Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2015.05.14, 10:17 PM   #46
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT
 
lfisminiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pa.
Posts: 5,027
Good point.
__________________
MINI-Z BODY NUT





DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.16, 12:18 PM   #47
DMALMAD
Registered User
 
DMALMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 588
Did not get to run it yesterday, I couldn't find any body posts long enough. maybe I will get to run it next week on oval

Edit:
On a side note, what are the best 03 aluminum knuckles? I broke one of the stock knuckles just playing with the steering during a bench test so it is pretty clear that the plastic ones are not going to hold up. I tried drilling out some dbl a-arm knuckles that were broken and I got the screw system to work but they are much longer and threw off the ride height and camber settings so I am thinking that some regular al knuckles would be the way to go.

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.05.16 at 06:46 PM.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.27, 07:28 PM   #48
DMALMAD
Registered User
 
DMALMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 588
Still have not been able to run it as I could not afford a new brushless motor (traded away my last one) but I will definetly be running it this friday. I used the Mini-z Comic racer body posts but I may rework the location of the body mounts. They are solid and the body is held on well but it just looks ugly. I have a reworked trishock mounting plate to run side springs connected directly to the pod so maybe I will work in a different location for the rear body posts. The fronts will most likely have to stay where they are as I do not really have anywhere else to put them. Also, for those of you who have run the reflex front end with the spring uderneath did you have problems with limmited travel? As it is right now the front of the chassis will not bottom out before the suspension, which is generaly a bad thing. It is pretty close but even still it bothers me. The suspension feels fine and seems to have enough droop and action it just bottoms out .15mm too soon. Anyhow I just thought I should throw up some pics and say that I will be running this on friday.





DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.27, 07:35 PM   #49
lfisminiz
MINI-Z BODY NUT
 
lfisminiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pa.
Posts: 5,027
Nice...keep us updated!
__________________
MINI-Z BODY NUT





DG DESIGNS - PN RACING - MANTISWORX
lfisminiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.27, 09:57 PM   #50
DMALMAD
Registered User
 
DMALMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 588
Yup. I think I fixed my issue with not enough suspension travel. It was not actually not enough travel, just that my front end actually was sitting too low on the chassis. I had about 1.2mm of shims under the knuckle to get ride height where I wanted (~2.3mm) so I just took those shims out, put about .5mm above the knuckle and .7 on each of the 4 screw ounting points of the front end and viola, I had the same exact ride height but the chassis was bottoming out like it should. The reason I wanted the chassis to bottom out is so that in the turns the chassis cg gets as low as possible, if the suspension restricts the chassis from getting low enough my cg will be raised and the front end will wash out and push. I think aside from the pivot ball/trishock rear end, the ability to raise and lower rideheight in the front like the 12th scales do and to be able to swap out the entire front end with 4 screws is the best feature of this design. In the future (when the funds are there) I will put together a couplle of front ends so that If I feel like I need to change the front end I can swap the entire thing instead of wasting time taking out e-clips and switching springs. Right now I just modeled some ride hieght spacers and will be getting them in with my next shapeways order as putting shims under each of the 4 screw points of the front end was a real hassle.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.30, 02:24 AM   #51
DMALMAD
Registered User
 
DMALMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 588
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-G...ew?usp=sharing

I had put off running the car long enough. So today I finallly ran it. And well I think the video will speak for itself but I will add a little bit of what is running through my head right now. For the last couple the weeks the car has been pretty much ready to go but I was afraid that all my work would be for not so I kind of just let the car sit there. But I am so relieved to say that this chassis foundation is rock solid. I took the car out after a really terrible performance during a points series race, not really expecting much, and the car handled great. A little bit of a push on power but I will attribute that to the esc that acted like an on and off switch. I was able to be very confidant and cut closer lines at tighter speeds because the rear end was locked in, and when I say locked I mean it. The car would feel glued at the rear until you come to the apex and then would rotate quickly but very contrlably. This was with zero tuning, so I have a bunch of different set up options to try and I think with this chassis the sky is the limit

edit- I have to say though that I ran the car after the race was over so the traction was pretty good but it was a fresh layout so the grip the chassis produced is a testament to its ability. Anyway tell me what you think, and yes the pause is caused by the esc and motor cogging. The HK esc did not really live up to expectations but with a different esc I think that the car has the potential to be unparralleled. I ran a lot more laps then the video showed and was able to get a little more consistent but I think that the last two laps of the video best capture the car, this video was of some of the first laps.

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.05.30 at 02:30 AM.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.30, 03:09 PM   #52
DMALMAD
Registered User
 
DMALMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 588
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymvjCDnC4go

Put it up on youtube to try and edit the video quality a little bit.

As for the setup I was running the pn yellow side shock prings (hardest) along with the reflex low profile silver springs (I also ran some medium grease in the shocks and the kingpins). The ride height was around 2.2mm. One of the cool things with this car is the super low ridehieght I can run. With the x-power chassis the front end and the t-plate sit lower than the cf chassis so I have to run a taller ridehieght but with this I can run super low and not rub. The rubbing sound you heard in the video was the body because it was too low. I raised it up later and the car was handling even better. As for the electronics I was still running the atomic digital mg servo with the gogolap reciever and Hobby king esc and also used the pn v2 7500 kv motor. The HK esc was not able to perform startups at all and I will have to look into other esc. I may even drop a brushed system in it and see how that does.

Also doe anyone know how to create a blank setup sheet pdf? I want to make a setup sheet for this specific chassis but do not know what software or tools I would need.

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.05.30 at 03:22 PM.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.05.31, 07:09 PM   #53
Jshwaa
Registered User
 
Jshwaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 218
pdf tools

I use primo pdf, totally free, and it basically adds itself to windows as a printer. You can make anything in any software you want, and save it as a .pdf file when you are done.
__________________
Electrical Engineer
Mini-Z/RC Enthusiast
Jshwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.01, 09:54 AM   #54
egonzalez
Registered User
 
egonzalez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshwaa View Post
I use primo pdf, totally free, and it basically adds itself to windows as a printer. You can make anything in any software you want, and save it as a .pdf file when you are done.
You can also create a Google Doc and save it as .pdf... File-->Download as PDF.. This is also free and you're already a Google Docs user.
__________________
****************************

THE PLACE FOR EVERYTHING RC

www.majsrc.com


Friday Night Mini-z Racing 7PM


****************************

<<< Team Driver for MHS / R1Wurks / DG DESIGNS >>>
egonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.01, 10:22 PM   #55
DMALMAD
Registered User
 
DMALMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 588
I am going to be spending a full day tomorow testing to see what works and doesn't as far as setup and different front ends I can use. I just heard back from my source for the machining and it looks like I can make this avialable as a kit at a very affordable price. However to do so I Need at least 8 people who want one so if you are interested shoot me a pm or email at devin.malmad@gmail.com. THIS IS NOT A PREORDER, I just need to gauge the intrests in order so I can create a solid price and a specific quantity that I would need to get. Most likely I will offer just the chassis and shapeways parts along with a couple other pieces of hardware so as to leave the suspension and electronics up to the end user. I understand it is still early which is why I am asking for you guys to let me know if this is a viable product that you may want to get. Like I said I will continue to test it thoroughly and report my results and this Friday I will put it up against the best car avialable (MRX) in a very competitive point series environment. If you think this is not viable for a production run I would also like to hear your feedback and why. Thanks for following along
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.02, 08:09 AM   #56
Jshwaa
Registered User
 
Jshwaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMALMAD View Post
I am going to be spending a full day tomorow testing to see what works and doesn't as far as setup and different front ends I can use. I just heard back from my source for the machining and it looks like I can make this avialable as a kit at a very affordable price. However to do so I Need at least 8 people who want one so if you are interested shoot me a pm or email at devin.malmad@gmail.com. THIS IS NOT A PREORDER, I just need to gauge the intrests in order so I can create a solid price and a specific quantity that I would need to get. Most likely I will offer just the chassis and shapeways parts along with a couple other pieces of hardware so as to leave the suspension and electronics up to the end user. I understand it is still early which is why I am asking for you guys to let me know if this is a viable product that you may want to get. Like I said I will continue to test it thoroughly and report my results and this Friday I will put it up against the best car avialable (MRX) in a very competitive point series environment. If you think this is not viable for a production run I would also like to hear your feedback and why. Thanks for following along
Firstly, nice job on your mod. You showed some nice progression and followed through to completion.

Secondly, if an alternative to the MRX is what's in mind here, let's see full-on comparisons...height, weight, etc..., as well as an explanation/diagram of why your alternative is more feasible. I'm guessing that price will be your advantage, but if there is something technical here, flaunt it. In your testing, perhaps you could show how your damping system performs better on turns. If you could get some quality videos out there, like those levitezer videos, it should do well. Good luck.
__________________
Electrical Engineer
Mini-Z/RC Enthusiast
Jshwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.02, 09:26 AM   #57
DMALMAD
Registered User
 
DMALMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 588
Yes I will be providing a complete set of specifications but actually it shares the same wheelbase, is slightly narrower (most narrow 1/28th chassis avialable) and the rear pivot system is the most unique part. The Lajf p28 includes a pivot that is kind of similar but has too many mounting points. This is directly like a 1/12th scale and allows tweak adjustment and complete 360 degree control. The very limited amount of slop, direct and quick servo, the infinite amount of adjustments (more than any other chassis) and the abilit to use any electronics you wish is what I think makes the car stand out. From the preliminary test I can already tell that It will be faster than an mrx and my results friday will either confirm or deny that. Sadly a video like that of the levitezer is not possible but a comprehensive step by step build video is in the works when I recieve my production chassis. In that video I will also point out the differnces between the two chassis. I am working on a lot of things right now and with finals happening it is going to take time but expect a lot of things to come out.
Also I have a price point figured out, I am aiming for 115-130 with the chassis, the shapeways parts, and aluminum standoffs and specific shims neccesary and the screws. Reasonable or no? I have a little room to play with but lower than 115 I get close to losing money.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.02, 11:57 AM   #58
Jshwaa
Registered User
 
Jshwaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMALMAD View Post
Yes I will be providing a complete set of specifications but actually it shares the same wheelbase, is slightly narrower (most narrow 1/28th chassis avialable) and the rear pivot system is the most unique part. The Lajf p28 includes a pivot that is kind of similar but has too many mounting points. This is directly like a 1/12th scale and allows tweak adjustment and complete 360 degree control. The very limited amount of slop, direct and quick servo, the infinite amount of adjustments (more than any other chassis) and the abilit to use any electronics you wish is what I think makes the car stand out. From the preliminary test I can already tell that It will be faster than an mrx and my results friday will either confirm or deny that. Sadly a video like that of the levitezer is not possible but a comprehensive step by step build video is in the works when I recieve my production chassis. In that video I will also point out the differnces between the two chassis. I am working on a lot of things right now and with finals happening it is going to take time but expect a lot of things to come out.
Also I have a price point figured out, I am aiming for 115-130 with the chassis, the shapeways parts, and aluminum standoffs and specific shims neccesary and the screws. Reasonable or no? I have a little room to play with but lower than 115 I get close to losing money.
It sounds like you have a lot thought out, including your business model, but about the testing...

