Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.02.06, 12:05 PM   #1
Breeze
Mini-Z Pro

I have a proposition.

For several months now we have been trying to get the scoring system properly set up. There does not seem to be enough time on race night to do this. I propose that in lieu of a race this week, we take the time to take care of this. We need to name the heats and classes correctly. The results are very confusing, to say the least. There is no real distinction between stock, modified or 1/18th scale as far as the print out is concerned. I would also like to measure the length of the run line of the track and enter it into the computer so we can get real MPH numbers. What do y'all think? Please chime in.

ck out my website
SpiceyCajun.com
Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.06, 12:12 PM   #2
Breeze
Mini-Z Pro

Also, this will give us an opportunity to bench race with our friend, Tommy Lane one more time. Of course, the track could still be open for practice.

ck out my website
SpiceyCajun.com
Old 2008.02.06, 01:56 PM   #3
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

Works for me. Anything that will make the night run smoother is worth the investment in time. As it is, we need to tune the show to the time allowed. The way turn out is increasing, if we run 2 rounds of stock heats plus 1 each for mods, F-1's and the 1/18ths then add in 6 mains that accounts for nearly 90 minutes of our 2 hour show for actual racing. Not taking into consideration the time needed between races, or the proverbial "oops, my antenna just broke" "my batteries aren't ready yet" etc,etc. We need to do whatever it takes to get the show done. Jim and Vicky provide for us a terrific venue at no charge. The least we can do in return is to get them out of the store on time.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.06, 04:11 PM   #4
pick
Village Idiot

Not a bad idea. However, you've got a lot of people coming to race that will probably be a little upset if they don't get the opportunity this week. More than likely, not everyone has access or checks the forums. Doing it tomorrow is kind of a last minute thing. Why don't we race as planned tomorrow and discuss organizing next week. Or, some of us could maybe put aside some time on a Saturday or another day of choice. With as great as our turnout has been, I hate to see anything slow things down.

James
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.07, 10:47 AM   #5
pedrocamp
Ain'tSoldEm

Look forward to racing... or practicing... with you guys this evening.
Pedro
pedrocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.07, 12:34 PM   #6
Breeze
Mini-Z Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick View Post
Not a bad idea. However, you've got a lot of people coming to race that will probably be a little upset if they don't get the opportunity this week. More than likely, not everyone has access or checks the forums. Doing it tomorrow is kind of a last minute thing. Why don't we race as planned tomorrow and discuss organizing next week. Or, some of us could maybe put aside some time on a Saturday or another day of choice. With as great as our turnout has been, I hate to see anything slow things down.

James
You have a good point.

ck out my website
SpiceyCajun.com
Old 2008.02.09, 02:12 PM   #7
pooiswyked
Sinister Scalpeler.

Hello guys, this is Josh Dayvault BTW.

As far as deciding on DIRECT heats/mains with CERTAIN times, that sounds great. I heard tlaks of splitting the days we actually race up, in order to compensate for the increasing bunches that are starting to come out and race. As far as improvements. This is my $.02.

1. Certain starting time. You're not there and on the board, sorry. All races must have a certain deadline to enter. Lately it seems like we get started when everyone shows up, not by time. Just my opinion. I haven't been watching the clock either, but it seems we don't get done racing until way after 9, when Jim closes at 7.

2. Definite times, I don't believe we need to change the times for every race? I mean...is that necessary? Meaning, when I say this, that we shortened the times in between races last Thursday, in order to compensate for the added cars and the added races. With a certain starting time we could eliminate this and start when we are susposed to. I mean it's a start.

3. I enjoy running my Scalpel (even though I'm still 1.8 seconds behind Todd!) every Thursday and I will be there every night as I request it off every week from work. This Thursday I'll bring some coupons for you guys for Sonic! lol

I've been meaning to do that. That's all my good points.

Oh and one more thing, in about another 2 weeks there will be one more modified mini.

p.s. can we run lexan in the modified class? lexan is now available for the mr-02. hurda ftw. -josh
pooiswyked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.09, 05:24 PM   #8
Breeze
Mini-Z Pro

You make some good points, Josh. I don't know if the shop will be willing to have more than one race night per week, though. I think that racing this past Thursday night went exceptionally well. We were done by about 9 pm. We just need to keep the racing on pace. No more waiting for some one who's batteries are not ready, (I have been a chief offender of this) or some other problem. I think allowing only one racer per race to call 1 minute, worked very well to help speed things up. So, we will have 2 minutes between the qualifiers and the mains, with the addition of a possible 1 minute call, making it 3 minutes, and then a short break before the mains. We can get all the racing completed in about 2 hours. What needs to be done to the scoring computer is only for tidying up the printouts to make it easier to read. Also the computer can seed the mains - we just need to learn how. This will also save more time. Now, about running lexan bodies in the modified class, I don't see a problem with it as long as the car weighs in @ 180g.

ck out my website
SpiceyCajun.com
Old 2008.02.09, 06:26 PM   #9
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

What happened to Modifieds being run what you brung? For not having many rules, we sure keep coming up with ****-eyed oh by the ways. I talked with Todd Waters today at HS. My interest is in the new 2.4 cars. Not because they are spread spectrum but because they are wayyyy cool. However, they will come double stacked. Everybody will want to make it a modified cause of the stack. Never mind the fact that I believe it comes with an x-speed. Big modified, huh? If you have had the time to cruise the forums, you will see that the new car and fets in general have been a big topic of conversation from the reigning champions down to a duffer like me. Their consensus is leaning toward controling motors not fets. If you stack the fets up to the moon they will still will not show that much of a difference. We are already alowing any single layer in(sic)stock. What will happen is the same guys will win everything by trying to slant so called rules to play to their personal strengths. Scale racing has always been that way. Our ego's won't let us be happy winning the B or C main if we could slant something to keep the A for our private playground. Skill is skill, no matter how much you spend. The cream will always rise to the top. If you just quit stirring it.

You know how I feel, we've talked about it before. Nuff said!

Curmudgeon(on a good day)
Old 2008.02.09, 11:28 PM   #10
pick
Village Idiot

Yes, the new 2.4g cars are very cool. However, I have to strongly disagree with you about its participation in the stock class. Just as yourself, I also own multiple cars. And a stacked fet car with a good set of batteries will deliver a lot more punch acheiving top speed more quickly than a single fet layer. If it didn't make that much of a difference then no one would be doing it. On a track like ours that has more technical sections and the entire field is seperated by less than 0.5 second per lap, this could give someone a very unfair advantage. The rules that I was given a copy of when I first started racing at HSH stated that a stacked fet board could only be ran in modified. Otherwise, I would have stacked every car I own. My point is this, not everyone will be capable of buying one of the 2.4g cars. I don't think it would be fair to change the rules just to accomodate a "new" car. As new cars are released each year will we constantly change the rules leaving all other cars obsolete? The best remedy is to apply the rules already set in place and see where the car fits. In this instance that would be the modified class. If at a later time we see that participation in the stock class is falling off because everyone is using the 2.4g car, then we could possibly change the class. At this time we have more participation in the stock class than any other. Reason being that anyone can walk in, buy a ready set and some tires, and enjoy a good race. Don't worry, I'll be buying a 2.4g car also. However, I'll do it planning to run in the modified class.
James
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.10, 11:31 AM   #11
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator

James,

The boards are already out there and are interchangeable with the 02. I could care less about the 2.4 part. Iwould put a 02 board in it and run it. My and a lot of others whole concept was to not hold back technology to preserve inventory but to bridge the gap with motor rules. Power will not win a race unless all drivers are equal. I proved that in Oct when I ran my modified in stock and only finished 11 laps down on the old carpet. Todd commented that the 2.4 cars would be to big to run with the others. They have the same wheelbase as the Stock Cars(NASCAR).

It all really doesn't matter to me. I'm going to run whatever we have. I'm just trying to be the Pain in the *** that is my nature whenever I see someone come up with a way to control somebody elses ability to compete. Read back a couple of posts and see where this started. The first day I showed up at HS with an x-mod I got jumped by one of our own about being in the way and would never be able to compete with an X-mod. I hunted around and found a used 02 with a speedy 05 all plastic and 3004. The same guy said you can't race here. That car is not legal. You know as well as I what is being used at HS. When we tried to establish a board rule, it blew up because 90% of the competitors would have had to buy new boards.
That is why I made the comment about protecting turf.The very best don't fear the competition, They welcome it cause it makes them better.

Again I say the best rules are NO RULES. Everything will stay the same. You will continue to improve and I will still be in the way.

Nuff said

Last edited by mleemor60; 2008.02.10 at 11:33 AM.
Old 2008.02.10, 11:48 AM   #12
pooiswyked
Sinister Scalpeler.

I have to say that many good points were brought up. I think the rules need to be posted somewhere again, for I was never really told them.

I plan on running Modified. I heard the only rule was that it had to have a Mini Z body. I suggested the question about Hurda earlier, and Lara provided a good point. If lexan is run there should probably be a minimum car weight. Maybe the entire mod class should have a mini weight? I see the no rules are the best rules but what about when you get past boards to speed controllers? Lexan can be run on mini z's, however after it is introduced I fear the gains are so great that everyone would have to run lexan in order to keep up. The weight diff. is unreal. The new cars are no problem to me. If there are ALOT of them, we could run another class, but that would just develop into more time burnt up.

The races went by good last Thursday.

But like I said I just want some specific rules, I plan to come in and win in an honest manner. I don't want someoen to cry out in the Modified class, because as I hear anything goes!

that mph idea was a good one. i'm all for that. and haviung another dam,n scalpel to run so the xray doesn't eat me every week.
Old 2008.02.10, 11:18 PM   #13
kwsmith29

There are copies of the rules for stock class at the hobby shop. I hope no one is wanting to change up again. The class is very competitive right now. It would be be a shame to spoil that.

As far as I know the the mod class is run whatca ya brung. The only exeception I think was no lipolys, but dont quote me.

I know one thing for sure, much more complaining about rules and were gonna get the plug pullied on us.

A far as the new cars(2.4) they would deffinatly be in the mod class.

We are short on time now, cut back to one heat this past week. I dont know where we would come up with time for anymore classes.

wade
kwsmith29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.02.10, 11:34 PM   #14
pooiswyked
Sinister Scalpeler.

I agree that with the added cars we may run out of time.

One heat sounds great. I don't care about the time epriod in between myself, justhave your stuff ready before. It's not like there haven't been 6 days before. I know this sounds "strict" but we shouldn't complain about time if we bring it upon ourselves.

Mod=run whatcha brung, fine with me, minus lipos.

stock=not gonna be in it until later, so not worried yet.

The classes should not change, the pro-stock racing is the best EVER. -josh
Old 2008.02.11, 01:37 PM   #15
pooiswyked
Sinister Scalpeler.

i was just inquiring because i am not running a mini z chassis in mod. i don't want to build a car that will come out and eclipse the competition the first night, only to be protested against. i'm not out buying the BEST quite yet, but give me awhile and some time to play around and maybe.

rules suggested sound great, what's left to improve? i think times are down pretty pat in my book.

as for the pro stock class, i was wondering if thart allows ANY chassis change at all, since it is possible to use stock PCB electronics on many Pro-z kits out there. i'm gonna run stock in awhile, afte ri get my current projects wrapped/set up. -josh