Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2008.03.01, 09:29 AM   #1
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

HELP...Steering Problems

When I got my mr02 LM I Paired the car and transmitter as per the instructions and that worked fine. However I cannot center the steering, the trim is set all the way to the lert and the wheels still face right. The weird thing is that when I first turn the car on the steering works fine, I can center the trim and the car turns just fine in both directions but after about 30 seconds of messing with it the wheels keep pointing towards the right side and I run out of trim adjustment. Even with the trim all the way to the left the wheels still point right, and it also causes the car to turn further to the left. I thought at first I had accidentally set the end pionts for the steering wrong but I reset the transmitter and I still have the same issue. I also looked for a screw on the board to center the steering like the old 02's but It it doesnt have one.

Ontop of all this the sterring is jittering like like it is glitching, but it does not do it all the time just every once in a while.The part that bugs me about it is that the throttle still works perfectly fine, no glithcing like the steering.

Well if anyone has any suggestions the input is more than welcome, this probleme is driving me insane.
VAzRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.01, 09:47 AM   #2
byebye

I can't help you sorry I want to know what the outcome is though.

Sounds like end points but I haven't gotten that aquainted with it yet.

Subscribed for info.

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.01, 09:53 AM   #3
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

Hey byebye this is Matt from the endurance race, team advan. The end point is on thing that I'm still in the dark on too, I read the instuctions and do what the say for endpoint adjustment but I doent seem to do anything. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, it be better than having a broken car or transmitter even thoughn it would make me feel like an idiot. It just doent make sense that it is ok when the car is first turned on and then it goes crazy.
Old 2008.03.01, 09:55 AM   #4
byebye

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAzRACER View Post
Hey byebye this is Matt from the endurance race, team advan. The end point is on thing that I'm still in the dark on too, I read the instuctions and do what the say for endpoint adjustment but I doent seem to do anything. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, it be better than having a broken car or transmitter even thoughn it would make me feel like an idiot. It just doent make sense that it is ok when the car is first turned on and then it goes crazy.
Hey Matt! Have you tried re-establishing a connection between the car and transmitter?

Kris
byebye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.01, 09:57 AM   #5
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

I've paired the car and transmitter about a dozen time with the same result, I have even reset the transmitter to the default setting about five times.
Old 2008.03.01, 01:31 PM   #6
pfcparts

I'd check to see the lines going away from the board

Usually when something is squished, it turns that way. I think since it is fine in the beginning and as you run it, it gets worse, some wire might be getting squashed causing it to turn to the left fully.

Again make sure you are resetting it correctly. I had to do it a few times before it actually worked.

Other than that problem in resetting, the tx is pretty easy to work with. Especially with a manual lol.

As for setting the endpoints, if I recall correctly, all you do is fully tilt the wheel to the side you want and then trim it with the top button while both car and tx are on. Same thing with throttle control. Just be sure to put it on the stand while gassing lol.

parts
pfcparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.01, 02:34 PM   #7
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

I did not think about that happening, But I have had it happen on another mr-02. I will take the chassis apart and look at the wires.

It turns out that I am adjusting the endpoints the right way, but it seems to still adjust the trim instead of the endpoint even with the wheel turned to one side.

I'm going to reset a the transmitter and chassis and see if it helps and also check the wires.

Thanks for the help.
Old 2008.03.01, 11:40 PM   #8
Tim Johnson

Follow the instructions on page 25 of your transmitter manual to reset your transmitter. Then pair the transmitter and car again. That should fix your issues. DO this before taking the car apart.

Still having issues? Call 800-716-4518, ask for Customer Support.

Last edited by Tim Johnson; 2008.03.01 at 11:56 PM.
Tim Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.02, 08:59 PM   #9
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

Thanks for the tip Tim, when the problem started I did this twice. It did fix the throttle issue I was having but the steering problem is still there.I did reset the transmitter to default three more times after that and nothing happened.I ended up taking the top cover off to take a look, everything was fine. I looked for pinched wires or any sign that the pot was wedged in the steering box and it was all ok. At this point I think I am going to return the car even though I really dont want to.
Old 2008.03.06, 12:36 AM   #10
herman

VAzRACER...

looks like most of the guys suggestions should work...
you might have a defective kt-18... did you try pairing your kt-18 with another car? were you able to pair your car with another kt-18?

that will more or less determine if there's any problem with your car, or your transmitter...

here are a couple of things you might want to try before having it replaced...

