Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts

Go Back   Mini-ZRacer.com Forums > Manufacturers > I-Lap

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2013.01.14, 08:42 PM   #1
Felix2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 982
*NEW 2013* Updated I-Lap Transponder for Mini-Z coming soon!

Hello everyone,

I have been informed by Craig at I-Lap RC lap counter systems that there is an updated Mini-Z transponder in the works!

Info as of January 10, 2013 is that prototype testing will be underway within a few weeks. The size of the new transponder comes out to half the size of the current I-Lap transponder and the ICS lead is soldered directly on to save as much space as possible. Thickness will be same as current. (See attachment for pic. Original transponders depicted in color; Bottom-Left is prototype sketch)

Each I-Lap transponder has a unique ID number. An unlimited number of vehicles can be on the track at once.

Anyone who shied-away from the I-Lap lap counter system in the past because of the size of the transponders should definitely check this out!

I have been using I-Lap lap counter equipment for a couple years now and it is rock-solid. Not only that, but there are MANY choices for lap counting software.

Software compatible with I-LapRC:

RC Scoring Pro
Laps Free
ZRound
Flipside Racing (Windows, Mac, and Linux)
PClapcounter
JLap Race Manager
Slyfox
RCM (R/C and Rental Kart)
Autoscore


For anyone interested please send Craig an email through I-Lap's website www. rclapcounter.com .

THANK YOU CRAIG FOR SUPPORTING MINI-Z RACING!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (54.9 KB, 46 views)
__________________
*** TOP SECRET MOTORS ***
[FONT="Book Antiqua"]
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 07:03 PM   #2
ChiMiniRc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 724
I'd like to follow up and let you know we had the chance to run these new transponders at our last race. They came in about half the weight of the original (even lighter than the giro-z as well I believe).

One racer had replaced his tires mid-race and was traction rolling on the new set. After replacing his transponder with the smaller unit, it stopped. To be fair, we'll all scratching our heads if 1.0 to 1.5 grams less weight on the top of the chassis could make this much of a difference but it was worth stating either way. This racer runs the less common Corvette body but if a lower center a gravity is king... this would make difference.


Any mathematicians care to take a crack at the effects of removing 1.5 grams from a 180g car from the top?
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 07:22 PM   #3
blt456
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
I'd like to follow up and let you know we had the chance to run these new transponders at our last race. They came in about half the weight of the original (even lighter than the giro-z as well I believe).

One racer had replaced his tires mid-race and was traction rolling on the new set. After replacing his transponder with the smaller unit, it stopped. To be fair, we'll all scratching our heads if 1.0 to 1.5 grams less weight on the top of the chassis could make this much of a difference but it was worth stating either way. This racer runs the less common Corvette body but if a lower center a gravity is king... this would make difference.


Any mathematicians care to take a crack at the effects of removing 1.5 grams from a 180g car from the top?
I doubt that the new transponder is what stopped the traction rolling. The racer's tires probably weren't broken in when the old transponder was used. The 1.5g savings is only .83% of the total car's mass.

However, the new transponder looks significantly smaller than the previous version, which is a good thing!
blt456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 07:47 PM   #4
Felix2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMiniRc View Post
I'd like to follow up and let you know we had the chance to run these new transponders at our last race. They came in about half the weight of the original (even lighter than the giro-z as well I believe).

One racer had replaced his tires mid-race and was traction rolling on the new set. After replacing his transponder with the smaller unit, it stopped. To be fair, we'll all scratching our heads if 1.0 to 1.5 grams less weight on the top of the chassis could make this much of a difference but it was worth stating either way. This racer runs the less common Corvette body but if a lower center a gravity is king... this would make difference.


Any mathematicians care to take a crack at the effects of removing 1.5 grams from a 180g car from the top?
Thank you for posting the news about the new ILap transponders! They sound perfect and I want to say thanks to Craig @ ILap for doing this for us Mini-Z guys, we are very small group but we appreciate you taking things to the next level which will aid Mini-Z a lot.

1.5 grams on top of the chassis is a lot. I'd say if the car was just traction rolling barely, IMHO removing that weight definitely could've made the car swing left/right. Adding 1.5 grams lead weight to the bottom/inside chassis can change the COG enough to make it worth the while doing, and a lot of racers add weight to the inside/bot chassis. It can be change enough for the Expert class racer.

ChiMiniRc - Do you have info on when these transponders will be availble for sale? Thank you again for the info
__________________
*** TOP SECRET MOTORS ***
[FONT="Book Antiqua"]
Felix2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.01.28, 10:04 PM   #5
I-Lap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 99
Here's a picture of a standard Mini-Z, micro, and Giro transponder.




This small batch of 15 was hand made to test the concept. Of these 11 are still available and I can have another 10 together in about a week to source a few bits and solder them up. Cost is $40 each and limit 2 per person. Email for details(no PM please)
They'll ship with shrink covering which can be removed if desired.

Once these are gone, depending on demand, they will either go into production and stay at $40, or will continue to be hand assembled and sell for $46.
If they make it into production, they'll be slightly smaller as well.

I don't know what the demand will be for these as the standard size works fine in almost all situations and Mini-Z is already a very small percentage versus the normal transponder for larger scales.
They do however fit most dNaNo models nicely.

Please respond with comments, feedback and suggestions.

-Craig

.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTs.jpg (28.4 KB, 222 views)
__________________
I-Lap Timing Systems
Precision Timing for Small Scale Motorsports
www.rclapcounter.com
I-Lap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.04, 02:39 PM   #6
ChiMiniRc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 724
Can we can a laser installed with a beam splitter that projects your race status on the track next to the car? But no bigger than the original I-lap transponder please . I kid. I was surprised to find out you hand soldered those together! I think a FET replacement is a PITA. I can't imagine building up a transponder like that from a board with only traces on it.
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.24, 10:41 PM   #7
chad508
PN Racing Team Driver
 
chad508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 1,700
just wanted to give my 2 cent review. i ordered one and got it a couple days later. we do not use ilap at my home track but we do use them at another track we frequent on a regular basis. the transponder worked perfectly and the best part was it fit under all my bodies with out the hassle of moving it around to clear body and suspension. i highly recommend the newer transponder to anyone that run bodies with limited space in the cab.
__________________
PN Racing
R1Wurks
LET's Go Racing
MBMZR
DG Designs
chad508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.02.25, 10:34 PM   #8
ChiMiniRc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix2010 View Post

ChiMiniRc - Do you have info on when these transponders will be availble for sale? Thank you again for the info
They're available now. Have you got yours yet Felix2010?
ChiMiniRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.05, 09:31 PM   #9
Ancient Artist
Registered User
 
Ancient Artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Lap View Post
Here's a picture of a standard Mini-Z, micro, and Giro transponder.




This small batch of 15 was hand made to test the concept. Of these 11 are still available and I can have another 10 together in about a week to source a few bits and solder them up. Cost is $40 each and limit 2 per person. Email for details(no PM please)
They'll ship with shrink covering which can be removed if desired.

Once these are gone, depending on demand, they will either go into production and stay at $40, or will continue to be hand assembled and sell for $46.
If they make it into production, they'll be slightly smaller as well.

I don't know what the demand will be for these as the standard size works fine in almost all situations and Mini-Z is already a very small percentage versus the normal transponder for larger scales.
They do however fit most dNaNo models nicely.

Please respond with comments, feedback and suggestions.

-Craig

.

Did these smaller ones ever make it into production and become readily available?
I'm curious if those are the ones available for purchase directly from the site at $37 because I would like to get the smaller ones if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
__________________
Ancient Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.05, 09:57 PM   #10
arch2b
Moderator
 
arch2b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 32,723
Send a message via AIM to arch2b
our club has been using these for awhile now and they really come in handy being much smaller.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.05, 10:19 PM   #11
Ancient Artist
Registered User
 
Ancient Artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by arch2b View Post
our club has been using these for awhile now and they really come in handy being much smaller.
Good to know it's worth the effort to be patient and hopefully chase a few down if they are available.
Really hoping it wasn't a limited run.

