Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2006.08.29, 05:28 PM   #1
Phil Burr

New here, How fast??

Hello everone I'm a new guy here and was thinkin bout gettin one of these cars... Was just wondering how fast these things go? Stock vs Mod? I searched but have not really found anything. Any help would be great!! Thanx for tha COOL site.....

Phil
Phil Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.29, 06:40 PM   #2
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Send a message via Yahoo to bolter9
depending on the pinion gear, you can probably expect a stock mini z to run somewhere around 15kph- standard x-speed motor upgrade will get you up to around 25kph.

If you mod your fets, you can run hotter motors...depending on the setup, you could easily generate enough speed to be unusable at this scale- I'm sure there's someone here who can provide more specific numbers on the options available.

For most indoor tracks, a standard x-speed is great for speed. These cars are all about handling...so it's best to get that dialed in first.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the forum

My Gallery
bolter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.08.29, 08:04 PM   #3
builthatch
yes, it's a boxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Burr
Hello everone I'm a new guy here and was thinkin bout gettin one of these cars... Was just wondering how fast these things go? Stock vs Mod? I searched but have not really found anything. Any help would be great!! Thanx for tha COOL site.....

Phil

bolter has got it right- you can easily make these cars too fast, even tho their handling potential is sky high...

a simple 2x2 4562 stack (or 0113 fets like me ; ) and an atomic z2 will make for a car that is too fast for most tracks....it's that easy to go overboard.

with out of the box internals (non-modified board), you can run something like a Kyosho X-Speed, BB can, neo mags and some nice batteries like Intellect 750's and go pretty damn fast.

FS: several built "old school AM" MR-02s + stuffs
builthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.09.01, 04:34 AM   #4
NoX

just like bolter9 said, i think handling should be your concern when looking 4 a car...cuz too much speed and no handling = 0
Old 2006.09.01, 05:00 PM   #5
SuperFly
bitPimp

Send a message via AIM to SuperFly
Also, if you do a search for videos, you will find some good examples of typical speed on a track. Most of us race on RCP or similar track, and as said earlier, there is a limit to how fast you can/want to go and still turn good lap times.

[mini-z gallery
[/color]
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.09.01, 06:00 PM   #6
HammerZ
Master of Thrash

Send a message via MSN to HammerZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Burr
Was just wondering how fast these things go? Stock vs Mod? I searched but have not really found anything.
This is a very typical question. I would answer it as stock out of the box the speed is good. With the right modifications the speed can be ballistic. I know it isn't saying much, as those of us that have run these things know just what these are capable of doing. As most posts here point to it is more about the handling than outright speed that is the big draw here. If you still have your heart set on speed, fets and a hot motor in an MR01 is about all it takes to zip down the street like it has a rocket attached to it.

I try to stay away from posting actual speed numbers as that usualy leads to oneupmanship. I say 18 MPH, then someone says "is that all, mine hits 25mph" then it goes from there.
Old 2006.09.01, 11:12 PM   #7
bolter9
How're YOU doin?

Send a message via Yahoo to bolter9
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerZ
I try to stay away from posting actual speed numbers as that usualy leads to oneupmanship. I say 18 MPH, then someone says "is that all, mine hits 25mph" then it goes from there.
Agreed- I was just throwing out some ball park figures for general reference. You can expect to get in the range of "insert number" with this setup.

My Gallery
bolter9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.09.06, 07:45 AM   #8
DogbreathRacing
MINI-Z MONSTER GARAGE

Send a message via AIM to DogbreathRacing
These cars are amazingly fast (or perhaps we should say that they LOOK very fast) for thier size and scale.
Lots of guys use speed checkers to measure the potential no-load speed but it is a whole different story when the car is on the track.
Even computer lap counters can not give you a direct overall speed.
The only way is to clock them with an actual radar gun, and when you do that you will be totally surprized at how low the actual speed is.

We have done some radar runs.....
Just as an example,
Stock PCB, 3R Neo BB motor 9T pinion, 1000Mah batts, 15 degree radials, ball diff, bearings, on an RCP track with a 16 ft straight (2 wide L sets together) and the best we could pull down the long straight was 12 mph....just an example

cars with FETs will do better as will cars on a larger track, we plan to radar some 45ft drag runs next week.

MR02RM, MR02MM, MZM,
Pro-Pulse Pro T-100 1/18 4X4,
Associated Team Factory RC18B with MAMBA 56K

DogBreath's Magical Mystery Album
DogbreathRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.10.03, 07:38 AM   #9
Phil Burr

Thanx for all the replies guys!! Handling is my priority just wanted to know if I would have to mod the crap outta a car straight out the box to keep up? 12 mph for a car this small is pretty stinkin fast. Now I just have to find someone close to me that races this scale. Not much racing going on in Arkansas.

Phil
Phil Burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.10.03, 11:55 AM   #10
byebye

Isn't Hammer or HammerZ in Arkansas?

I believe Spoon was doing a "google maps" thing so you could find racers in your area. Also I think Hammer or HammerZ LOL has a stickied RCP track thread for RCP owners to meet up and make a larger track.

-Byebye
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006.10.03, 12:35 PM   #11
Spoon
DCGTG FET Guy

When you get a chance Phil, you shoudl drop your location on the map...Hopefully it will help us build the community.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=showmap2&mapid=2584898
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote