Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2013.03.18, 11:21 PM   #1
TheSteve
VE7FM

HM, 90mm, tall body - you gotta try it!

A few of us locally decided it would be fun to running something a little different. Right now we're running the HM motor mount, Kyosho stock motor, 6 tooth pinion, 90mm wheelbase and narrow config(including narrow rear tires). We are running the tires that are included with the body, so 30 degree slicks front and rear. We do have bearings, ball diff, oil shock and carbon t-plate. I am running an Abarth body.

Driving fast is much tougher with this config then my souped up regular MR03 or AWD, its a good challenge class, especially fun on a tight track. If you're up for a challenge and want a car which forces you to be super smooth in the turns to be fast give it a go!

TheSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.19, 02:05 AM   #2
NoBrainer

Looks awesome.
Nice to see somebody racing other bodys to.
Old 2013.03.19, 02:50 AM   #3
trexflyer02

Have you tried the new Elise body?

I just built up a narrow spec RM MR03 and am probably going to use the Elise body as a "fun" car. Just need to buy a board and I'm set
trexflyer02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.19, 06:44 AM   #4
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
Remnant runs a 90mm class, albeit an open 90mm class. it's interesting to find you can get a beetle or cooper to challenge some mod class setup's fun to drive and fun to watch as well.

autoscales have historically come with different tires over time so that could be a mix bag unless you specify tires.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.19, 12:09 PM   #5
TheSteve
VE7FM

So far the only real oddity for me was when I taped the body to prevent rattle. The car would hop which caused oversteer and understeer. By removing the tape so the body can rattle around the car is much more stable.
The proper solution is likely to tape the body and then alter suspension/tires to get it working but so far the no tape approach yielded the fastest lap time.

I may also try other tires, I almost feel as though 40s might be better then 30s if I can have the car slide just a little but not so much its out of control. It would be nice to have a car you can push as hard as you want without worrying about traction rolling.
Old 2013.03.19, 12:39 PM   #6
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
ditch the tape and use sticky tack of whatever brand you choose. a very sliver will help keep the body on and hold it in position without squeezing it onto the chassis. it's worked well for the guys at remnant race track. it will still pop off if hit hard enough though. it's a good middle of the road option.

there are also options of custom body mounts that have added traction via holds to the numbs sticking off the end of the chassis.
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.19, 12:43 PM   #7
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
So far the only real oddity for me was when I taped the body to prevent rattle. The car would hop which caused oversteer and understeer. By removing the tape so the body can rattle around the car is much more stable.
The proper solution is likely to tape the body and then alter suspension/tires to get it working but so far the no tape approach yielded the fastest lap time.

I may also try other tires, I almost feel as though 40s might be better then 30s if I can have the car slide just a little but not so much its out of control. It would be nice to have a car you can push as hard as you want without worrying about traction rolling.
Want me to bring down the heat gun on Sunday? I've found that tall bodies can conform really easily with some carefully applied heat. No more tape to hold it in place....

You and Grant pretty close time wise with the HM setups? He had his pretty dialed at the last GTG...

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.19, 01:03 PM   #8
TheSteve
VE7FM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysir View Post
Want me to bring down the heat gun on Sunday? I've found that tall bodies can conform really easily with some carefully applied heat. No more tape to hold it in place....

You and Grant pretty close time wise with the HM setups? He had his pretty dialed at the last GTG...
I have a heat gun so I can give it a shot. The body has never come off, it just has a nice rattle to it.

My best lap so far is 1/10 of a second quicker on my home track then his Abarth. They are setup very similar though and behave about the same right now.
Old 2013.03.19, 03:31 PM   #9
Pierro

Hello!

In Belgium we have such a category.

Here's a pic of the last qualification at the race that was hold at our club:

Very fun class to race. Stock motor, bearings, oil shock and all stock for the rest.

My vitz (white with red stripe), was hella fast on our track and once you've found the good front tires, you can indeed go full attack even with such a narrow body.
Pierro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.19, 05:36 PM   #10
gctkaz

What I don't understand is how you and Grant could get any rear traction at all with the narrow rear tires.

Last time I tried it with my S15, I used Atomic 10* and still could neither accelerate nor turn without spinning out. I didn't have Kyosho tires available at the time, but just this week I finally installed the Atomic narrow 90mm MM so I can use wide rear tires. Just need to get a tie rod from Derek and it should be ready to go for the next meet.
gctkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.19, 06:38 PM   #11
TheSteve
VE7FM

I have no idea either, but it works!

On my other cars I'm running Kyosho 10 wide tires in the rear to get the grip I want.
Old 2013.03.19, 06:46 PM   #12
cowboysir
epic procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gctkaz View Post
What I don't understand is how you and Grant could get any rear traction at all with the narrow rear tires.

Last time I tried it with my S15, I used Atomic 10* .
There's your problem in a nutshell...Ryan and Dave's track is a very Kyosho friendly track for imbedded tire compound and Atomic rears suck mostly.

I can bring some narrow K20 if you need them Geoff.

I don't think my 911GT1 is a workable HM so I'll have to stick to that PN 90mm I have...

my custom body album...
http://mini-zracer.com/forums/album.php?albumid=192
cowboysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.19, 08:03 PM   #13
TheSteve
VE7FM

If you've run mainly silicone based tires(Atomic and PN I believe) on RCP then you'll find the Kyosho tires don't have anywhere near the grip. If you start running only Kyosho tires on RCP the grip level will come right up. I've pretty much decided I only want Kyosho tires on my RCP. Once the grip comes up you can run the harder tires and they last a long time. Kyosho doesn't use any silicone...
Old 2013.03.20, 02:39 PM   #14
gctkaz

Thanks for the offer, cowboy. I am already switching over all my tires to Kyosho rubber. I could use those narrow slicks for my AWD if you have some you could let go!
gctkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013.03.20, 04:25 PM   #15
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve View Post
If you've run mainly silicone based tires(Atomic and PN I believe) on RCP then you'll find the Kyosho tires don't have anywhere near the grip. If you start running only Kyosho tires on RCP the grip level will come right up. I've pretty much decided I only want Kyosho tires on my RCP. Once the grip comes up you can run the harder tires and they last a long time. Kyosho doesn't use any silicone...
Steve, just to let you know...i think PN tires are rubber. Atomic are more silicone.

DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote