Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2009.08.24, 11:11 PM   #1
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Lightbulb My first Mini-z buildup - MR-02 Enzo

I am completely new to Mini-z's, and have never seriously raced RC cars before. Since I have played with RC cars for years, and love to tinker; I figured this thread would be a fun way to show the car as it evolves into a stock racer.

This car was bought used, and my first run showed that the car works just fine. I am not entirely happy with the antenna, and plan on changing that so that it is a little better in form and function.

Note that the car didn't come with the stock rear shock; it did come with a carbon H-plate though. I am not worried about this right now, but I am going to want to get one of these before too long.

JeremyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.24, 11:12 PM   #2
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

More pictures

Old 2009.08.25, 12:24 AM   #3
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
Looks like its in good shape... I would keep the antenna that is on it, should be better than most others you could switch it to.
Old 2009.08.25, 01:27 AM   #4
herman

congratulations.... you are now a proud new owner of a grand spanking red enzo ferrari...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.26, 09:42 AM   #5
bermbuster
GF Racing

nice looking ride.....
now you really only need tires and tire tape to start racing.
Kyosho 20s in the rear and Kyosho 30s in the front.

Using the stock mm mount will limit your choices right now for top shock/damper plates....look at the big picture before you buy. You maybe buying some parts twice.....Look at some of the racers set ups before you decide on what and how.....
bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.26, 12:33 PM   #6
bigmike17
Coyote Stealth

Sweet looking car for a first effort. Have fun racing.
bigmike17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009.08.26, 03:02 PM   #7
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Last night I headed up to NYRC and had a lot of fun. Before I even put the car on the track I grabbed some tires. Willy picked these out for me, and they felt really good, and I didn't have any traction problems.

I did a couple runs on the stock bushings, but I had my eye on some bearings. I grabbed those and installed them at about 9:30. The car was noticeably quicker, and everything seems much tighter. With the bushings the rear axle was quite loose, and when I reversed I think the gears were slipping a bit. With the bearings it is nice and tight with no slip.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (45.8 KB, 448 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4777.JPG (93.2 KB, 442 views)
Old 2009.08.26, 03:11 PM   #8
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMU View Post
Looks like its in good shape... I would keep the antenna that is on it, should be better than most others you could switch it to.
The antenna performed quite well at the track; I didn't have any glitching problems unless the batteries in my car were very low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herman View Post
congratulations.... you are now a proud new owner of a grand spanking red enzo ferrari...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike17 View Post
Sweet looking car for a first effort. Have fun racing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermbuster View Post
nice looking ride.....
now you really only need tires and tire tape to start racing.
Kyosho 20s in the rear and Kyosho 30s in the front.

Using the stock mm mount will limit your choices right now for top shock/damper plates....look at the big picture before you buy. You maybe buying some parts twice.....Look at some of the racers set ups before you decide on what and how.....
Tire tape.. I just stuck those Atomic's on there. After running all night the tires hadn't shifted too much. I'll need to get some though.

I'm not entirely sure what to do for a damper. I ran the car all night with just the odd H-Plate (see previous images), and it ran ok. Willy at NYRC said that the plate was stiff enough that I could run it that way. In practice the car felt pretty good on course, so I'm inclined to run it this way for a bit. When I figure out a good system I'll jump to it.
Old 2009.08.26, 08:58 PM   #9
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

King Pin smoothing

I took my kingpins out, and polished them. They actually fit into the chuck on my dremel, and I used a very non-abrasive metal polish. After about a minute on the slowest speed setting the king pin looked pretty good.

Left is before, right is after.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4774.JPG (92.8 KB, 427 views)
Old 2009.08.26, 09:18 PM   #10
bermbuster
GF Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysiptera View Post
Tire tape.. I just stuck those Atomic's on there. After running all night the tires hadn't shifted too much. I'll need to get some though.
in the beginning you drive slower and the tires stay on the rims.....
once your tires start scrubbing they either fly off or fly in causing your car to act weird....
using tape is a given unless you use glue.....
Old 2009.08.26, 09:34 PM   #11
Scrapper
Stu

Send a message via MSN to Scrapper
that car looked good for pretty much box stock yesterday
Old 2009.08.26, 10:17 PM   #12
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

I noticed that the inside rear tire was spinning frequently coming out of turns. I saw some posts about putting some grease in the diff to stiffen it up. Now when I spin the diff by hand it feels a lot less 'free spinning'. The only thing I was watching out for was the diff being too stiff and causing the rear to slide; which didn't happen on the hardwood so I think on RCP it'll be just fine.

Quote:
in the beginning you drive slower and the tires stay on the rims.....
once your tires start scrubbing they either fly off or fly in causing your car to act weird....
using tape is a given unless you use glue.....
If that is the case I hope my wheels start flying off sooner rather than later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugottz View Post
that car looked good for pretty much box stock yesterday
When I got lucky and strung some turns together the car scooted.. If only there weren't any walls to hit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4771.JPG (95.7 KB, 425 views)
Old 2009.09.08, 07:14 AM   #13
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Well I have done a lot with the car that I haven't mentioned, so here we go:
  • Changed the bump stop from 5.0 to 4.5, the 4.0's seemed like they might rub
  • Removed a burr from the left end of the axle shaft. This burr caused the left drive wheel to go on slightly crooked, and when spinning the wheel would vibrate
  • Superglued the window glass in... twice.
  • Removed Wiper blade from body
  • Got a set of Orion 900's
  • Took the KT-2 apart and regreased the throttle(much smoother now), and softened the spring for the steering wheel(it was *really* tight before)
  • Disassembled the stock motor, cleaned, put back together. Mostly did this to learn about motors.

I also cleaned the steering servo for the first time. I didn't have any trouble taking it apart and putting it back together, but fitting the wires back into the chassis is a pain. Getting it all to sit just right was my challenge, and I even broke a solder joint to the servo motor wire. That was annoying, but quickly fixed with the soldering iron.

Before:

After:

Covering holes in the pot:

Oh yah, also got another set of crystals:

After having the car for some time I have realized that I have to disassemble, clean, and reassemble this thing a lot. These cars are so small that it is just really important.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4860.JPG (140.5 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4863.JPG (141.7 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4862.JPG (129.6 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4866.JPG (149.4 KB, 388 views)
Old 2009.09.12, 11:25 PM   #14
bermbuster
GF Racing

so far are you satisfied with your mini z ???
Old 2009.09.13, 12:22 AM   #15
JeremyC
MR-02 for life

Quote:
so far are you satisfied with your mini z ???
In short, yes, I am very happy with the car.

I've done a few more things with the car that I aren't in the thread yet.. Need to take some photos and put them up.
  • PN LCG Motor mount
  • Atomic disk damper
  • 70 turn motor, I believe it is the PN Stock, but it doesn't have markings on it.
  • Got an atomic FRP H-plate set, running medium
  • Lowered the body clips ~1mm to raise the body, to compensate for the lowered ride height from the motor mount
  • Made a pretty good size wing out of clear plastic.

I ran the car at NYRC today, and it is starting to run pretty well. The car itself is handling very well, and my skills driving it are getting better. Today was the first time it felt like I was really running with the other cars, rather than just getting passed

The wing made a really big difference in stability; it was a dramatic change in how the car ran.

The Atomic 30 front tires seem to be letting go (after 3 days at the track). The last 30 minutes or so the car was pushing a lot more than it had been; not sure if I want to replace them with 30s again or try 40s.