Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.08.23, 04:08 PM   #1
Hood
Corvette Killer

AMBrc sytems being used..

I have been looking for more info about using my AMBrc timing system with the Mini-Zs racing on RCP. I have sent a couple emails to tracks that I see using it, but no response.. I also asked the customer support at AMB, and like usual, no response..

I am really looking for info on the loop.. AMB can't tell me how to set it up, and I know people are using it.. If your local track uses AMBrc for your timing, can you get your track director/owner to give you specifics as to how to build a loop. The distance between the wires is ~18", but the purchased loops have tranistors/diodes or something in the middle and you can't purchase a short loop..

Any info would be great..

We are planning on using it for Time Trials in public locations to try to get more interest into the Mini racing here in Arizona.

Thanks,
Hood
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.23, 04:36 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
try tom thumbs? anyplace that held a kyosho mini-z cup regional event as they used amb-it.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.23, 05:39 PM   #3
Hood
Corvette Killer

Tom Thumb is closed for a while..

Tom Thumb is closed for a short while, the message states that his father passed away and they are working on some of the legal issues..

Anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks Arch..
Old 2006.08.23, 07:10 PM   #4
dean

It is scary to cut such an expensive loop but it is fine to cut what ever length of the loop line and twist the 2 ends you created together. No solder needed just twist them together.Keep the piece of wire that you cut out of the loop somewhere in case you ever sell the loop you can then just reattach it.You need to keep other lanes from triggering the looped lane with a sort of buffer zone of at least a foot preferably. And if another lane is too close that is triggering the loop from another lane you can cheat a little by not running the loop all the way across on the finish line lane.
- good luck-
Old 2006.08.24, 09:56 AM   #5
Tubaboy

The actual loop is just 16 gauge wire. In the middle of the loop is a resistor. I don't remember the resistor specs, but will try to find out for you.

Paul
Tubaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.24, 03:15 PM   #6
Hood
Corvette Killer

Thanks for the info..

I knew about keeping the other lanes a little bit away from the timing loop to keep cars from counting twice.

I do have a spare loop, but may need it for the big track at some point and it really will not work well trying to put it into the ground with a splice.. The asphalt is cut very narrow to allow the wire to press down under the running surface..

It is funny, that AMB can't/won't take the time to help you after purchasing an expensive piece of equipment.. The same support that I got during the sale, so nothing out of the ordinary for them..

Any info on the resistor would be great a couple feet of 16 guage wire and a resistor costs 60$ from AMB..

Hood
www.HoodsHobbies.com
Old 2007.02.20, 10:31 AM   #7
Hood
Corvette Killer

Six months later..

I have begun testing the AMB system with our cars..

After calling everyday for a couple weeks, I finally got to speak to their tech rep. It took him about 30 seconds to answer my question..

The resistor is a 470 ohm resistor, but for such a small loop he suggested that I try just using the 16 guage wire..

We have cut through the smooth side of the finish tile and embedded the wire without leaving any type of bump. We always have a bump at the finish with the Core system.

With one day of testing under our belt. We have had no trouble with dead batteries not counting, nor with full batteries counting on an adjacent tile even when we parked the car across from the loop against the foam wall, No glitching either..

The transponders weigh 6g compared to 2g for the Core tag, and they fit well under both the Enzo body and the Corvette body that we tried.

We use RC Scoring Pro with our AMB system, and can't image a better piece of software to use. It is nice that we setup practice and the system will call out our laptimes as we run.. If nothing else it will be a great way to practice in my garage with scoring..

Does anyone have any good reasons not to use the AMB transponders besides the fact that they are expensive.
Old 2007.02.20, 11:00 AM   #8
arch2b

the biggest complaints i heard were both cost and the need to hardwire the transponders and limit as to number of transponrders available. alot of the drivers hated having to solder or screw in the leads to the chassis power. this ment just about everyone left their cars turned off until the actual countdown started vs. leaving a peice of paper in the car.

in each of the events i've participated in using the amb-it system there were problems that resulted in several heats being run mulitple times. i'm not saying core has not caused this to happen as well, just that the few times i've dealt with amb-it, it had as many flaws and flukes.

i'm sure the software your using is much more thought and flushed out than core and miles better than what giro-z uses. for the life of me i don't see what people like in that command line driven software. in cores defense, it's relatively easy to use and easily modified for personal effect and display.

how did you come to buy amb-it? it seems like an enormous expense for what your using it for. i do not however have any good reasons why anyone with that kind of money to burn to not try amb-it. did you happen to look into the ko prop arc system? mini-z has one of these as well as core.
Old 2007.02.20, 01:20 PM   #9
Hood
Corvette Killer

My big reason for a scoring system..

www.SpeedWorldScaleSpeedway.com

When I opened the track, I originally purchased the KO Propo Type II System. It was OK, but having to change crystals was too much. The other 1/4 scale tracks already had AMB IT, so I wanted to conform.. Never tried the version that picks up the freq.. Too limited, what about other scales, AD band, etc..

