Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2010.11.17, 05:37 PM   #1
Bodom

Tire choice for low traction surface

The problem is very loose rear-end and easy oversteer.
The car's setup now is 90mm RM Alfa Brera body.
The front suspension is stock (I have Kyosho option spring set).
The rear suspension uses stock T-plate and Kyosho oil-shock or Atomic DDS (I tried both).
The surface is granite blocks floor:

(sample image to see the floor surface)

The tire choice I have at hand is:
Front (narrow) -
Autoscale slicks (old and not used much);
Atomic A.W. Groove Tyre - 10 Degree (almost new);
3Racing V pattern 10 degree (old and used);

Rear -
Kyosho high grip MT radial tire 10 degree (semi-wide) (old and very used, almost worn out);
Atomic 050 V Pattern Tire Wide 10 Degree (almost new);
Atomic A.W. Groove Tyre - 10 Degree (Wide) (almost new);

The most stable combination I found is 3Racing front and Kyosho MT radial back Strange to me the Atomic tires produced less grip.
I tried very soft and very hard front setup - and nothing changed. Tried top oil shock only and DDS only back setup - still nothing changed.

Should I try higher degree Atomic front tire? Or try another brand rear tires?
Or buy new set of Kyosho MT radials - which I think might hold with the front tires I have?

Your advice?

Thanks
Old 2010.11.17, 06:45 PM   #2
dvsstrike
The name is Tim

That is going to be a tough one. IN reality you are trying to drive your car on ice. No matter what type of tire youare going to use you will always have a hard time to find something that sticks. Temperature is your enemy on this your tires will always cool down as the car rolls as the granite absorbs the heat. That is why it is always cool to the touch no matter where you step. If you can spill soda and spread it to get tacky, that is the only way to get traction. If I spilled soda on my floor the wife would kill me. The best bet is just to get a rcp or and atomic track to run on.
dvsstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.17, 07:16 PM   #3
doug01n

Send a message via MSN to doug01n
I think dust is your worst enemy on this floor... worst then cooling tires. Try to give a nice clean with alcohool, removing all the dust. It will add some traction, specially on slicks. A tire too much soft grabs all the micro dust on the floor, making a "thin film" that reduces the grip in seconds. Try harder tires, or any combination of them. It may be very surprising sometimes!
doug01n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.17, 08:46 PM   #4
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
As doug01n said, dust is the enemy with a surface like that. Try a radial/treaded tire. It tends to work better. Dust sticks to softer tires, as stated above. If you can get some foam tires, they may be the best option. They tend to pick up less dust, and given the smooth surface you plan to run on, they should last a while.

If you want to get serious about the hobby, I would recommend looking into buying or making a track.
Old 2010.11.18, 02:12 AM   #5
Bodom

Thanks for the replies.
I know that dust reduces the traction a lot. With clean tires the traction is high but it don't last long But some of my tires even with dust on them grip more than others.
The explanation seems to be this
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug01n
A tire too much soft grabs all the micro dust on the floor, making a "thin film" that reduces the grip in seconds. Try harder tires, or any combination of them. It may be very surprising sometimes!
I know that a real track is the way to go, but for now there is no space at home for a track, and there is no other place to go for now.
I hope this will change.
Old 2010.11.18, 04:31 AM   #6
color01

Foams. With plenty of traction compound.

Greyscale RC

PN Racing | My TinyRC Blog
color01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010.11.18, 11:54 AM   #7
Eman

Maybe mop and wax before running?
Old 2010.11.19, 01:59 AM   #8
Bodom

I don't know where to buy foams from. The online stores I buy from don't have such tires.
Yeah mopping is a good thing before running, but I didn't have the time usually.
I'll try to be more pedantic next time.