Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2007.11.06, 04:11 AM   #1
herman

atomic stock r evolution motor review

hi folks...

did a search, but zip... anybody got this motor? mine just came in today... been itching to try it out and write a review...

but one thing is bugging me... although the website says that the basic requirement is 3010, do you think it's safe for 3004 fets?

thanks for any replies... (man i'd really hate to be a guinea pig in this situation)

from the atomic website...
Basic Requirement: MOSFET 3010 x 2 / (1 layer)
Turns: 44T
Endbell: Type M1
Body:
1.) Neo Magnet
2.) Dual Ball bearing with High efficiency cooling case

Performance (on 4.8V platform):
RPM (Non-Loading): 34000
Current: 1 AMP

Recommend Gear Ratio”
MR-01,015,02: 5.38:1 to 4.30:1
AWD: 6.38:1 to 4.97:1
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.06, 04:34 AM   #2
herman

http://mini-zracer.com/forums/showth...volution+motor

from the above thread i saw some pics... looks like an older stock 3004 fet chassis... but not certain...

- the motor didn't come with any capacitors, and in some of the pictures that were posted, i saw some capacitors soldered onto the motor... is this necessary? (to reduce motor noise i'm guessing) or can you just use it as is without the capacitors? (sorry if my noobie side is begging to show)

Old 2007.11.06, 12:21 PM   #3
Aurora

Herman,

I don't have mine with me right now, but IIRC, it is just like the Chilli motor(but Chilli will requires more fet upgrade)--there are three SMD caps soldered onto the endball, somewhere between the two comms.
Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.06, 02:51 PM   #4
hrdrvr
MBMZR

Herman. Christian Tabush posted (if I remember correctly) that this motor pushed the limits of the 3010 FETs. I wouldnt run it with 3004s.

How do you know the above car doesnt have stacked FETs?

FWIW, Im running mine in a stock Firelap with no problems. That dang thing is still slow, but I think thats a PCB problem. When installed in an AWD it is real fast. Id say its close to the speed of my 4562 2x2 AWD with Xspeed V. Its a very good motor, and the fastest Ive run on stock FETs, but Im leary to try it in my 02 or 015 (both have 3004s).

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.06, 04:54 PM   #5
pfcparts

I thought they all came with micro caps? They look like a little green board between the tabs. I run mine fine with those on 3010s. I wouldn't even try them on 3004s either...

I used to run one on my awd, but have recently switched back to the atomic awd I was running before as the fets were getting real hot and I didn't notice that much of a difference with the awd stock on my carpet. I did have to switch out my usual pinion as I ruined the thread, but I don't think the plastic pinions slip that much when overheated?

The stock r tore up my rear alloys on my 02 though lol so be careful!

parts
pfcparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.06, 10:01 PM   #6
herman

thanks for all your replies...

Quote:
it is just like the Chilli motor(but Chilli will requires more fet upgrade)--there are three SMD caps soldered onto the endball, somewhere between the two co
you're right... atomic came out with two variants...
the chilli evolution - which requires a fet upgrade of 2x2 4562 fets....
and the the stock r evolution - which is supposed to be for stock fets, but looking at the atomic site, i found out that its supposed to be 3010 fets

was kind of curious if anybody tried the stock r with the older stock 3004 fets...

Quote:
I thought they all came with micro caps? They look like a little green board between the tabs.
unfortunately my motor didn't come with any capacitors soldered onto it, but it did come with a micro cap? (if that's what they call it) as pfc pointed out...
it is a very small little green board between the tabs...

warning another newbie question coming up... so if this is indeed a micro cap, would it mean that i won't be needing anymore capacitors on the motor?

so i guess... at the moment, the safest assumption is to just use the thing on a fetted car...

i will take pics of the motor soon and post shortly... thanks again to everybody...
Old 2007.11.06, 10:02 PM   #7
herman

Quote:
The stock r tore up my rear alloys on my 02 though lol so be careful!
yikes!!! what alloys were you using? what tires were you using? and where were you running it?
Old 2007.11.08, 09:47 AM   #8
herman

just took some pics earlier...

180 hk$ approx 23 us$

out of the packaging...

close up of the micro cap?

does this mean capacitors not required? thanks for any reply...
Old 2007.11.08, 11:35 AM   #9
kja812
EE

Those three small ceramic capacitors on the pcb should take the place of the leaded ones we are all used to seeing between the motor wires and motor can. There should be no need to add additional caps.
kja812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.08, 01:40 PM   #10
TALLGEESE
Dreamcrusher

kja812 is right, you should'nt need to add additional capacitors to the motor.. They've been using these style of capacitor's on 1/10th scale brushed motor's for the last couple of years... It's nice to finally see this type of capacitor mounting on 130 class motors...
TALLGEESE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007.11.08, 09:04 PM   #11
herman

ok thanks for the info guys... hope to do a review on the motor soon...
Old 2008.03.10, 09:10 PM   #12
TheRinger
THATS HOW I ROLL

Good motor, especially when running single layer 4562 fets.
TheRinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.10, 10:04 PM   #13
pooiswyked
Sinister Scalpeler.

i really like my stock r as far as smoothness goes. i run one with a Spinner ESC in my Sinister and it gets pretty sweet run times with plenty of punch.

but comm oil quickly stripped my motor can sticker
pooiswyked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.17, 02:44 PM   #14
RobinZ

It puts out lots of torque. You can feel it from the strong magnets compared to stock Kyosho. It also decelerates very strong due to these magnets. From the Atomic charts it can be seen that the stock R evo is more powerfull than a chilli over the complete speed range, but I do not know how accurate and comparable the Atomics measurements are.

I use the Stock R Evo on my AWD with stock Fets. The only thing is that the two pins with the wires attached stick out underneath the chassis and the thin wires are exposed as well. I suppose an alu or alloy motor clip will touch the pins and cause a short circuit.

My Gallery
RobinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.17, 08:52 PM   #15
Shadow Runner
Best Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ View Post
I suppose an alu or alloy motor clip will touch the pins and cause a short circuit.
Just put thin layer of tape between the motor and mount.