This is your advertisement. You are answering the question, why your design and NOT the MRX. You are going to use a time analysis of your design vs. the MRX for this, awesome... When you do this, it would be more powerful to take YOU out of the equation and have it field tested by a non-partisan group of racers. Have them trial test your design and come report to the forum. If that goes well, mass producing/selling them is going to fall in your lap. Otherwise, there will always be room for doubt when you are comparing the two, and with the MRX's presence and fancy website you will be looking at just selling your design to your cousin or a good friend trying to be nice. Not to judge, though, if that's what you are going for, cheers either way.
__________________
Electrical Engineer
Mini-Z/RC Enthusiast
Jshwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.02, 11:27 PM   #59
DMALMAD
Registered User
 
DMALMAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 588
I will be looking to have my chassis tested by others but I do not think my plans warrant the kind of tests you have in mind. I think that the environment I race in is known to be competitive so if it is able to perform in the most competitive environment why would it not be viable, even if it is just me testing.I Will be looking into having a single team driver and I already have one driver in Particular in mind that is the best i know of. This car is aimed for performance and I mainly aim to base my testing at my track because those are the racers I aiming this at. I do not have to be a successful RC company I am just a regular driver who thought he could improve on what was avialable and want to share what I have created with others. This Friday will be the true test (as will the following race nights) but I had a good practice session today and I think that my chassis can possibly be on par with the Mrx chassis and for its preliminary tests it has shown to continue improving. I look forward to hearing more feedback and am just happy that I made it this far, every thing else aside

And no I would never consider selling a chassis like this to anybody who is not as serious as me about racing. I understand you were joking but I take racing very seriously and this is a project not an attempt to get experience starting a buisness or to make money through pity. I designed the chassis with racer oriented buyers in mind. Also this was not a "mod" this was a complete redesign of many aspects and is an entirely different chassis that uses three items from Kysosho it was not an alteration to the mini-z but a stab at an innovative 1/28th chassis.

Last edited by DMALMAD; 2015.06.02 at 11:44 PM.
DMALMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015.06.03, 09:40 AM   #60
Jshwaa
Registered User
 
Jshwaa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMALMAD View Post
I will be looking to have my chassis tested by others but I do not think my plans warrant the kind of tests you have in mind. I think that the environment I race in is known to be competitive so if it is able to perform in the most competitive environment why would it not be viable, even if it is just me testing.I Will be looking into having a single team driver and I already have one driver in Particular in mind that is the best i know of. This car is aimed for performance and I mainly aim to base my testing at my track because those are the racers I aiming this at. I do not have to be a successful RC company I am just a regular driver who thought he could improve on what was avialable and want to share what I have created with others. This Friday will be the true test (as will the following race nights) but I had a good practice session today and I think that my chassis can possibly be on par with the Mrx chassis and for its preliminary tests it has shown to continue improving. I look forward to hearing more feedback and am just happy that I made it this far, every thing else aside

And no I would never consider selling a chassis like this to anybody who is not as serious as me about racing. I understand you were joking but I take racing very seriously and this is a project not an attempt to get experience starting a buisness or to make money through pity. I designed the chassis with racer oriented buyers in mind. Also this was not a "mod" this was a complete redesign of many aspects and is an entirely different chassis that uses three items from Kysosho it was not an alteration to the mini-z but a stab at an innovative 1/28th chassis.
sigh...

Quote:
I will be looking to have my chassis tested by others but I do not think my plans warrant the kind of tests you have in mind.
You insinuate that I am suggesting your test specifications, and I am not. I am simply saying the testing should be impartial.

Quote:
I think that the environment I race in is known to be competitive so if it is able to perform in the most competitive environment why would it not be viable, even if it is just me testing.
Because wouldn't it be more effective to have a 3rd party boasting about how great your design is, and not just you? Think about it...

Quote:
This car is aimed for performance and I mainly aim to base my testing at my track because those are the racers I aiming this at.
That's great, but don't let your obsessive desire to be 'exclusive' drive you to be so ignorant to think that 'performance' is something that only pertains to your style of racing. How stupid...

Quote:
I do not have to be a successful RC company I am just a regular driver who thought he could improve on what was avialable and want to share what I have created with others.
THAT'S AWESOME!!!! Who could have a problem with that?? I surely do not, so ease up a little.