===

set the steering endpoint to maximum on one side (i.e. left) by pressing the steering trim one click at a time (there will be a very faint but audible beep every time you you press it), until you hear multiple beeps..... this will mean that you have reached the max end point...

from page 5 of the the k-18 manual, it says that there are 25 clicks / beeps to get it to center (you will know this if you hear a continuous beep), and another 25 clicks to the opposite end point...

if you have reached the center check if steering is all fixed...

if not....

you might want to try my next solution...

====
this method is banking on kt-18 being similarly built as the kt-2 and kt-5 wherein there is a similar pot (like the one on the board in the car) located in the hole of the steering wheel, inside the transmitter...

(i've tried this before on my kt-2 and it really works... basically found this easier and better than opening my car up and adjusting the pot... also i didn't want to put a hole in the sticker revealing the hole in the top plastic cover of the chassis for quicker access to the pot in the car...)

center your tx by method above... note: although the tx is centered, your tires might not actually pointing straight....

unscrew the steering wheel from the kt-18...

insert a long non conductive precision screwdriver (suggest you use a non conductive type - i.e. plastic, the type used in computers etc.) in the hole where the screw holds the wheel... it has to be long enough to reach the slot in the pot of the tx...

using a conductive (i.e. metal) precision screwdriver might short something out... so don't blame me if it does... i actually was foolish enough to adjust my kt-2 with a metal screwdriver, luckily i didn't short anything out...

once it's in the slot (of the pot), turn slowly and adjust wheels accordingly...

i haven't actually done this on my kt-18, since i don't have any issues with steering...

but i think this would be worth a try at least, since you are considering returning it... pls. do this at your own risk, and do it with a non conductive precision screwdriver...

let us know what happens...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.06, 07:24 AM   #11
Tim Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
====
this method is banking on kt-18 being similarly built as the kt-2 and kt-5 wherein there is a similar pot (like the one on the board in the car) located in the hole of the steering wheel, inside the transmitter...

(i've tried this before on my kt-2 and it really works... basically found this easier and better than opening my car up and adjusting the pot... also i didn't want to put a hole in the sticker revealing the hole in the top plastic cover of the chassis for quicker access to the pot in the car...)

center your tx by method above... note: although the tx is centered, your tires might not actually pointing straight....

unscrew the steering wheel from the kt-18...

insert a long non conductive precision screwdriver (suggest you use a non conductive type - i.e. plastic, the type used in computers etc.) in the hole where the screw holds the wheel... it has to be long enough to reach the slot in the pot of the tx...

using a conductive (i.e. metal) precision screwdriver might short something out... so don't blame me if it does... i actually was foolish enough to adjust my kt-2 with a metal screwdriver, luckily i didn't short anything out...

once it's in the slot (of the pot), turn slowly and adjust wheels accordingly...

i haven't actually done this on my kt-18, since i don't have any issues with steering...

but i think this would be worth a try at least, since you are considering returning it... pls. do this at your own risk, and do it with a non conductive precision screwdriver...

let us know what happens...
just a heads up, doing this WILL VOID the warranty of your KT-18
Old 2008.03.06, 03:30 PM   #12
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

Hreman, thanks for the suggestion but if that will void the warranty theres no way I'm going to do it at this point. I've tried adjusting the steering endpoints with the wheel turned and pressing the steering trim button but all it does is change the trim instead the endpoints. Everyone thinks I'm doing it wrong but I have watched others do it to their cars with no problems. I have not had a chance to pair my radio with another car. I dont think it's a pairing issue though becaus the throttle works 100% problem free.

I already have it in a box and its getting mailed to Kyosho in the morning, they are going to try to fix and if they cant I was told they would replace it.

Thanks for the tips, I'll post the end results when I get the car back.
Old 2008.03.06, 03:32 PM   #13
Tim Johnson

I will be waiting for your box
Old 2008.03.06, 09:44 PM   #14
herman

Quote:
just a heads up, doing this WILL VOID the warranty of your KT-18
ooops my bad... wouldn't want to do that... it's not my intention for anybody to do that to just void their warranty...

just a happy hobbyist since 2001 giving advice that i know works for me and my kt-2 ... haven't really tried it on the kt-18 though...
so i really have no idea if there is indeed a pot in there or not...

maybe tim and kyosho america can find that out for themselves since they will be receiving your car... i hope they can at least try out my solution to see if it works or not...

i'll try to find a post hopefully a video regarding my steering solution on a mr01/02/015 with the kt-2 & kt-5...

that's really great news and great support that kyosho america will replace it if they can't fix it....
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008.03.07, 05:19 PM   #15
Thomas
Mini-Z champion

Unhappy

I have had two customers with almost the same problem.
In both instances, it has been the transmitter that fails, not the car.
When I have exchanged the transmitter everything is ok.