Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.03.01, 05:20 PM   #1
cdog4w

transporting rcp track

I've seen the threads on storing the track, but haven't seen any threads on transporting it. I know a bunch of you transport tracks from home to GTG's, I assume you do it with rails on. So do you just toss loose tiles or small stacks into your car or have you found a storage box that works to contain them? I'm ideally thinking of something large that can hold a single wide L (in my case 45 degree) kit worth and has wheels for ease of movement.

Any ideas?
cdog4w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.01, 05:28 PM   #2
rharris
that Orange car is fast..

Send a message via Yahoo to rharris
I'm getting ready to build some cases so we can move our track. We got an offer to use a big gym at a local university. Turns out one of the club members is palls with the facility manager.

I found this pic on another thread (It's got his logo on it so you'll know who's idea this was). This idea rocks and is how I store my track. We can tear down and stack it in a matter of minuets.

I am going to build boxes with casters on the bottom out of 1/4 ply, I'm going to put the frame on the outside, so that the inside is smooth.

I need the box to allow me to stack in this way so that tear down can be as fast as it is now.

The dimensions of the box will be the correct width to allow stacking of the track as layed out in the diagram.

This way I can roll it around my garage, and throw the boxes in the back of the truck.

Rite now, if we want to move the track, we put it in cardboard boxes and throw it in my truck. It takes forever to stack it this way and takes alot Moore room in the truck then the new box will.

I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RCP_StorageStack.jpg (98.2 KB, 268 views)

Last edited by rharris; 2006.03.01 at 05:48 PM.
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.01, 06:11 PM   #3
cdog4w

Thats the stacking method I use, so I'm looking for a mass produced box to fit it (instead of your home built solution). I will check stack dimensions tonight and do some searching. I think my ideal solution would be a trunk shape instead of a tall square shape (ie. 2 shorter piles vs. 1 tall pile), and ideally have wheels. I would do anything that fit them tho! Only reason I wouldn't build my own is lack of tools/shop space since I live in an apartment.

I'll post if I find anything.
Old 2006.03.01, 06:30 PM   #4
Sinister_Y

My girlfriend's Aunt's company makes custom bags and such. If anyone can provide a design, I can see about getting them done.(i.e. quote) There is no minimum and she would only charge the cost for the materials and the labour, no markups...anyway, a suggestion. I know another guy who is in the embroidery business and can do up some patches or embroider the actual bags. Keep in mind that you can't put RCP on it, since that is a trademark symbol and would need to either get permission from John Billig or buy the rights from him to use his logo.

I personally was thinking something like a square bag with a shoulder strap and handles, like a duffle bag, but had re-enforced interior (like cardboard..like duffle bag). Also know of another place that offers plastic fasteners of all sorts, including stuff like belts (and other assorted buckles, strap fasterners etc...). The company is Spaenaur (www.spaenaur.com) if anyone would like to look there for stuff to help with the design. That is where I would get the assorted clips and stuff for the shoulder strap.
Sinister_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.01, 07:36 PM   #5
cdog4w

Well, after some measuring, it looks like the edge tiles are 20.5" wide (measured along the rail). For the proper staggered stacking as in the image rharris linked, add 2x the width of the border, 5" (2.5" each). So if you were absolutely PERFECT, you could fit the stack in a 25.5"x25.5" square, but I'd go for a 26"-28" square so you don't have to align it PERFECTLY when storing. Height of my stack is about 26-28" too...

Digging around for boxes now.

Sinister_Y, can you get a quote on a bag with those dimensions? Perhaps make it 2 bags with a height of 14" each so its a more managable carry?
Old 2006.03.01, 08:08 PM   #6
cdog4w

Found this:
http://www.containerstore.com/browse...7&PRODID=69671 but the 6" kills it... something along these lines would do fine tho.

Just a big cardboard box, but the dimensions are about right...
http://www.bellamstorage.com/box/box-TV.htm
Old 2006.03.01, 10:03 PM   #7
Sinister_Y

Cdog, so...looking at the links, what you would be comfortable with is what seems like a suitcase type bag. Which means zippers and handles as noted in the sample pic in the 1st link.

I think rharris has the right idea about using wheels and stuff, so carting this stuff around is as easy as pie.

Also, when I said design, I meant like a C.A.D. design (like what Draconius whips up for RCP track tiles (like 45 deg stuff), not just dimensions, though that is a start.

If I wanted the factory to make the bag with what we've got so far, they would probably have to charge for the design as well. That's because they would have to make a pattern, which they then cut from the material and then use the machines to sew it up, etc... It may take them sometime to 'get it right'. REmember they construct the bags, not engineer them...Although I guess I could hack my way through it to make something like what you had suggested.

I think we need some more help from some other members...plus there should be other guys/people who want to do the same thing as this and if we all band together it should be easier for us. Again, nobody is looking to make money here, this is just filling our needs so we can play our r/c cars with our buddies and cart our RCP tracks around.

Note that I am in Toronto, Canada. So, with the bags being made in Canada, it hopefully would be duty free due to NAFTA free trade act for anyone south of the border, like my American friends. However, there would be shipping charges though...

I'd have to validate with someone about exports involving fabric. I know that is usually means a big hit with custom duties if importing from another country into Canada, but the other way around, not sure.

