Mini-Z, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer, MR-03, MR-02, MA-010, Forums, News, Pictures, Parts, and Shop - Mini-ZRacer.com
Forums, Mini-Z, MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z, Kyosho MiniZ, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer
Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Mini-Z Parts, MiniZ Hop-Ups, MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Hop-Ups, Kyosho Mini-Z Parts, Kyosho MiniZ Hop-Ups, Kyosho MiniZ Parts, Kyosho Mini-Z Racer Hop-Ups, Racer Kyosho Mini-Z Parts
Old 2002.01.10, 09:47 PM   #1
Justin

Send a message via ICQ to Justin
Exclamation Mini Z vs Colt Mini

Hi All~!
I am a proud owner of a Kyosho Mini Z but have just purchased another Mini R/C but this time it's made by Colt. The Colt as a stock car has separated the the radio gear into different sections instead of Kyosho (Ko Propo's) speed control board + servo motor running off the same board. Colt's version is different in that it runs an Mini ESC, Mini Servo, and Mini Reciever.

The Colt as a stock car already has these parts which are optional parts on the Kyosho:
Carbon Fibre Chassis, Carbon Fibre Rear Plate, Heat Sink, Stablilizer Set, Front Shock Set, Ball Diff. Set, with a Polycarbonate Body Painted (but not as well as the Kyosho, also minus the DIY sticker job).

And the Mini Z - well - we all own one already so no need to mention it.

My question is WHY is the COLT SO CHEAP COMPARED to the Kyosho? The Colt as is stock is $180AUSD and the Mini Z stock is $280AUSD? The Colt runs a more stable wheelbase setting like the road cars - front 75mm and rear 80mm, where as the Kyosho's front and rear wheel are of the same width (also with a better placement of on board radio gear with the batteries on the bottom of the chassis to improve stablility instead of having them on the side like the Kyosho). Overall the Colt is much more refined than the Kyosho Mini and has cheaper optional parts which do exactly the same job as the Kyosho parts which are at a higher market price and are made from the same place?

I have compared them (I have a Colt and a Mini Z myself), with the following modifications on either car:

Kyosho Mini Z
*Ball Bearing Set
*Rear Shock Plate
*X-Speed Motor

Colt Mini
*Ball Bearing Set
*X-Speed Motor

But the Colt takes off faster on the acceleration, has a higher top end speed, has better stablility overall on any track surface either it be carpet or pavement, and is also of a larger scale (1/24) where as the Kyosho is of (1/27~1/28). The Colt's optional parts are at least an 1/4 of the price of the Kyosho optional parts - ie: rear shock. The Colt's rear shock costs $6AUSD and the Kyosho's rear shock set costs $45AUSD.

I think Kyosho has some serious explaining to do for the price of their Mini Z parts and Items although I'm proud owner of a Mini Z but have no idea WHY they cost so much compared to the Colt pricewise and performance wise. I hope some of you will follow me in purchasing what I discovered and found to be of a better standard than the Kyosho Mini Z (not that I am knocking the Mini Z in any way since I have one and like the damn thing).

In total my fully upgraded Colt cost me $210 AUSD. I've added:
*Full Ball Bearings
*Colt modified Motor
*Rear Shock Set
*Hard Springs
and with the previous stock parts - ie carbon fibre parts.

My Kyosho is at least $400AUSD. And I've only added:
*Full Ball Bearings
*X-Speed Motor
*Nylon Wheel Nuts
*Rear Shock Set
*Spring Set

I think Kyosho has some serious explaining to do for us owner of Mini Z racers. This message is in no way to offend Kyosho but they are seriously overpricing their items...
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.10, 09:52 PM   #2
Brett
#1 Drifting Motor Killer

i agree
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.10, 09:54 PM   #3
jcostantino

I've never heard of the Colt, do you have more info or a webpage?

Jeff
Old 2002.01.11, 01:10 AM   #4
PorscheGuy964
House Plant

Send a message via AIM to PorscheGuy964
do you ahve a pic of the colt next to the min-z?
or a pic of just the colt?
PorscheGuy964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.11, 02:02 AM   #5
Draconious

Send a message via AIM to Draconious Send a message via Yahoo to Draconious
yep they over charge, definatly, thats why I dont actualy buy my mods, I just make them ... While trying to build my own carbon fiber plates, I found that they over charge on those too, I guess those bags their parts come in are kinda expensive .

But what it comes down too is, if you pay it... they will charge it.

Proof is in the old servo gear price vs the new servo gear prices, Use to sell for 15-20$... and it now sells for 5-6$.. (official Kyosho Gears). They cost them about 2 cents each of the 3 gears to make...
Old 2002.01.11, 02:46 AM   #6
Mondo
Mini-Zedologist - Fear me

What's in a name?

