Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2005.11.28, 10:09 PM   #1
pchan0
Team ShoBoi

Send a message via ICQ to pchan0 Send a message via MSN to pchan0
Let's drift.

Here is a short clip of the MA-01 AWD doing a little drifting.

Here

Some of the guys also say the original chassis is very fragile with very brittle plastic. I guess that's why Kyosho has a rigid chassis set as an option for the MA-010.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rigid chassis set.jpg (22.2 KB, 260 views)
Old 2005.11.28, 10:21 PM   #2
herman

hmm... wondering how much faster it would go if it were set up not to drift.... just to compare the speed and handling vs. the mr02, mr015 and mr01...
herman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.29, 08:06 AM   #3
Twenty-Se7en
Rockin Da Z

Send a message via MSN to Twenty-Se7en
yeah... that is what i'm wondering.
Twenty-Se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.29, 08:17 AM   #4
byebye

When I drift it gets moving on the straights and I'm trying to keep the wheels spinning all the way through. I can imagine with some sticky narrows all around it's gotta launch faster than the rwd.

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.29, 10:17 AM   #5
ruf
4play

Nope. Drivetrain losses. Unless you get to a power level where the traction of the 4WD is needed, the RWD will launch quicker with its MUCH more efficient drivetrain.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.29, 11:27 AM   #6
byebye

You think? My money is on the 4wd just because of all 4 wheels. Now I did say launch not necisarily higher top speed. It's gonna be fun drifting though. To tell you the truth I had a hard time keeping my x-modZ from rolling and the awd just didn't seem to work efficiently(with sticky tires). Now we are talking about an x-mod. I can see the diffs in the ma-010 getting there work cut out for power modders. Even with a 3x2 it didn't launch near as quick as my current hot car.

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.29, 11:39 AM   #7
michvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchan0
Here is a short clip of the MA-01 AWD doing a little drifting.

Here

Some of the guys also say the original chassis is very fragile with very brittle plastic. I guess that's why Kyosho has a rigid chassis set as an option for the MA-010.
It's not drifting! it mishandles!
Old 2005.11.29, 11:45 AM   #8
PlagueWulf
Warbirds & Monster Trucks

Great video!

I think its great because it shows exactly what I want to use my MA01 for - DRIFTING!
And from what I see here it should be possible to get some real good drifting out of it. I was a little worried the small scale would make it too hard to drift properly, but this video put my mind at ease.

Also our track (Lumburgring) is all turns, tight/narrow and slippery - I think my MA01 will do very well indeed on this track.
PlagueWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.29, 01:07 PM   #9
Ken Mifune
2-Z or not 2-Z...

Nice video. It takes practice to drift effectively. Also the right set up. His looked way too loose even for drifting. I had a feeling he'd greet the wall after the long straight, lol.

But atleast now some of our questions have been answered. I think it looks very good.

Anybody know some basic rules for a drift-class? It can be tough because there are many perceptions of what a drift is.
Old 2005.11.29, 01:25 PM   #10
ruf
4play

I've judged a few drift competitions and built my fair share of full-size drift cars. The rules can be pretty complicated, but in a nutshell you're judged on a few things.

speed: entry, mid, and exit
accuracy: you MUST clip the apex as close as possible
slip angle: how far you hang it out/get crossed up
style: feints, aggressiveness, 3-wheeling, jumping the curb with the inside wheels, hanging the outside rear wheel into the dirt

In tandem runs, you are just trying to do the same thing by "outshowing" the other car. No contact is allowed. You aren't supposed to try to pass (but you can), but get as close to the car in front as possible. Lead car is supposed to try to pull away. Buildling a gap looks impressive for the lead car as does closing a gap for the chase car. It can be REALLY tough to see/breathe in someone's tiresmoke.
Mini-Z World Champions!
Reflex Racing Blog
Reflex Racing YouTube
ruf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.30, 03:46 PM   #11
saiyan
BooYa!!

I think that if you're trying to compare the AWD to the RWD you're comparing apples to oranges. You have to look at the K AWD as compared to other AWD cars in the scale.

I only hope that Brian adds an AWD class to the HFAY and maybe even a drift class would be cool.

I'm really lookin forward to the MA010 for drifting and regular racing. I also hope they come out with some drift inspired bodies soon.
Kamehamehaaaaa!!!!!! Rallye racers are the originators of drift Speedchannel on-line rocks!!
saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.30, 04:04 PM   #12
bda52
I want my two dollars!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bda52
Quote:
Originally Posted by saiyan
I think that if you're trying to compare the AWD to the RWD you're comparing apples to oranges. You have to look at the K AWD as compared to other AWD cars in the scale.

I only hope that Brian adds an AWD class to the HFAY and maybe even a drift class would be cool.

I'm really lookin forward to the MA010 for drifting and regular racing. I also hope they come out with some drift inspired bodies soon.
AWD class would be cool but drift would be impossible. As ruf mentioned, drifting is judged (like figure skating or diving). If the car in the video was being judged on its run, it would score low. Too late of entries (or just missed corners) and car gets max angle too late in the corners.

I am thinking the best way to set up for drifting would be to set the car up to handle with normal racer tires on the car first. Get it comfortable on the track then change to the drift tires. Then back off your 'racer' setup until you get a good feel for sliding through the corners.

If you want to checkout some real 1:1 drifting check out G4TV. They have some good shows dedicated to drifting. I only caught 2 for the Formula D events on G4. The one from Wall Stadium in NJ and one of the events from Irwindale Speedway in CA. I could honestly not tell you who won the events since I did not pay attention to the drivers.
bda52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.30, 04:50 PM   #13
saiyan
BooYa!!

Ya i watch G4TV all the time for the console gaming stuff and the Drift racing. As far as a drift class goes, in 1:10 the way they do it here at my LHS is the same as any other race, the 1 with the most laps or first across the line wins. Unfortunately it's not based on technical, skill or style. I figuered as long as the car had drift tyres on it, that's all that would be needed to qualify for the drift class. I set up my TC3 for the roadcourse with regular tyres and then just switch it over to abs tyres for the drift class. The abs tyres don't care what the set up is, but i know the Kyosho drift tyres with the abs rings have just enough traction to make slight tuning necsesary. How much slip the MA010 drift tyres have will determine if set up will play a big roll or not.
Kamehamehaaaaa!!!!!! Rallye racers are the originators of drift Speedchannel on-line rocks!!
saiyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.30, 07:01 PM   #14
imxlr8ed

I don't know... I would also think a video contest would be better for the AWDs... who can cut the most consistent corners, best group drift, best stunt (360s and such). The cars are more reknowned for their showy-ness, not their performance.
Until someone slaps a set of sticky 8 degrees on those rims and races on on an RCP, we are not going to know if the AWD is a true advantage over RWD. (I'm betting no, as I'm sure most of us are.) But who knows, in a Mod class with a nice stack, it just might be an advantage... look forward to seeing one at my track someday !

Don't get me wrong, I do want to see the times on HFAY for these !!!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/UID

http://www.howfastareyou.com

SUPPORT LBR!!!
(Local Basement Racing)

Last edited by imxlr8ed; 2005.11.30 at 07:04 PM.
imxlr8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2005.11.30, 09:23 PM   #15
bda52
I want my two dollars!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to bda52
With AWD, when you get the setup correct, you have no push or loose condition. I think these will dominate against the MR series cars myself, just like AWD cars have in 1:1 series until rules changes made them illegal in Trans-Am, IMSA and SCCA top touring divisions.
bda52 is offline   Reply With Quote