That being said the other 1/4 scale tracks still use JLAP, and have problems at every event.. I have run numerous events on RC Scoring Pro and have never had it fail. I even run it for extended periods of time in practice mode and I have never seen it lock or quit counting.. The system is only as good as the weakest link, usually the software is the weak link..

Not that I have money to burn, but half of our racers already have an AMB transponder in another car, and I have spares for the track. I just used the silicone motor wires from PN to a Mini Deans, I used the battery terminal screws to draw the power, and I can remove the plug very easily with two screws..

I saw the pics of people running them on the roof. But, I don't see any reason for this and so far 'knock on wood' we haven't seen any glitching with them inside the bodies.
Old 2007.02.20, 01:53 PM   #10
arch2b

it sounds like you made the most logical choice for you. i'm certainly glad to hear that you have been doing well with it and had little to no problems.

i like your method of attaching the transponders as well. none of the events i attended that used them provided anything which made it a mad rush to find the stock plug type and hook it up to the car. the majority of racers soldered them but i would prefer the screw tab method to make it easier to remove is needed. we were also told to mount them to the roof to avoid interference which resulted in all the bodies having large holes reemed into the windsheilds.

perhaps you could do a little tutorial on making that little setup
Old 2007.02.20, 01:58 PM   #11
Hood
Corvette Killer

We still use the Core system for Mini-AZ events, but I wanted to play with the AMB for practice and to see if we had any of the same issues that we have with core. So far so good, but only more testing will ensure that there aren't any glitching issues..

I will take some pics and post here so people can see how easy the wiring is.
Old 2007.02.22, 01:23 AM   #12
Tim Johnson

the AMB system is a solid system. It is used in both R/C and well as Full scale racing(get in and drive cars), such as NASCAR type events, all the way down to Go-Carts. The best way I have found to mount your transponder is to hard soilder in a futaba J plug to your chassis, and use the female end on the transponder. The transponder is attaced with velcro or two side tape. I have pics i can post later.

Personaly I am shocked that the popular tracks do not use AMB. It is the most stable system out currently, as long as you don't use AMB's stock software that is....LOL When i get a chance I will post images of a typical transponder set up on a chassis.
Old 2007.02.22, 05:15 AM   #13
arch2b

talk to alex who ran the kyosho mini-z cup series a couple years back. i think he would have a very experienced opinion. i don't know if many or any of those events that went off without a hitch using the amb-it system. i'm sure some had to but i do know many didn't.

i'm sure it's an attractive system for shops with decent attendance and run mulitple scales but the price alone excludes it from most clubs.
Old 2007.02.22, 10:43 AM   #14
Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b
talk to alex who ran the kyosho mini-z cup series a couple years back. i think he would have a very experienced opinion. i don't know if many or any of those events that went off without a hitch using the amb-it system. i'm sure some had to but i do know many didn't.

i'm sure it's an attractive system for shops with decent attendance and run mulitple scales but the price alone excludes it from most clubs.
Most of the time the "hitches" are software or human (err) related, I know this from experance. I have ran many club races in the 10th/8th/5th scale on road area, and really the most issues I have had is mostly the software that comes with the AMB system. For about a year I used the software provided from AMB, I was not happy with it nor were the racers. Mainly because it did not conform to the Autoscore standards, that is pretty much and industry standard if you run a track. The two best pices of software to use with the AMB system is RC Scoring Pro(which a lot of people are switching to), or Autoscore. These two are the most stable and non problematic scoring softwares. Also these are what is most common at any 10th and 8th and 5th scale race track. The IFMAR Worlds uses the AMB system. Now im not saying the AMB system is perfect, but it IS the most stable timing system PERIOD. I am not trying to be opinonated.
I hope I did not rub you the wrong way with this post.

Last edited by Tim Johnson; 2007.02.22 at 10:54 AM.
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.02.22, 10:57 AM   #15
arch2b

not at all. i only have the racer end experience of amb-it and it hasn't been as reliable in my experiences.

the software that you mentioned, are those stand alone packages or do they come with a system?