Never heard of 'Colt' before.

Nice to have a new kid on the block, but I'd rather stick with a name I know - Kyosho..

Also, in 2 years time, will Colt still be galloping and will they have spares for their product? As for the scale, well 1/24 makes more sense for 3rd party bodyshells from model kits and slot car polycarb/Lexan.

I'd like to see one, obviously Justin is proud of his new Colt and feels hard done by Kyosho.

One thing you cannot deny is the quality of the Mini-Z and the amount of aftermarket hop-ups you get for one reason: The product is made by Kyosho!

I look forward to the link for Colt RC cars.

Mondo
Old 2002.01.11, 04:01 AM   #7
Mondo

*Click* *Bang!*

I did soem searches via Yahoo, Google and Altavista under the search string of: Colt RC; Colt Radio Controlled; Colt Mini RC and a few other combinations.

I found once hobby shop down under (In Australia, where sheep sleep with their tails against the wall) that does Colt RC.
They make 1/10 eletrics and IC (Nitro) cars.

Nothing on their 1/24 scale. Perhaps it'll gain popularity as it gets more exposure and recognition.
I honestly can't wait to see one.

Justin, I thing Initialdeeznutz's SHO motor with a GPM Twin-Turbo will bruise your Colt badly 'Nutz is going to set an official 30mph (48km/h) plus speed!

Please submit some piccies of the Colt, I'd love to see it, as we all would.
Do they make a really neat F1 replica? No, sorry that's the Kyosho product

Mondo
Old 2002.01.11, 04:16 AM   #8
butler
Mini-Z Chief

Send a message via MSN to butler
I am must be as busy at work as Mondo.

Thats why I can spend all day on this site...

Anyway, I have only been able to fing 1/10th scale electric and nitro RC cars from Colt to.

Sure its not call a cult mini?
butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.11, 04:33 AM   #9
Mondo

Work?

Butler,

Work is a 4 lettered word!

I work from home
I also use a 512K Cable Modem, so I am logged in 24/7

Anyway, I gotta go, I'm busy, I gotta lick a postage stamp or something...

Mondo
Old 2002.01.11, 04:44 AM   #10
butler
Mini-Z Chief

Send a message via MSN to butler
I wish I worked from home

Instead I don't actually do any work I just come to the office and surf the web!

And answer the phone and emails occasionly.
butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.11, 06:22 AM   #11
doctorG04
Mini-Z Novice

Send a message via AIM to doctorG04
Justin, dude, where did you get that Colt mini from!! Come on, fess up! After all, we let you win state of origin. lol, kidding! (my dad is from longreach) so ive got QLD blood in my veins!! (just dont tell anyone) Ha!
Seriously, I havent seen one of those yet, the only other 'mini' I knew of was the HPI 1/18.
More info please!!!

Doc.
doctorG04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.11, 07:53 AM   #12
Mondo

Quest for Colt

Oh..

While searching for 'Colt', I found a lot of references to Colt Armoury, the guys who make handguns.
I also found a lot of tips on the legendary 1911 ACP (AKA Colt .45)

When using the Colt + Radio search string, I came across Colt's statement on 'smart guns for law enforcement'
As in: A gun has a reciever, the cop wears a transmitter on his wrist and if someone takes his weapon, it wont work!

Nothing to do with Mini-Z (Neither has the Colt-Mini RC Car) but interesting anyway

Mondo

-Osama Bin Laden-
Mondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.11, 10:11 AM   #13
yodarc
it's alive!

It is not always true, but 9,999 out of 10,000 times it seems to be. In the World you "get what you pay for". It may be sad but true. For a dramatic example,...you cannot anywhere on this planet pay 50,000.00 US for something that is ALMOST like a Ferrari. To get something that "ALMOST" like a Ferrari, you spend in excess of 100,000.00 US and you know what you get,....?
A FERRARI......just an arbitrary example.

Go here men I don't know if this is them.

http://www.colt.com.tw/

Mike Giles
Houston, Texas US
yodarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2002.01.11, 11:19 AM   #14
Mondo

Colt

yodarc,

Spot on, I reckon that could well be the 'Colt' we're talking about.
I agree, you get what you pay for

The 1/10's theyre advertising are the same as I saw in the Australian model shop web site.

Pity they don't have the 1/24th scale on their website.

Mondo
Old 2002.01.12, 10:15 AM   #15
T Man
Mini-Z Sensei

I don't think that's it.
T Man is offline   Reply With Quote