Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.05.03, 11:52 AM   #1
Hood
Corvette Killer

HFAY F1 Setups

Looking for some of those ultra fast setups from the DC group.

They are dominating the HFAY Championship as they will most likely take the top 4 or 5 positions. What are you guys doing different from the rest of the world?

I will gladly give up my list of goodies, and Joe should be close to identical to mine..

ASF Board with no upgrades
0 tierod
2 degree knuckles
SS PN Kingpins
Yellow Springs
Graphite Kyosho Plates
PN Mount
Yellow Side Springs
No shock, but washer to keep from overextending
Kyosho Ball Diff
PN Ceramic Balls 5
PN 64 Pitch
54/10 usually..
Battery Tray Shaved
TRP 900 Batteries
PN 6 Rears
Kyosho 30 Fronts

Thanks for sharing..

Hood
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.03, 01:19 PM   #2
ocean rodeo

I'm not from DC but I can tell you your gearing is a little bit obscure.
ocean rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.03, 04:35 PM   #3
Hood
Corvette Killer

That is great advice.. I will try not to be obscure in the next series.
Old 2009.05.03, 05:55 PM   #4
VAzRACER
Team Reflex

Whats up Hood, here is my current hfay setup for F1...

-stock asf board
-0 toe
-1 degree camber
-stock king pins (polished)
-yellow front springs
-Kyosho cf side plates
-pn mount
-no side springs
-kyosho shock
-red spring on shock with 2 washers for preload
-Kyosho diff
-pn carbon diff balls
-standard diff gear with 8t or 9t depending on the track (not 64 pitch yet)
-Orion 900 batteries
-Kyosho 30 front tires
-Kyosho 20 rear tires (taped and glued)
VAzRACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.03, 06:17 PM   #5
Hood
Corvette Killer

No side springs is different..

Thanks for the info.. One of our local fast guys is running a stacked AM board and has some really fast laptimes, I was considering putting a little more in my F1..

Looking to see if others are using different setups or stacks that give the big lapcounts..

Whatever you do, don't be obscure in your gearing!

Thanks again..

P.S. We ran our May races already, and I should end up the highest finisher for both GT and F1 for Mini-AZ in Season 7. Woo Hoo..
Old 2009.05.03, 06:47 PM   #6
ocean rodeo

That is great advice...I would say 52/10 is a better start. What are your motor temps with that 54? How big is your basement track? Can you post a video of your runs? That will help determine your dilemma?

Last edited by arch2b; 2009.05.15 at 10:31 PM.
Old 2009.05.03, 06:50 PM   #7
soulstice

The fast setup for DC is . . . . awesome driving. The skill demonstrated by the top guys is really impressive. Really clean driving, with good lines week in and week out.

I know these guys have put in a lot of practice and it shows. I don't get much practice time at all . . . and it definitely shows.

Although I'm not in the same league as some of our top guys I just wanted to share my setup, mainly to show that you don't need a crazy setup. I manage to do 85-88 laps with a near stock setup. I will say that I think batteries really make a noticeable difference once your driving improves. That'll be my next investment.

-stock asf board
- -1 toe
-0 degree camber
-stock king pins (polished)
-yellow front springs
-Kyosho stock side plates
-kyosho stock mount
-red side springs
-stock diff
-ceramic bearings
-standard 8t or 9t pinon depending on the track
-Eneloop batteries
-Kyosho 30 front tires
-Kyosho 20 rear tires
Old 2009.05.03, 06:55 PM   #8
ocean rodeo

You have the most important thing. ASF.
Old 2009.05.03, 06:59 PM   #9
soulstice

At least 2-3 guys run AM boards so ASF is not necessary. These are guys that are doing more laps than I am.

It's silly but one of the main reasons I run ASF aside from the lack of glitches is I hate seeing an antenna. Love the scale looks of Mini-z and the antenna just kills it for me.
Old 2009.05.03, 07:14 PM   #10
Hood
Corvette Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean rodeo View Post
First off your a Jerk. Secondly I would say 52/10 is a better start. What are your motor temps with that 54? How big is your basement track? Can you post a video of your runs? That will help determine your dilemma?
...Our track is not in the basement, nor does the track stay the same, nor does my gearing. HFAY has several different track layouts, and how can you advise me on a gear ratio when you don't even know how big the tracks are?

Vaz and Soulstice,

Thanks for the setup info. I do know what great driving can do, as we watch Brad kick our butts on a regular basis. With the top 5 cars currently, I was hoping you had a secret that you would share..

Dusty and I ran very fast in one direction for May, and we have had some 4 car mains that don't help with the openwheel. I was hoping to be in the top 5 again, but you guys have done a great job keeping everyone else out..

Why the name changes on HFAY? Can you give us a code so we know whom is whom? I know Ed, but the rest are mysteries.

Last edited by arch2b; 2009.05.15 at 10:32 PM.
Old 2009.05.03, 07:41 PM   #11
ocean rodeo

...Soul- ASF boards are far superior with response than AM so it is a advantage, I'm not saying that it will make you drive better but it helps, granted you don't crash. I agree with scale looks as well

Last edited by arch2b; 2009.05.15 at 10:33 PM.
Old 2009.05.03, 08:28 PM   #12
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

I would let this one die...it was an odd choice of words to describe Hood's setup (he has been around Zs for a long time). It's also counter to the intent of the thread, which was obviously to get information out there, not to criticize individuals' settings (which only serves to obscure information).

The name switch was so Arch could keep track of drivers/tags better (we've been getting larger groups of late) and keep the tags stored rather than scanning every race day. A quick rundown of the drivers I can remember at the moment:

Matt: VAzRACER
Jeremy: TALLGEESE
Ed: imxlr8ed
Bill: TheRinger
Ryan: Ccson
Sun: soulstice
Raymond: arch2b
Ian: soyverde
Mike: MKeely
Igor: Skv012a

Don't know why I'm even listed in F1 as I've been sitting this season out (ran as filler for one race). Aside from the lack of springs, the other part of Matt's F1 setup I found interesting was the steering speed used on his radio (hope I don't bother anyone by posting this, but I've found it extremely useful). Not sure his exact settings but I currently have my turn set to 60, return at 100 (on a Helios). It made a world of difference for me, though I'm still looking forward to an ASF switch before I start really enjoying the chassis again.
soyverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.05.03, 08:37 PM   #13
Hood
Corvette Killer

...You are both gearing a little lower than I am, so I might try an 11 next time I practice. Telling me that, instead of being obsure would have been helpful. But, it is better to get the info from people you trust and know from their experience.

I don't think I could try the no side springs without a rear shock mount fabrication.. I might have to try that too..

I was also thinking about trying the Atomic Dampner to try to get better results. Always looking for a better way of doing things.

Thanks again, and lets keep the setups coming.

Hood

Last edited by arch2b; 2009.05.15 at 10:34 PM.
Old 2009.05.03, 08:40 PM   #14
Hood
Corvette Killer

I also enjoy playing with the speed settings on my Helios. I think I was around 45/65 on the last track.. Very nice tuning tool..

Thanks for the name rundown..

Vaz is the man to beat.. I think he has won all but one race this season, it is nice to know that it was not on a stacked board.
Old 2009.05.03, 09:07 PM   #15
soulstice

+1 on the helio controls. I have mine set to 60 as well. I think that has helped me a lot.