This maybe a project that doesn't materialize (like that pun?) as quick as everyone would want, unless of course we get a CAD designing person to do us up a design, regardless I provide the dimensions as noted and get some kind of feedback this weekend. I will post any update to this thread.
Old 2006.03.03, 03:28 PM   #8
Sinister_Y

Here is some info on come custom cardboard boxes as needed. Dimensions are 28" square (as noted in your email before)

The same girlfriend's aunt uses this place for boxes for their manufacturing...

www.coltpak.com

Talked to sales rep "Dave" and got the following quote:

(minimum order) 100 boxes that are 200 test, single wall (will support up to 65 lbs) is $11.64/ box CDN (using today's exchange is about $10.25 USD each). They provide free shipping within Canada (sorry guy...)

Price for 200 boxes (same specs) is $9.05 CDN each (USD= approx $7.97 each).

I will still look at doing up some material containers. In fact I did take engineering at school, but it was a LONG time ago and I never finished, I went into Finance world instead, so I have a design. Just got to find where to get the material cheap. I'm looking to have it waterproof and like canvas since I though guys might want to store it outside or at least in the garage where it may be damp or cool.

The guy just called me back when posting this and said he would take off another 5% discount...so you work out the numbers and whatever shipping cost would be.

Let me know if you want to go ahead with the box idea for now and then after we've used the boxes, we could go with the fabric container provided it's price point is good.

L8r
Old 2006.03.03, 03:46 PM   #9
RCPMini-z
rcptracks.com

We designed a storage bag in May of 2005 and had some prototype bags manufactured and brought them to RCX. We haven't put them into production as of yet because the minimum order from our supplier overseas was way to high. The stacking method we came up with in 2005, that works best is shown in the attached pictures and is very much like the drawings shown in the beginning of this post. This method allows you to keep the side rails attached for quick and easy assembly. The prototype bag is shown in attached pictures. The only change to this design is bigger straps and a larger RCP Tracks logo.

Sinister, I am interested in what your supplier could do for us here in the US. Might be something we could include in each track kit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg step(5).JPG (209.8 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg step(6).JPG (149.8 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg step(2).JPG (145.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg step(4).JPG (181.6 KB, 121 views)

Last edited by RCPMini-z; 2006.03.03 at 03:52 PM.
RCPMini-z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.03, 04:36 PM   #10
Sinister_Y

John,

Hello. Will send you an email to your company's address with my contact information. Perhaps we can touch base on this soon to discuss ideas?

Thanks,

Shawn aka Sinister_Y
Old 2006.03.03, 05:11 PM   #11
rharris
that Orange car is fast..

Send a message via Yahoo to rharris
Ok, I want those bags!!!

I would rather have a few bags like that then build custom boxes. Light weight, and easy to move around... Nice.

Come Race with us!!! Club Pics
rharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.03.03, 07:43 PM   #12
cdog4w

I would buy those immediately! I know they're not in production RCP, but any idea on cost, even ballpark, if you did start selling them?

I found a local source for 28"x28"x20" boxes, I'd assume the 200 test. About $14, but no shipping since its local. Will also try officedepot etc. Theres a place online that sells these for $3.59 or less each, but the minimum order is 10:

http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-4866

Still would like a bag, but I think the boxes would do.
Old 2006.06.10, 04:04 PM   #13
911GT3

Track Carrier

Here is an example of a home mode track carrier made out of 1/2 inch CPVC pipe. It is 18 inches tall. The height can be increased or decreased as desired. One basket can be made for about $20. If there is any interest, I can post a parts list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Track_Basket1.JPG (22.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg track_basket2.JPG (18.4 KB, 84 views)
911GT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.10, 06:15 PM   #14
LBRC

Have been looking around unsuccessfully for a photo, while I was in the Navy we used 2’ x 4’ collapsible metal boxes commonly referred to as a “cruise box” although quite heavy they have the advantage of not only being extremely tough and stackable, but also collapse down to approx. 3” high for storage when not in use.

For lighter transport what I think would be ideal is a light weight plastic or plywood and canvas version of the above cruise box. Basically a square canvas bag with handles on the sides that has a sturdy bottom and collapsible sidewalls, it could even have wheels attached to the plywood bottom. The rigid flat bottom and sidewalls would provide protection and prevent the tiles from distorting in heat during transport. They then could be collapsed down for storage and might even allow an limited amount of stacking.

Last edited by LBRC; 2006.06.10 at 06:18 PM.
LBRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.06.10, 07:11 PM   #15
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
Weird that this post should apear pop up again... now that I have some RCP track of my own... I was pondering ways to store it and carry it as well. Came up with a few ideas... one is PVC based, and open construction, like that track basket. I was going to make some hook like shapes to mount on a wall... and hang my track in 2x1 sections on the wall... then I realized this same idea could be a track carrier...

could you all stand it if the carrier was 2 tiles wide? This way you can leave them together in pairs... less assembly/dissaseembly... that should still fit in large trunks, and will deff fit in trucks . The Ann Arbor track gets chunked up into pieces 2 tiles large, and chucked in a box, it winds up warped sometimes and it effects the race... so I will try to get it to stack in a way to have less warp as well.

I am drawing up some sketches now... this carrier will then hang on the wall like my original idea.