Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.03.09, 02:50 PM   #1
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Talking Formula 1 Championship 2010

I guess there are more people than me who are exited about the 2010 season starting up this weekend.

New rules.
Tire only pit stops.
Slimmer front tires
Ultra light qualifying Q3 (No more fuel burning laps)
New points system. 25-18-15-12-10-8-6-4-2-1

New teams:
Virgin Racing (a collaboration between Manor, Wirth Research and Richard Branson's group), the Malaysian-backed return of Lotus, and Spanish squad Hispania.

New drivers:
Nico Hulkenberg, Vitaly Petrov, Karun Chandhok, Bruno Senna and Lucas di Grassi all step up from GP2, and Kamui Kobayashi also with a full season deal.
Michael Schumacher comeback after four years away. Pedro de la Rosa back with Sauber, after eight seasons from his last full season.

It looks to be a lot of really competitive teams this season.
Red Bull, McLaren & Ferrari seems very fast in testing. Mercedes GP and Williams also look really good. Sauber is back, and have high hopes with its always light footed cars.

Mercedes GP, and Schumi's comeback is one thing i am really looking forward for. How well will he do, and will Rosberg match him?

Alonso and Massa in Ferrari. Who will come out on top?

Button and Hamilton in McLaren also looks to be a great fight.

Webber and Vettel in Red Bull. Will Webber gain ground since the weight limit has been slightly increased?

Lada backed Renault How well will Kubica do this year?

Mini-Z Norway

Last edited by Rune; 2010.03.09 at 02:54 PM.
Rune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.09, 03:42 PM   #2
Programmers
iTomCash

Yeah, looks like an amazing season. I'm really looking forward to it! Especially as we now have BBC1 in HD!

Provided his Ferrari is running well, I think Alonso will take this years title... He is an amazing driver, regardless to his personality.

I don't know what to think of Schumacher's return... Under RB's management it could be a repeat of the past, but maybe he's past it?... Only time will tell.

I also think Hamilton will p*** all over Button - his driving is far superior.

SO can't wait!
Programmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.09, 03:58 PM   #3
ocean rodeo

Yeah and Kimi traded asphalt for dirt and it looks like he is not doing so well. The WRC is kicking his arse. My vote goes for Mclaren this year. Lewis and Jenson will be a great team. I am also stoked of Lotus's return. Schumacher is the Brett Farve of F1.
ocean rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.09, 05:08 PM   #4
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Lotus return is great, but it does look really bad them and theother new teams.
The various reports says 4 - 10 seconds off pace. That is actually dangerous. Hopefully everyone will be up to speed after a few races.

If Ferrari has a good car, my bet are also on Alonso, but Massa has surprised us before.

I think Mercedes and Schumi can make an impression after a few races. They will come out with a big update in Bahrain that they say is good for 0.8 seconds. New diffusor etc.

Mclaren had really good development last year, so they seem to have a good base to work from.

I am really exited to see how things look in Bahrain qualifying. With no fuel stops, the tire wear is more important than in many years (1993 I think it was the last season without)

Mini-Z Norway
Old 2010.03.09, 07:22 PM   #5
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

The really funny thing is i just logged on to start this exact thread! My thanks to Rune for being so thourough in his starting discussion points to the season:

Some thoughts about McLaren: it appears they are slightly worried about the legality of their new rear wing package. the shape of it takes advantage of air coming off the intake box and channels it to acheive possibly more downforce than everyone else. They have a backup if the stewards (Charlie Whiting) feel it does not conform to spec.

While following testing it I was able to deduce that the top teams are very close this year with RedBull maybe having the fastest package. Its hard to really translate testing (at easy spanish tracks) to actual raceday but look for a drivers championship to be between 5 drivers ( I've got my picks for the F1 drivers pool amongnt my friends)

I, like Rune, am really looking forward to Schumacher's return. It has always been my view that Schumi retiring left a huge hole in characterful drivers....love him or hate you had to resect his skill and team loyalty. Hopefully the new Mercedes team can make great use of the Brawn/Schumi mystique and deliver some great race wins!

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.09, 07:28 PM   #6
ocean rodeo

I can't wait until next week! Between F1, WRC and V8 I am a happy camper. I am planning my vacation right now to go to San Paulo for my first ever Formula 1 race. Can't wait until November
ocean rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.09, 08:27 PM   #7
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
This is going to be a very interesting season... I hope that its not only two teams running at the front like it was last year.
Old 2010.03.10, 03:19 AM   #8
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean rodeo View Post
I can't wait until next week! Between F1, WRC and V8 I am a happy camper. I am planning my vacation right now to go to San Paulo for my first ever Formula 1 race. Can't wait until November
You will not be dissapointed!
To see an F1 race live is a really incredible feeling.
I have just been to one race myself, 2002 Belgian GP at Spa. It was absolutely fantastic. We did not have the best seats (ok but not the best), and the weather was cold, but the sound from the cars, atmosphere at the track, to see the cars up close, touch them, walk the track after the race etc was worth everything.