Quote:
And no I would never consider selling a chassis like this to anybody who is not as serious as me about racing. I understand you were joking but I take racing very seriously and this is a project not an attempt to get experience starting a buisness or to make money through pity. I designed the chassis with racer oriented buyers in mind. Also this was not a "mod" this was a complete redesign of many aspects and is an entirely different chassis that uses three items from Kysosho it was not an alteration to the mini-z but a stab at an innovative 1/28th chassis.
I don't know where this obsessive desire to differentiate >>your<< form of racing from the definition of racing itself. You play stupid semantics with the word 'racing', well what about the mini-z? If I wanted to be a little child about your contributions to the forum, I would be pounding at the point that you don't even race mini-z's. You constantly run about the discussions with your big hard on talking about how your complicated rig-ups are so revolutionary, in a mini-z forum. Why don't you go to a forum on Corvette's and tell them how awesome your Ford Mustang is?

I didn't make up the notion that you will be trying to sell your design. You stated so. Excuse me if I offered a couple points on what you are doing from an angle of 'helping'. Good day.
__________________
Electrical Engineer
Mini-Z/RC Enthusiast
Jshwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mini Inferno RTR/ARR Blowout & 40% all Mini Inferno Parts Mrs Mini-Z Promotions 0 2010.09.02 07:58 AM
shop.tinyrc.com: We're heating things up with a Mini Inferno Blowout and More! Mrs Mini-Z Newsletters 0 2010.09.01 03:51 PM
Originator of the 5 Cell Mini Z with BIG BAD JOHNSON NOMOTORLIMIT Miscellaneous Discussion 8 2002.12.07 11:23 PM
Pugot Body? Raising the Mini Z Chassis and Track Jumping Rally? Mini Z Chicks! <<help MachinaX Parts and Hop-ups 11 2002.05.26 06:25 PM
Mini Z vs Colt Mini Justin Miscellaneous Discussion 71 2002.01.18 08:31 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 Mini-ZRacer.com
Mini Inferno Sale - Up to $85 Instant Savings!
Micro-T Hop-Ups
RC18R, M18, Micro RS4, Mini-LST, TamTech-Gear, Minizilla, RC18T, RC18B, RC18MT
shop.tinyrc.com Products

more»
Tiny RC Community News
[03/22/17] MZR was on vacation, didn't... : All kidding aside, the host experienced a bit of a server meltdown last week and efforts to restore the site to a new server took longer than anticipated. The current server is temporary until - more»
[11/25/15] Did You Hear? Our Black... : Hey Racers,
We're getting started a bit early with our Black Friday sale this year.  Generally we're not supporters of retailers opening early on Thanksgiving, but in our case, we're - more»
[06/30/15] shop.tinyrc.com: Have You... : Hey All! Just a quick reminder to everyone that we post all of our shop.tinyrc.com Newletters here on the MZR Forum. If for some reason you miss them in your email inbox, you can always see the - more»
Mini-Z, Mini-Z Racer, MR-02, MA-010
M18, M18T, RC18T, Mini-LST, Mini-T, Micro RS4, XRay, 1/18, 18th scale
XMODS, XMOD, Micro Flight, ZipZaps, ZipZaps SE, Bit Char-G, MicroSizers, TTTT, Plantraco Desktop Rover, SuperSlicks, Digi Q
Mini Inferno, Mini Inferno ST, half EIGHT, 1/16, 16th scale
Epoch, Indoor Racer, 1/43, 43rd scale
E-Savage, eSavage, eZilla, e-Zilla, HPI
Robots, Bots, Bipeds, Wheeled, Manoi, Roomba, NXT, Lego, Hacking
Crawling, Crawlers, Micro, RC, Losi Mini-Rock Crawler, Duratrax Cliff Climber
Kyosho Minium, Caliber 120, Minium Forums
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, Mini Inferno Hop-Ups, Mini Inferno Parts, M18 Hop-Ups, M18 Parts