Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.03.15, 09:06 AM   #1
solartech
r/c user
 
solartech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Schenectady,ny
Posts: 464
Any other lap counters avalable??

Are there any other lap counting systems out there? I have not seen any systems work very well other than the Amb transponder type. I am not going to name names and bash products but there has to be some thing else out there. I recently heard about a system from Team_Orien. Supposedly it is a transponder with a optical output and Infared reciver. I could be wrong about the specs. But I would like to learn more about it. I am curious if this would work with mini-zs.
solartech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 10:07 AM   #2
arch2b
Moderator
 
arch2b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 31,479
Send a message via AIM to arch2b
amb-it
lapz
ko propo
corespeeday
home made laser/flag system

those are all i can think of
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 10:28 AM   #3
ruf
4play
 
ruf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Reflex Racing, everywhere
Posts: 2,605
Quote:
Originally Posted by solartech
I recently heard about a system from Team_Orien. Supposedly it is a transponder with a optical output and Infared reciver. I could be wrong about the specs. But I would like to learn more about it. I am curious if this would work with mini-zs.
I believe someone was talking about using this on Mini-Z. I've used them on 1/10 and they work well.
__________________
Joe Chen
www.reflexracing.net
Houston, TX
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 10:38 AM   #4
wcrotty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: lee, NH
Posts: 562
Send a message via AIM to wcrotty
The team orian is a personal lap timing system. Only one car at a time.
I have one and used mine on my mini z when i was training for the nats in my basement. I removed the transponder from the aluminum case and taped it to the outside of the body with the IR led pointed to the outside wall.

Then you just set the pickup unit on the wall of the track. You have your self a counter.

amb-it $3000 - 4000
lapz $800
ko propo $2000
corespeeday $400
home made laser/flag system $400 (but a pain in the ass)
Hong kong IR counter (Bad software)
Paper and pencil ( very tough to use)

So far i have used every system but the lapz setup. Every system has problems. Amb-it does miss laps once in a while even in 12th scale. But for the money it should miss non. Kopropo uses the frequency of the car so for mini z you can't use any aftermarket 75 mhz radios. Home made counters are cool but the do miss laps or count more laps. Pain in the ass to align the lasers and if someone bumps the laser bridge it messes everything up.

We are currently using the core system (i know you guys are also) and last saturday we had 40 cars racing. All day we only had two lap miss counts and that was my fault. I set the min lap time to 4 seconds and the same guy was making it to the counter in under that min lap time on the first lap. Took me all day to figure this one out. hehe
__________________
--
PN Team Driver

2008 PN World Champion
2008 PN Canadian Champion
2006 PN World Champion
2004 Kyosho Cup National Champion
2003 Kyosho Cup National Champion
wcrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 10:49 AM   #5
El Tigre
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrotty
The team orian is a personal lap timing system. Only one car at a time.
I have one and used mine on my mini z when i was training for the nats in my basement. I removed the transponder from the aluminum case and taped it to the outside of the body with the IR led pointed to the outside wall.

Then you just set the pickup unit on the wall of the track. You have your self a counter.

amb-it $3000 - 4000
lapz $800
ko propo $2000
corespeeday $400
home made laser/flag system $400 (but a pain in the ass)
Hong kong IR counter (Bad software)
Paper and pencil ( very tough to use)

So far i have used every system but the lapz setup. Every system has problems. Amb-it does miss laps once in a while even in 12th scale. But for the money it should miss non. Kopropo uses the frequency of the car so for mini z you can't use any aftermarket 75 mhz radios. Home made counters are cool but the do miss laps or count more laps. Pain in the ass to align the lasers and if someone bumps the laser bridge it messes everything up.

We are currently using the core system (i know you guys are also) and last saturday we had 40 cars racing. All day we only had two lap miss counts and that was my fault. I set the min lap time to 4 seconds and the same guy was making it to the counter in under that min lap time on the first lap. Took me all day to figure this one out. hehe
And you cant beat the $2 transponders.
El Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 10:50 AM   #6
ruf
4play
 
ruf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Reflex Racing, everywhere
Posts: 2,605
So does that mean that the KO system will count 27MHz FM? I don't see why it wouldn't, but that simplifies things for me. :P I love 27MHz vs. 75MHz. It's such a cleaner band.
__________________
Joe Chen
www.reflexracing.net
Houston, TX
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 10:59 AM   #7
wcrotty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: lee, NH
Posts: 562
Send a message via AIM to wcrotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tigre
And you cant beat the $2 transponders.
$5 El Tigre.