I hope I get the chance this year also.

PS: Bring some good ear protection The sound really can destroy your hearing.

Mini-Z Norway
Old 2010.03.11, 12:26 PM   #9
leonen
Scuderia Leone Racing

Send a message via MSN to leonen
Besides the sour felling we still have, because of the irresponsible and fraudulent scandal of USF1 and having lost the F1 grid spot for Pechito, our local driver, I think it will really be amazing.

Can't wait to have 5 or 6 guys battling for pole, and on track. Let's hope the old pit stops strategy race, like the one's that Schumy exploted so well, stay in the history books and we have on track duels, like in REAL car racing, beyond technology.

Really disappointing the lack of pace the newer teams have. really dramatic. Perhaps the old 107% rule should make a comeback too ?

We'll see what tomorrow brings when they all go out on track.
Http://www.ScuderiaLeoneRacing com.ar/
leonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.11, 09:49 PM   #10
herman

can't wait for this myself... just two days to go... tom is qualifying...
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.12, 07:22 AM   #11
hrdrvr
MBMZR

I recorded practice this morning. Ill have the qualifying and race set up on the DVR just i n cse I miss 'em. Im reallyl ooking forward to this year!

Does any one have any information about what went down with USF1? I tried googling it, but just came up with a bunch of stuff that was said by Lopez's manager. Never really got the full story of what happened, or is happening to them.

LET's Go Racing!
hrdrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.12, 08:51 AM   #12
soyverde
Hack Job Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdrvr View Post
I recorded practice this morning. Ill have the qualifying and race set up on the DVR just i n cse I miss 'em. Im reallyl ooking forward to this year!

Does any one have any information about what went down with USF1? I tried googling it, but just came up with a bunch of stuff that was said by Lopez's manager. Never really got the full story of what happened, or is happening to them.
Long story short (according to them): Their sponsors didn't come through, and they ran out of time due to the lack of funding. Last I'd heard they'd applied for a deferred spot in 2011 and have been denied, pretty well ending any chance they had of resurrecting the team. It's a shame that spot didn't go to one of the better equipped/organized teams like prodrive or even StephanGP (who probably would have gotten in by now had they been slightly more diplomatic about the situation).

@Leonen: I think you'll find that most fans of F1 in the US aren't too impressed with the way that was handled either. Hopefully he will get another shot. I'm not that bothered about having a US F1 team, but I'd love for us to get a US race again...preferably one that isn't in Indianapolis.

@Programmers: I agree that Hamilton is the better driver, but if I remember correctly, he hasn't always been the best at taking care of his tires (or even his tyres ). I'll be surprised if Hamilton qualifies worse than Button at any point this year, though (outside of freak occurrences).
soyverde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.12, 07:12 PM   #13
Rune
Mini-Z Norway

The first practice sessions over. I had recorded them since it went down when i was at work.

It is still extremely hard to work out what team that has the upper hand.

Alonso really impresses during long runs. Very stable lap times etc.
Schumacher seems reasonably fast, but he states that he doesnt yet have the speed for one hotlap. He is satisfied with the longer runs.
Rosberg is really fast on one lap, and seems good also in the longer runs. The MGP team will offer some great battles within the team I think.
Button are actually the one in McLaren that struggles to get the tires to last. Surprising. They seem quite equal in the longer runs.
Hulkenberg really impresses in his first outing. I think rubens will have a hard time matching him, but we will see tomorrow.
Renault( Lada), are faster than expected.
Sauber really good in long runs.

Hispania are 11,5 seconds off pace
Lotus some 5seconds.
Virgin 6,5 seconds off pace.

Hopefully these will up the pace tomorrow, if not please bring back the 107% rule.

McLaren knee operated rear wing stall system is much debated. A lot of the other teams are angry that this was approved. I dont think we have heared the last of it yet.
I see that MGP have placed a snorkle like this kind on the side of Rosberg's car, although i cant understand how it will work when they dont have the shark fin all the way back to the rear wing.
(here is a link to an explanation of the system)
Click here

Now. Bring on the qualifying

Edit: As for info regarding USF1 there are a lot of good (and bad) info here: Click here

Mini-Z Norway

Last edited by Rune; 2010.03.12 at 07:16 PM.
Old 2010.03.14, 12:15 PM   #14
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Taped the race and I'm at half distance:

1.thought I was watching a slomo repeat of the start the full fuel start is painfully slow

2. Tire changes only means no fuel disparity on track and it makes for boring mid race action

3. Will the end race be interesting with low fuel and power differentials?

4. I've bet 2 cars run out of fuel.

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.03.14, 12:45 PM   #15
addicted

fantastic race, just a bit unfortunate for Vettel, but nevertheless a good race, and can't wait for the rest of the season
addicted is offline   Reply With Quote