Thanks!
__________________
Ancient Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.06, 09:47 AM   #12
arch2b
Moderator
 
arch2b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 32,723
Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Caution: for sports series be sure to order ring terminal leads or if the option exists, with these vs ics port plug. Cannot use ics port plug on sports series.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.06, 10:14 AM   #13
mleemor60
Curmudgeon & Moderator
 
mleemor60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kannapolis, NC
Posts: 2,421
We have them in stock at our LHS.
mleemor60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.06, 12:01 PM   #14
I-Lap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NW Chicago Burbs
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient Artist View Post
Did these smaller ones ever make it into production and become readily available?
I'm curious if those are the ones available for purchase directly from the site at $37 because I would like to get the smaller ones if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Yes, they are available, but our website is in sore need of an update.
The production units are actually slightly smaller and thinner than the prototypes pictured here. They even fit Dnano.

The micro units are $40 each and include the harness soldered on, same price as the old Mini-Z unit with separate harness.

Until the site is updated, simply order the Mini-Z units and harnesses and put in the order notes you want the micro units. If no notes are left, we would ask anyway.

Thanks,
Craig


Thanks,
Craig
__________________
I-Lap Timing Systems
Precision Timing for Small Scale Motorsports
www.rclapcounter.com
I-Lap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.11.07, 11:37 PM   #15
Ancient Artist
Registered User
 
Ancient Artist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Midwest
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Lap View Post
Yes, they are available, but our website is in sore need of an update.
The production units are actually slightly smaller and thinner than the prototypes pictured here. They even fit Dnano.

The micro units are $40 each and include the harness soldered on, same price as the old Mini-Z unit with separate harness.

Until the site is updated, simply order the Mini-Z units and harnesses and put in the order notes you want the micro units. If no notes are left, we would ask anyway.

Thanks,
Craig


Thanks,
Craig

Thanks Craig. That's awesome. I really appreciate you hopping on and getting back to me so quickly and everyone else for passing along that info. I'll put in order in this week.
__________________
Ancient Artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
*NEW 2013* Updated I-Lap Transponder for Mini-Z coming soon! Felix2010 New Products 4 2013.01.16 02:19 PM
Free lap counter coming russp Lap Timing Systems and Software 10 2008.10.10 08:33 AM
New nextgen I-Lap lap counter. wcrotty Lap Timing Systems and Software 33 2007.10.10 11:21 AM
Lap Timing Using the Microsizer Timer bemoore How Fast Are You? Online Points Series 2 2007.09.14 01:57 PM
For Sale: Laser Lap Counter - High Quality Goosebag Miscellaneous Discussion 9 2006.02.14 06:10 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 Mini-ZRacer.com
Mini Inferno Sale - Up to $85 Instant Savings!
Micro-T Hop-Ups
RC18R, M18, Micro RS4, Mini-LST, TamTech-Gear, Minizilla, RC18T, RC18B, RC18MT
shop.tinyrc.com Products

more»
Tiny RC Community News
[03/22/17] MZR was on vacation, didn't... : All kidding aside, the host experienced a bit of a server meltdown last week and efforts to restore the site to a new server took longer than anticipated. The current server is temporary until - more»
[11/25/15] Did You Hear? Our Black... : Hey Racers,
We're getting started a bit early with our Black Friday sale this year.  Generally we're not supporters of retailers opening early on Thanksgiving, but in our case, we're - more»
[06/30/15] shop.tinyrc.com: Have You... : Hey All! Just a quick reminder to everyone that we post all of our shop.tinyrc.com Newletters here on the MZR Forum. If for some reason you miss them in your email inbox, you can always see the - more»
Mini-Z, Mini-Z Racer, MR-02, MA-010
M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
Mini Inferno, Mini Inferno ST, half EIGHT, 1/16, 16th scale
Epoch, Indoor Racer, 1/43, 43rd scale
E-Savage, eSavage, eZilla, e-Zilla, HPI
Robots, Bots, Bipeds, Wheeled, Manoi, Roomba, NXT, Lego, Hacking
Crawling, Crawlers, Micro, RC, Losi Mini-Rock Crawler, Duratrax Cliff Climber
Kyosho Minium, Caliber 120, Minium Forums
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, Mini Inferno Hop-Ups, Mini Inferno Parts, M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts