F1s.

Regarding tires....we've all been saying the same thing- stock F1 tires on RCP spin even under acceleration- they are basically useless (although they work OK on textured concrete). The sweet spot seems to be between 20-30 degrees. It's still easier to spin the F1 then it is the racer, but that's why they're harder (and more rewarding) to drive.

Foams are great...probably the best traction you can get on the F1- but unless everyone you're racing with is using them, you'll have an unfair advantage. I'd recommend running front and rear foams though. Also you'll want to stay off the RCP rails as much as possible...they tear up the foam.

My quick recommendations for the most basic and beneficial upgrades are:

1. 20-30 degree tires. If you can get the much-sought-after Team Kyosho 20 front slicks, then do it.- theyr'e the best rubber tire available. However, they will get heat bubbles on RCP...which will cause your car to understeer at high-speed- run a bit of sandpaper over them and they'll be as good as new.

2. carbon side plates

Those two things alone will make you F1 seem like a completely different car. Aside from that, I run ball diffs, alloy knuckles, bearings, alloy heat sink and harder springs up front w/ softer in the rear.

Good luck and keep us posted!

My Gallery

Last edited by bolter9; 2006.08.29 at 11:16 AM.
bolter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.29, 11:50 AM   #5
Biff
Gary

So, this is where wiggindude gets all his speed secrets.
Old 2006.08.30, 10:09 PM   #6
wiggindude

f1 major glitching

Guys... my 2003 car is gliching so bad I cant drive it. I took it apart and now I cant get the servo motor to stand still. Now what do I do.. I got my atomic parts in yesterday.. My 2005 car is set up.. I have to modify the mclaren body a tad for the damper and wires.. but nothing big.. it seems the spring is really strong... we will see... I have one set of 30s for front and one set of 20s for the rear.. ceramic bearings, alloy 1 deg knuckles, +1 deg toe in alloy plate, carbon side rails.. I dont think there is anything else that i want to put on.. i did get in today the kyosho damper.. kinda cheesy.. so i left the atomic on.. and i have the atomic front plate too the stong one.. but I dont like the way is sits on the car.. 25.00 mistake...

about the glitch.. what can i do? buy another car? can you adjust this servo thing? I messed with it for about an hour and still cant get it to stand still...

thanks
Old 2006.08.31, 12:51 AM   #7
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

does it just twitch a bit, or is it moving a lot?

check the basics first- replace xtals, tx (and make sure it's on), check all solder connections. Also check to make sure the servo gears and mounting plate are all installed properly and fit in the chassis without a lot of wiggle room. Check you antenna connection on the car and the tx....

etc. etc. etc.

My Gallery
Old 2006.08.31, 03:59 AM   #8
wiggindude

moves alot

The steering moves alot.. to the point where it will throw ya in a wall when your on the track. your thinking someone turned a radio on.. out of control... i did all of that stuff.. cleaned board, checked connections, changed crystals... took it all apart too and checked wires..

No idea now.. its an older car.. i wanted to be leagal for the PN race. looks like I dont have a choice anymore... i cant get it to stop glitching... its 100 for a new electronics package. might as well get a new car and move hop ups.. I just ordered last week a new kyosho ball diff, damper, toe in rod, knuckles, ceramic bearings... etc... now I will have extras... going to look for a nother kit i guess...
Old 2006.08.31, 04:15 AM   #9
LBRC

I can guess from your comments so far that it moves, which means the red and black servo motor wires are connected and the servo motor is working. If they where not it wouldn’t move.

There are two wires going to the potentiometer if one of these is not connected the steering will usually fly to one side.

Helpful History Questions
Has it worked since you’ve had it?
If so are you using the same radio as when it last worked?
Have you or someone else been fiddling around with the trim pot on the circuit board?
Or any of the potentiometer wires?

With the limited info we have I would guess that the potentiometer in not installed correctly, or something along that line, a loose or intermittent potentiometer wire connection can cause this type of problem.

Doesn’t sound like a total right off the problem is finding someone you can trust who actually knows what they are doing to look at it.
Old 2006.08.31, 10:40 AM   #10
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

have you tried a different controller? I know these are basic issues, but 9 times out of 10 the problem is due to something that's easily overlooked.

My Gallery
Old 2006.08.31, 05:53 PM   #11
wiggindude

Ko Radio

I had the plain jane KO radio... the one with the kit. I just got in today the Helios with the KO module. I tried all 4 sets of crystals.. still nada.. now that I have the entire car apart and all the wires look okay... but the pot is goofy i think.. The car has glitched for a while.. but it has really gotten bad... I dont think I can fix it myself... I tried to adjust that potentiometer thing.. i will not stop at all... one side to the other...

oh well.

Thanks

Any suggestions? Can i just get the pot? or board? or do I have to by the assembly?
Old 2006.08.31, 06:28 PM   #12
Biff
Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggindude
I had the plain jane KO radio... the one with the kit. I just got in today the Helios with the KO module. I tried all 4 sets of crystals.. still nada.. now that I have the entire car apart and all the wires look okay... but the pot is goofy i think.. The car has glitched for a while.. but it has really gotten bad... I dont think I can fix it myself... I tried to adjust that potentiometer thing.. i will not stop at all... one side to the other...

oh well.

Thanks

Any suggestions? Can i just get the pot? or board? or do I have to by the assembly?

Sean, is it a servo glitch or a motor glitch? When you turn the car on, do the front wheels just shake back and forth? If thats the case here is a helpfull thread but I dont know how it will affect the F1. Got mine in today but I dont what the pot looks like yet.

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...t=servo+glitch

I shimmed mine in MR02 and it made a world of difference.
Old 2006.09.01, 06:42 AM   #13
wiggindude

f1

If you need some hop ups... let me know..

I have all of the kyosho stuff except the carbon side things.. diff, motor mount, kyosho damper, bearings... I have a set of 30's for the front.. just no 20's for the rear. I put the atomic stuff on my new car and I have to modify the body now. I will not be at the track until later tonight. I have a baby shower for my wife's sister.. at my house tonight. I am getting it ready and getting out of here about 7.... I think I am going to get an mr-02mm today and get it set up.. I have a golf outing on the 14th and I am going to buy a set of F1's for a door prize.. I play in about 10 a year and I think I will do some campaining to get more peps in the sport.. lol..

I got my Helios yesterday too.. super cool radio.. I am dying to get out on the track...

Talk to you later.

I will check out the tread and I will bring the car tonight and tomorrow so some pros can check it out.. I did take the leads off the motor so I would only have to worry about the steering.. and yep its really bad.. it must be the board or the pot... no biggie.. if i cant get it to work.. i will have spares... It served it purpose... show me how much fun F1 is and I am freaking hooked...

x)
Old 2006.09.01, 07:46 AM   #14
Biff
Gary

So far Ive got the diff, king pins and bearings and a bunch of other stuff on the way. I doubt Ill get it before the PN race though. I dont feel like running the MR02. Im gonna bring the F1 and see if we can get enough parts to get me going. Yea, thats the ticket.

Ill run the F1.
Old 2006.09.01, 09:50 AM   #15
madf1man
Bogus nachos

You guys are giving me a warm fuzzy feeling, good to see f1 on the rise. See ya,ll soon