Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2018.08.19, 07:54 PM   #1
SuperFly
bitPimp

Audi R8 LMS GT3 Gulf

A while ago, I thought it would be fun to make a car with lights, so I ordered an Audi R8 white body, listed as "Night racing configuration," figuring it would be plug and play with 2mm LEDs as some Autoscale light buckets are configured. Turns out, the body and headlights / tail lights aren't configured to accept an LED, and I didn't feel like doing the custom work necessary.

I'm also currently working on a Gulf livery Porsche 962, so I though I'd do this one that colorway as well, since I was mixing up a custom blue paint and ordering decals anyway.

So I go to Pattos Place to order decals, and found the 962 Gulf livery, no problem, even in Steve McQueen's number and configuration. Then I looked up the R8, but had a bit of a brain fart when looking at the years. The R8 in 2001 was an LMS car that looks like this:

As you can imagine, the decals I received had no relationship to the late 2000s R8 GT body I wanted to put them on. I got out the Xacto knife and did the best I could to make an interesting fit.

Materials:

Boyd's Enamel Pacific Blue mixed with Model Master Classic White
Krylon Chrome silver rattle can
Future floor polish clearcoat
Scale Motorsport 1:24 carbon fiber pewter twill decal
Patto's Place decals for aforementioned LMS car
A couple custom decals from an old sheet
Shapeways bumper reinforcement
Goop
Super Glue
Testor's glue for clear parts

Here's the first pass with the blue base, and the black details on the front and back. The color looks more washed out than it is, but I was going for that vintage pale blue Gulf combo:

And here's where it ended up:

mini-z gallery

Last edited by SuperFly; 2018.08.19 at 08:05 PM.
SuperFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.08.19, 09:56 PM   #2
arch2b

Send a message via AIM to arch2b
I think it turned out well! The color looks fantastic in daylight.

I've picked the wrong decals before, picked the wrong scale, etc. and it's a bummer for sure. I have a little collection now of various racing livery bits and pieces that I can pull from now to add to others or build my own so look at it as an investment of materials for future projects

How did you like working with Future?
arch2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.08.20, 11:36 AM   #3
SuperFly
bitPimp

I like Future because it's fairly forgiving, and not impossible to clean up and re-do if you have a mistake. I've built some models in the past where I screwed up literally weeks of work with a bad clear coat. It airbrushes nicely, and has a long enough workable time that if you get too much on and it pools, you can dab up any drips with the corner of a paper towel.

mini-z gallery
Old 2018.08.20, 12:21 PM   #4
arch2b

I only have experience brushing it on. I like that its self leveling so to speak to you don't have to worry about pools, drips, etc. as it will simply run off or level out.
Old 2018.08.20, 09:18 PM   #5
GIHOSU
Unregistered Abuser

That is stunning, I love the way the color came out. The sticker work is very well done too.

I paint all my lexan bodies with Tamiy@ Corsa Gray and that is very close to my favorite color.
GIHOSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.08.21, 12:09 AM   #6
EMU
EMUracing

Send a message via AIM to EMU
I always love the gulf scheme, yours is one of the best that I've seen.
Old 2018.08.21, 02:53 PM   #7
SuperFly
bitPimp

Thanks!

I think I forgot to mention, they're water-slide decals. It's what I've always used, but I'll probably try the vinyl sticker type next time.

mini-z gallery
Old 2018.08.22, 07:18 AM   #8
arch2b

Where did you get your name in waterslide decal made? The resolution of the printing is amazing for such fine script.
Old 2018.08.22, 11:36 AM   #9
SuperFly
bitPimp

I made them with Testor's Decal Paper (I'm sure you've seen it, it's pretty common) and a Canon inkjet printer. I have a Canon Pro 9000 photo printer, the resolution is listed as 4800x2400 dpi. I think the trick for really small and legible is making it black only.

I've had varying degrees of success with the Testor's decal paper. After you print the sheet, you have to spray a perfect clear coat on it with the special clear coat rattle can, and it's really easy to get it too thick or orange-peel textured.

mini-z gallery
Old 2018.08.31, 02:06 PM   #10
herman

great work!
herman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018.09.06, 11:42 AM   #11
refsiul22

Team Gulf! Nice
refsiul22 is offline   Reply With Quote