We got some of the pro-z lexan bodys in the shop. You coming down thursday?
__________________
--
PN Team Driver

2008 PN World Champion
2008 PN Canadian Champion
2006 PN World Champion
2004 Kyosho Cup National Champion
2003 Kyosho Cup National Champion
wcrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 11:03 AM   #8
Ryan Gardner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 89
Lap timers

If someone wants to buy a laser flag system off of me, you can make me an offer... It's this style: http://www.minizlapcounter.com for 6 cars...
It is not bad - but I am a big fan of internal antennas... always have been - always will be. Nothing throws the scale look off for me more than a gigantic antena that would be 9 feet long in scale length...
Ryan Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 11:05 AM   #9
wcrotty
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: lee, NH
Posts: 562
Send a message via AIM to wcrotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruf
So does that mean that the KO system will count 27MHz FM? I don't see why it wouldn't, but that simplifies things for me. :P I love 27MHz vs. 75MHz. It's such a cleaner band.
I don't know if it counts 27 FM. I like 27Mhz also but i have been to too many big 10th scale races and see an entire main with 27 band people........the guys who qualified 7-10 had to find 75Mhz radios to borrow.
__________________
--
PN Team Driver

2008 PN World Champion
2008 PN Canadian Champion
2006 PN World Champion
2004 Kyosho Cup National Champion
2003 Kyosho Cup National Champion
wcrotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 11:42 AM   #10
ruf
4play
 
ruf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Reflex Racing, everywhere
Posts: 2,605
40 and 29 for big races, but you risk being tagged by FCC. I always have a 75 module anyways.

As for 27FM, I can't see why it wouldn't count. I'll try it this weekend and report back.
__________________
Joe Chen
www.reflexracing.net
Houston, TX
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 02:25 PM   #11
mini-z racing
Team Losi
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 1,139
Send a message via AIM to mini-z racing
I heard the transponders are going to be $10 now,
__________________
Had a great time at RCX
www.jakeafiedmotors com
www putnampro.com
www racingcity com
mini-z racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 05:07 PM   #12
El Tigre
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcrotty
$5 El Tigre.

We got some of the pro-z lexan bodys in the shop. You coming down thursday?
I will try to, I went racing 1/10th sedans last Friday and got served. I am getting an HPI Pro4 tomorrow and may be working to get that going, also I may have to work my second job. If Scott is gonna show(as if there really is a way to be sure), I will be there to strongarm some stuff from him. If he does show up, bar the door and I will drop what I am doing.
El Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.15, 11:51 PM   #13
pianoman
www.mini-zracer.com/shop/
 
pianoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: North Branch, Minnesota
Posts: 1,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Gardner
If someone wants to buy a laser flag system off of me, you can make me an offer... It's this style: http://www.minizlapcounter.com for 6 cars...
It is not bad - but I am a big fan of internal antennas... always have been - always will be. Nothing throws the scale look off for me more than a gigantic antena that would be 9 feet long in scale length...
I'm in the market...I bought all of the parts to make one, but no dang time. Howmuchyouwantforit?

Cheers,

Pianoman

deuceswild2000@hotmail.com
__________________
Pianoman has left the building!
pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.20, 01:31 AM   #14
Ryan Gardner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Provo, UT
Posts: 89
I sent you an email about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman
I'm in the market...I bought all of the parts to make one, but no dang time. Howmuchyouwantforit?

Cheers,

Pianoman

deuceswild2000@hotmail.com
I sent you an email about it... don't know if it got through your spam filter or not... Let me know what you think of that offer...

Ryan
Ryan Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.03.23, 06:34 PM   #15
I-Lap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 97
Check out http://www.rclapcounter.com for another option.

Craig
I-Lap is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setting up 2 lap counters hksdummy Core Lap Timing System Support Forum 0 2005.10.06 04:50 PM
transponders and lap counters ruknd@aol.com Tracks and GTGs 7 2004.11.17 07:49 PM
What Lap Counters are out there? 95_civic_gsr Lap Timing Systems and Software 60 2004.05.04 12:55 PM
Off the Shelf: Lap counters LoctiteNSX Tracks and GTGs 0 2002.09.14 03:40 AM
lap counters capone Lap Timing Systems and Software 18 2002.05.13 03:55 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 Mini-ZRacer.com
Mini Inferno Sale - Up to $85 Instant Savings!
Micro-T Hop-Ups
RC18R, M18, Micro RS4, Mini-LST, TamTech-Gear, Minizilla, RC18T, RC18B, RC18MT
shop.tinyrc.com Products

more»
Tiny RC Community News
[09/23/14] shop.tinyrc.com: New Atomic,... : Hey Racers!
It's been a busy week here at shop.tinyrc.com.  Plenty of new and re-order products have been rolling in along with some - more»
[11/27/13] shop.tinyrc.com: Holiday... : Hi Racers,
Ready...Set...Save this holiday season!  We're offering deep discounts on all varieties of Kyosho ReadySets, Body & Chassis Sets, Chassis Sets and Chassis & Transmitter - more»
[11/01/12] shop.tinyrc.com: Halloween... : Although Halloween has passed, the ghost of our sale lingers on (but only through Sunday, November 4th). Check out our latest Newsletter and get yourself a new Kyosho MB-010 Buggy for under $200! - more»
Mini-Z, Mini-Z Racer, MR-02, MA-010
M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
Mini Inferno, Mini Inferno ST, half EIGHT, 1/16, 16th scale
Epoch, Indoor Racer, 1/43, 43rd scale
E-Savage, eSavage, eZilla, e-Zilla, HPI
Robots, Bots, Bipeds, Wheeled, Manoi, Roomba, NXT, Lego, Hacking
Crawling, Crawlers, Micro, RC, Losi Mini-Rock Crawler, Duratrax Cliff Climber
Kyosho Minium, Caliber 120, Minium Forums
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, Mini Inferno Hop-Ups, Mini Inferno Parts, M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts