Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2003.05.28, 04:13 PM   #1
XtremeDareDevil
Monster Overlander

Is the Main/Idler Gear Really THAT Weak?

I have an Overland on the way with a PN Racing SO2 motor and GPM V2 Turbo and was wanting to know if the idler can hold up to the power for at least a while, til an alloy idler becomes more widely available.

I just drive around the house and nail jumps, I rarely get on the breaks hard and never do reverse to forward wheelies. I also drive outside sometimes on a dirt track or concrete. I want to know if it can hold up for a while in these conditions. Thanks, i just don't want to screw up my idler after a few days, that really is disappointing.

The Ultimate in Mini-Off-Roading.
XtremeDareDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.05.28, 05:26 PM   #2
OverlandPajero

Send a message via AIM to OverlandPajero
=/

i had your exact same idea, to wait for it to become more available. I only ran indoors only, hit small jumps but used the overland alot. I never did any reverse to foward wheelies and rarely use reverse or braking in general. I thought i would be the last one in the world to break it b/c i kept it so clean and i was so careful b/c i know how easy it is to strip. Well one day i take , maybe a 3 inch up jump on to carpet and believe it or not, the thing wouldnt move as soon as it landed. i checked everything and it was that 1 tooth on the idler gear stripped. honestly , its really not worth it to save a few bux for shipping on e.b.a.y from japan then to be out of commision for over a week b/c you wanted to wait. so do yourself a favor and order it. Im sure you will be more at risk with a upgrade motor, i was only using a stock OL. this is one of the easiest things to break especially if you keep your diff locked and it hurts the most b/c w/o it you cant run your OL.

just my .02
OverlandPajero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.05.28, 07:56 PM   #3
BLiND
None better.

I've had my stock idler in my overland and have been running it since new years day, it runs fine...no wear on it at all.

yes I pop wheelies a lot, yes it has a ton of runtime on it (just look at any of the pictures I've posted) and I run on dirt, short spotty grass, cement, hardwood, and carpet.

I also jump mine a lot, but I didn't learn to jump with the overland, I raced 1/10th scale stadium trucks for several years so I know not to land on power, that's how gears are stripped.

My hunch is mines lasted because I've never run my overland without the bearings on the idler gear

oh yea, I also have monster size tires on it, and I still pop wheelies with the truck setup like that, and no wear. I do have a GPM delrin/alloy idler gear in my toolbox in case it ever chips a tooth, but I see no need until it actually happens!
BLiND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.05.28, 08:20 PM   #4
XtremeDareDevil
Monster Overlander

I guess I'll be getting some bearings and order that idler off ebay sometime, i just don't like ebay as much as something like d****** or tower or MZR.

I have been watching the bearing battle go on for a while but don't know which to get, i would like to have all 9 bearings in one thing but i heard the only ones like that weren't very good.

I have raced 2WD nitro trucks for 2 years and bashed an electric for 1 year. After blowing out i couple diffs you learn not to land full throttle.

By the way, what is the deal with the alloy/delrin on the gear? Is it half and half?

The Ultimate in Mini-Off-Roading.
XtremeDareDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.05.28, 08:23 PM   #5
BLiND
None better.

yep, the larger portion of the idler gear (part that contacts pinion) is delrin.

the smaller gear, that goes to the *spur* gear on the differential, is alloy.
Old 2003.05.28, 10:59 PM   #6
WhiteyP

Send a message via AIM to WhiteyP
sad

Do youself a favor and get the Delrin Ilder Gear. i'm scared as sh*t to strip it but my Overland is out of commision anyways. I fried the whole controller because i put the batterys in wrong ONCE. OL's are good and all, but its too much of a pain to get reaplcement parts or anything. I have to now go on ebay and pay 36 for a TX. Its not fun. Make sure you get every part you can this way your not out of commish like me and OverlandPajero.

PS - Get knuckles too...those go fast. One of mine is already clearly bent but my OL also went down a few flights of steps .
WhiteyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003.05.28, 11:08 PM   #7
BLiND
None better.

you dont have to buy a perfex transmitter to replace it!

get a futaba 2pcka transmitter on ebay (AKA magnum junior). Should be about 20 bucks, MUCH better unit than the kyosho one if you have to replace it!
Old 2003.05.28, 11:30 PM   #8
WhiteyP

sada

hey BLiND theres a lot of different Magnum Juniors on eBay. If you could give me a exact model number or year i'll be more then happy to get it. Maybe a site...doesn't have to be ebay. Please get back to me
Old 2003.05.28, 11:34 PM   #9
BLiND
None better.

just look for 27mhz AM and get one with dual rate.

the easiest way to tell it has dual rate, is the steering wheel itself is chrome on that model, the cheap model without dual rate has a black wheel on it.

just make sure to get 27mhz AM and not anything else!
Old 2003.05.28, 11:35 PM   #10
BLiND
None better.

oh and other brands will work, some good ones:

airtronics
hitec
jr

just look for 27mhz AM transmitters with dual rate
Old 2003.05.28, 11:36 PM   #11
WhiteyP

asda

Ok thx man. I checked tower and they have 27mhz but i wasn't sure waht model. Ebay doesnt have like any Magnum Juniors. Could i call futaba and order it?
Old 2003.05.28, 11:36 PM   #12
WhiteyP

a

Whoa lol. It looks like i can get a lot of TX's now. Good thing Thanks for hte help man. I'm going to check out all these brands. Peace
Old 2003.05.28, 11:40 PM   #13
BLiND
None better.

yea there's more brands, but the quality of those 4 is the best you can get.

heck, if you can find the JR XR2 in 27mhz AM, it comes with a computer screen and has tons of do-dads to play with

any would work just the same, get one that you like the looks of mainly, and next time you race some mini-z's with newbies you'll get a lot of confused looks
Old 2003.05.28, 11:40 PM   #14
WhiteyP

sad

I'm having trboule finding places that sell these. Could you give me a alternative other then eBay? Also which TX out of all of those brands do you reconmend?
Old 2003.05.28, 11:41 PM   #15
WhiteyP

dsdas

Oh **** you already replied. My bad